Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxter Brake Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I've been stock-piling info for an upcoming build. One of the things that always drove me nuts about my 914 was the braking. Even with the BMW/steel lines/braided lines conversion I did, I never felt like I could stop well.

Some quick searches landed me on these.

http://www.dwdesignwerks.com/brakes.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._UP9144_pg6.htm

Brakes like these: eBay Item #251314540239

I did some searching, but didn't find much. With the Boxter brakes being relatively inexpensive, what are the thoughts about these kits?

Here's my criteria next time.

5-bolt pattern (Easy to do)
Big Brakes (e-brake is nice, but I can live without.)
Big Rotors (This may take some work?)

Thoughts?
Eric_Shea
Do you need them?

Big Rotors (This may take some work?)

Again, do you need them? Rotating mass is the absolute worst place to add un-sprung weight to a vehicle. Do you think you will have fade issues with standard 20mm vented rotors? I've never heard of it before.

All the later Brembos are cheap on the aftermarket because wiper seals are $32.50. Bore seals are $18.50. That's $816.00 just in rubber seals to rebuild them (yes, those prices were per bore).

Again, not a big brake hater, i just think your money could be better spent on that project.

Welcome back Doug!

E.
Matt Romanowski
We have regular Boxster brakes on the front of our car with Carrera rear brakes on the rear. Works well for our all out track car. Pad wear running Raybestos pads is almost nill.
Matt Romanowski
We have regular Boxster brakes on the front of our car with Carrera rear brakes on the rear. Works well for our all out track car. Pad wear running Raybestos pads is almost nill.

Also, the Centric (who owns Stoptech) rebuild kit number for the Boxster calipers is 143.37013. Lists for $17.28 at Rock Auto per caliper and includes the 4 seals and 4 dust boots.
Eric_Shea
Beware, those kits don't fit (didn't fit the ones we have here). The gray dust boot that comes with them is the wrong size and type. The bore seals are fine. So far, We've yet to be able to find anything beyond the Brembo kit which is D coded for dealer only.

YMMV
CptTripps
So maybe the Boxters on the front, and Carerra on the rear is the better way to go. I'm not sold on the big rotors, so that one is up for debate.

I'm looking at a Subaru conversion that will put 250-300 to the wheels. I don't want to have to worry about how to stop the thing once I get it up there!

Thanks for the info guys. That's why I love this place.
Luke M
I plan to run the standard Boxster calipers all around my car. The car will see street, autox, & some track time so I wanted more braking power. I got some of my parts from Rich (a914guy) check his ad in the members vendor section. I haven't installed the brake setup and have no answer on how they work. The all mighty Sir Andy also has the same Boxster setup on his 3.6 powered 914. He may be a good person to ask on how they work. Yes, you lose the e-brake but I installed a 911 e-brake setup on my 914 control arms. It's not a 5 minute job but it can be done. If I don't like the Boxster setup, I have a backup set of early 911 aluminum S & 914-6 rear calipers to try out.
SirAndy
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 19 2013, 06:49 AM) *
I did some searching, but didn't find much.

Then you didn't try very hard ... poke.gif biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=170890

popcorn[1].gif
CptTripps
I tried searching "+boxter +brakes" and that didn't return your thread. Wish I'd tried "calipers" (duh!)

Thanks! I'll give it a read and see what kind of a plan I can formulate.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2013, 01:35 PM) *

SirAndy
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 19 2013, 11:34 AM) *
I tried searching "+boxter +brakes"

Maybe if you had tried +boxster instead ...

That 's' in the middle is sort of important.
bye1.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2013, 03:29 PM) *

That 's' in the middle is sort of important.

DETAILS!

Just need to get my Porsche "Sea Legs" back. I'll get there!

Cap'n Krusty
Before you do a rear brake conversion, think about the collateral effects. First, it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle on public roadways in the US without a fully functional parking brake, which must be separately activated, i.e., not part of the service brake system (that means no hydrolocks). If your state has annual or biennial safety inspections, you'll be out of luck. If you get stopped by a cop who's having a bad day or doesn't like 914s, you may also be out of luck. (I had a customer who had to replace his engine and all the fuel system related changes he'd made because his carbed engine was smoking a bit too much and the cop wrote him up for the missing FI system.) Second, the absence of a parking brake may give your insurance company a "way out" of paying a claim or a liability lawsuit if your braking system has been altered in any significant way. Don't fool yourself, they'll be looking for that way out if it comes to them having to pay out big bucks.

The Cap'n
CptTripps
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 19 2013, 09:05 PM) *

Before you do a rear brake conversion, think about the collateral effects. First, it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle on public roadways in the US without a fully functional parking brake, which must be separately activated, i.e., not part of the service brake system (that means no hydrolocks).

Noted! I got that from a few people I talked to today too.

I already ordered the Boxster kit, 4 calipers, and found the Tangerine Racing rear arms with the E-Brake cable assembly.

None of my 914s had ever had an e-brake, so I guess I'm just used to not having one in the car. I will on this one though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.