Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any one dipyourcar(914)?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
this is the only thread I found on the site:
914world dip thread

I'm considering this process for my daily driver/beater.
Click to view attachment
thinking the cost would be around $300ish
the finish would seem to be very forgiving (minimal prep)...just want it to look presentable and somewhat clean.

curious what results others got... confused24.gif

here's their website:
dip your car
r_towle
Damn, I was hoping they would actually dip your car in the stuff for 300 bucks...that would be cool.
r_towle
Read up on the rustoleum paint jobs using a roller, brush and sandpaper/buffer at the end.

That car is worthy of a rustoleum job.....
Have the girls help out...do some stripes too.

I did the bottom 6 inches of the doors on my black BMW, you have seen it.
It was pretty simple todo, just paint it on.
Wait a week or two, wet sand it with 600 grit and buff it.
Done.

Rich
injunmort
you know I am a fan of tractor paint and 3 in roller
r_towle
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 17 2013, 04:26 PM) *

cant do tractor paint and have the john deere look going in that part of jersey...
He would attract a neighborhood intervention.

rich
914itis
QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 17 2013, 12:50 PM) *

this is the only thread I found on the site:
914world dip thread

I'm considering this process for my daily driver/beater.
Click to view attachment
thinking the cost would be around $300ish
the finish would seem to be very forgiving (minimal prep)...just want it to look presentable and somewhat clean.

curious what results others got... confused24.gif

here's their website:
dip your car

Ray,

My son was looking into the plastic wrap as a temp solution for his car next month.

if you find a place, please let me know. that may be a better option
ThePaintedMan
You're going to spend close to $500 to have it plasti-dipped. But if you're going to spend that much for that kind of work, why not rough up the paint with a DA, and shoot the Dupli-Color stuff you can get at Autozone? I bet you could do a decent driver-quality job for under $400 for paint and supplies.

Or you can go to Home Depot and get the Plasti-Dip basic colors in an aerosol can and do it yourself. Keep in mind though, if the paint has a bunch of holes in it/isn't smooth, that stuff won't just peel off later on.
biosurfer1
I've used plasti-dip on a couple cars and it has turned out pretty damn good. I have not done an entire car but I dont think it would be hard at all, just time consuming.
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 17 2013, 03:43 PM) *

Read up on the rustoleum paint jobs using a roller, brush and sandpaper/buffer at the end.

That car is worthy of a rustoleum job.....
Have the girls help out...do some stripes too.

I did the bottom 6 inches of the doors on my black BMW, you have seen it.
It was pretty simple todo, just paint it on.
Wait a week or two, wet sand it with 600 grit and buff it.
Done.

Rich

definitely going to look into this option too....plan on driving this car all year round, so this might be a better way to go.
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 17 2013, 04:28 PM) *

cant do tractor paint and have the john deere look going in that part of jersey...

rich

mort's tractor yellow teener actually does look good (10 foot paint job), another option... idea.gif
rmital
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 17 2013, 05:58 PM) *

You're going to spend close to $500 to have it plasti-dipped. But if you're going to spend that much for that kind of work, why not rough up the paint with a DA, and shoot the Dupli-Color stuff you can get at Autozone? I bet you could do a decent driver-quality job for under $400 for paint and supplies.

Or you can go to Home Depot and get the Plasti-Dip basic colors in an aerosol can and do it yourself. Keep in mind though, if the paint has a bunch of holes in it/isn't smooth, that stuff won't just peel off later on.

...ok, now have to look into this product too...."Dupli-Color".
glad I posted cause never would have know about any of these products.
r_towle
QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 18 2013, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 17 2013, 04:28 PM) *

rich

mort's tractor yellow teener actually does look good (10 foot paint job), another option... idea.gif

go for deere green with the Porsche side stripe in yellow...
Do it...all the neighbors will be jealous.

rich
matthepcat
I just "dipped" my co-workers old 540i. It took 2.6 gallons of pre-thinned dip to do 7 coats.

Turned out really nice, and much cheaper than a paint job. The sweet thing, is you don't really need to mask off anything(we just did windows for speed and wheels to keep it off the brakes). Just wash, rubbing alcohol wipe down and go.
IPB Image
IPB Image

If the dip starts to look beat-up, you just re-coat.

Matt
ThePaintedMan
A 914 is smaller, so you'd probably need closer to what, 3 gallons? Each of those is $60.00 a pop. If you don't have an appropriate sprayer, you have to buy that too. I do like the fact that you can re-do it, but I'm not sure how well it would lay down on an already spotty paint job. Plus, no matter how much "glossifier" or whatever add-ons those guys sell, Plasti-dip never comes out as glossy as real paint. And you get that "cool" ricer look that everyone is raving about. dry.gif

If it were me, I'd go the paint route.
carr914
This might be an option for Project Cars that are painted, but still on Jack Stands - you know, to prevent chips & scratchs
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 20 2013, 03:43 PM) *

This might be an option for Project Cars that are painted, but still on Jack Stands - you know, to prevent chips & scratchs

It's a good idea. But it's not that thick. You'd have to put on a ton of coats to build up any kind of protection for that kind of impact. If you scratch a plasti-dipped car with a fingernail hard enough, it'll go right through.
rmital
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 20 2013, 03:31 PM) *

.... I do like the fact that you can re-do it, but I'm not sure how well it would lay down on an already spotty paint job.

...exactly what I'd like to know...since it's not paint, is it semi-self-leveling like POR15.

I just want an easy way to get the car to be one color...then drive the crap out of the car. I'd consider the rattle can version too. Haven't looked into the cost of that....seems like it would be too simple, but maybe too costly... confused24.gif
matthepcat
The BMW in the picture had super flakey clear coat all over the hood. While not perfect, it certainly is a huge improvement that can be done in your driveway and driven in hours.

It's not for everyone, but you can get a great looking coat and a wide range of colors (including pearl effects).

My suggestion for the best looking coat on the 914 trunk and hood is to paint them off the car sitting vertical.

Matt
matthepcat
You can use a cheap home depot sprayer(high volume low pressure). A 914 probably could get by with 1-2 gallons. You can buy the full strength dip, and thin it yourself for cheaper.

You certainly will not get a glossy paint job, but its cheap and if you screw up you just peel it off and paint again.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 20 2013, 12:31 PM) *

A 914 is smaller, so you'd probably need closer to what, 3 gallons? Each of those is $60.00 a pop. If you don't have an appropriate sprayer, you have to buy that too. I do like the fact that you can re-do it, but I'm not sure how well it would lay down on an already spotty paint job. Plus, no matter how much "glossifier" or whatever add-ons those guys sell, Plasti-dip never comes out as glossy as real paint. And you get that "cool" ricer look that everyone is raving about. dry.gif

If it were me, I'd go the paint route.
Eric_Shea
Don't do it. That's a rare "Johnny Player Special" 914! ohmy.gif
rmital
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 20 2013, 05:14 PM) *

Don't do it. That's a rare "Johnny Player Special" 914! ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
barefoot
Only thing I'd think about it would be for wheels, mine are in need of re-finishing,
not too expensive of an exercise. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.