Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems with redline conversion kits ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbreitkreutz
I am trying to install a redline conversion kit #K 297. Which is the progressive two barrel weber on my 2.0 l. I cannot get the manifolds to align up properly to the cast carb base. I have tried with the swap of manifolds, but if I can get it to mate with the manifold it is way off the bubble on the level.

Has anybody used this kit that worked or not.

Daniel
cwpeden
Are you wearing your fireproof underwear?

No-one here will have anything good to say about this conversion. If the original FI is not an option and your looking for more power or driveability you will need to approach it differently.

And so the saga begins....

Good luck and welcome.png
zambezi
You now know one of the many reasons this kit is not recommended on our engines. Sorry can't help
Mark Henry
You must adjust the float on those carbs....toss it into the nearest body of water (river, pond, lake or ocean) and see if it floats.
If it floats you're good to go.
rick 918-S
I'm sure you will continue to try to make it work because you have it but you will soon realize just how bad that setup is. Hopefully before you damage the engine.

welcome.png
jcd914
welcome.png

Take pictures of the runners not lining up with the manifold and send the kit back to Redline and get a dual carb kit. Dual 40s are a good match for the 2.0l engine but even the dual single barrel 34s are a world better than the single weber 2bbl.

Jim
dbreitkreutz
To everybody out there..

Thanks for the constructive help. Why do I get BS when I am asking a question from this forum.

You cannot tell me that all of you are still running the Bosch FI....
That set-up had it's share of problems.

Do not worry I will never ask a question again.
carr914
QUOTE(dbreitkreutz @ Aug 17 2013, 02:32 PM) *

Has anybody used this kit that worked or not.

Daniel

QUOTE(dbreitkreutz @ Aug 18 2013, 12:45 PM) *

To everybody out there..

Thanks for the constructive help. Why do I get BS when I am asking a question from this forum.

You cannot tell me that all of you are still running the Bosch FI....
That set-up had it's share of problems.

Do not worry I will never ask a question again.

Too Bad you didn't listen to the advise given. That kit is one of the Worst things ever offered for a 914. I bought a 914 with one not knowing - I soon had a New Engine.

It's not that everyone is still running the FI (which is the ideal set-up for a stock motor) or Dual Webers, it's about telling you the single Holley is bad

Most of the people commenting here are long-time Members who have 'been there, done that", and have seen others ask the same question. If you choose to ignore advise after your 4 Posts, then Good Luck to you and say Hi to the Dr. for us bye1.gif
Mark Henry
That aboot sums it up....
I've been wrenching on VW engines for 30+ years I won't even look at one with a single progressive. Sure you can get it to run but it will never run right.
Even the factory never offered a single carb on a type four engine, and seeing as it would have been cheaper you can bet they tried.

Stock FI
Stock dual carbs (bus)
Aftermarket FI
Dual Kadrons on type one
Dual webers (or dells)
rick 918-S
You purchased junk headers even after seeing a "F" rating on ebay. Now you purchased a crap intake that even if carb fit it doesn't maintain proper suspension of the fuel/air and will never run correctly. You sold all your F.I. stuff in the classified cheap and were the ass holes for pointing out the errors of your ways.

We have a search function here and are more than happy to answer questions before you spend your money. I wonder what your reaction would have been if you would have asked first before buying that junk.

I hope your not trying to run your big bore 2.0 with that crap.
Drums66
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Aug 17 2013, 11:39 AM) *

Are you wearing your fireproof underwear?

No-one here will have anything good to say about this conversion.

.....Like going to hell....with gasoline draws. poke.gif
happy11.gif smoke.gif
bye1.gif
914itis
Some people don't want to hear the truth, they want to hear what they want to hear.
Here we tell you the truth based on experience whether you like it or not.

All advice given here were top notch.

Good luck !
bandjoey
Ha...We Love You Man...don't take offense. I couldn't get the old FI to work and bought 34 Dells (dual carbs) and never looked back. My stock 2.0 runs and runs, and the install fit first time. You can search single carb, progressive carb, holly carb, etc on this forum and find so many unhappy people.

Search dual carbs and see hundreds of happy people. Check the classifieds...you'll probably find a set for sale now or soon. Dellorto carbs....CB Performance web site.

welcome.png

We're not flamming you but the product. ar15.gif

dbreitkreutz
OK, I get it. I was just trying to get the "little Guy" more streetable. I have Weber's 44 IDF pair on it now. I have been trying to "tune" them now for several years and just thought this conversion might be the trick. I am wrong.

The webers need rebuilding and chocked down on the venturies and main jets. It has been loading up on fuel and killing the plugs. So I will continue to work with the 44's and return the conversion kit.

I apologize for my comments and if anybody has a chart with the ratio of a main jet to the correction, if the main is sized smaller does the correction need to follow and how much.

Thanks again for any help.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(dbreitkreutz @ Aug 19 2013, 10:34 AM) *

OK, I get it. I was just trying to get the "little Guy" more streetable. I have Weber's 44 IDF pair on it now. I have been trying to "tune" them now for several years and just thought this conversion might be the trick. I am wrong.

The webers need rebuilding and chocked down on the venturies and main jets. It has been loading up on fuel and killing the plugs. So I will continue to work with the 44's and return the conversion kit.

I apologize for my comments and if anybody has a chart with the ratio of a main jet to the correction, if the main is sized smaller does the correction need to follow and how much.

Thanks again for any help.

It might be easier for you to give us the specs of what's installed in the 44s currently. That includes at least venturi size, main jets, idle jets, and emulsion tubes. Then we can give you a ballpark figure for you to start with and tell you where you're possibly out of spec. Keep in mind, all engines want different things, and no one can give you a perfect setup just by hearing what size engine you have. But we can give you a decent baseline, *assuming* that you have a healthy engine, and everything else is working as it should.

Now would also be a good time to buy a copy of Tomlinson's Weber Tech Manual. If you own a set of Webers, it's my opinion you have to have this book. It's also my opinion that if you have carbs on your car, you must learn how they work, and how to tune them.

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.