Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Planning for Windshield Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
One of these days I'm going to have to replace my windshield since there is a crack along the bottom. If I'm fortunate, the car will also get repainted at the same time.

I want to switch to 914Rubber's windshield gasket (http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-chrome-replacement-rubber-914WSR.htm) and I'm wondering just how different it is to mount a windshield using this instead of the stock chrome trim.

Basically, I'm wondering what you tell your windshield installer so that they'll know how to do it.
etcmss
did it myself.
the install by a vendor shouldn't need a lot of explanation.
put rubber around windshield, place windshield ribbing on body, land windshield.
you need to fill the holes for the clips before installation
Gary
ThinAir
Thanks, Gary! Even if I'm paying someone else to do the work for me, I like to understand what's involved. Sounds pretty clear.
Andyrew
I bought the rubber from Mikey and had the pro's install it with a new windshield. Very happy.

Lemme see if I can find a pic.
Andyrew
As good a pic as any IPB Image

etcmss
.my installation
ThinAir
I like the look, but what got me to thinking of doing this is that every time I wash my car I see lots of "junk" wash out from under the chrome trim. I'm thinking that the chrome trim traps moisture and junk under it and that the rubber would be a seal to keep that stuff out of the area.

Is 914Rubber's gasket a continuous circle or is it a "straight" piece that has a but joint where the ends come together? Does it seal like I'm thinking it does, compared to the chrome trim?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.