Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you adjust your windows?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Ok, so a lot of water gets in when it rains. Prolly because there is a gap between the window and the rubber seal. How do you adjust your side windows so that there is no gap?
Aaron Cox
ive read the description in the haynes manual before....

early cars are different then late models. wink.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 9 2004, 11:02 PM)
haynes manual

I gots one of them..thanks. Is the description the reverse order of how it is takem apart? laugh.gif
sj914
Which rubber seal? The Vertical on the rollbar or the horizontal one thats on the top?

If you have the later style window mechanism, you can adjust it to roll up more.

If the window isn't making enough contact with the rubber, because it looks like it's pryed out a bit. You can adjust the window guide at the bottom of the door.
ChrisReale
along the side, between the vertical rubber and the window, there is a gap.
Aaron Cox
there is a few types of adjustments: tilt (in towards car/out) height, and angle fromt to back (mine is lower in the back wacko.gif )
sj914
Just adjust the window guide. There's an adjuster at the bottom of the door.
markb
It all comes down to trial & error (more error on my part). biggrin.gif
McMark
If it's not connecting in the back, you might need to adjust your striker plate for the door latch. Undo the big ass phillips screws and push it towards the center of the car. your doors should be snug* to open and close.

*snug being a firm push required to close the door, and pulling the handle should take more than one finger.
wheelo
I also get some H20, coming from the area where the targa-top, meets the top corner of the wing-window.
Funny though..... Faster I drive... the less it leaks ......

wink.gif
mightyohm
QUOTE(wheelo @ Dec 9 2004, 11:55 PM)
I also get some H20, coming from the area where the targa-top, meets the top corner of the wing-window.
Funny though..... Faster I drive... the less it leaks ......

wink.gif

I think leaks in that area are pretty normal. I have that too. It's the worst when the car is parked.
ChrisReale
I know it isn't going to be water tight. But I want to avoid having 4" of water on the floor after a heavy rain barf.gif
wheelo
Yeah, I had the same exact leak in my '70 teener, was able to create a small seal with some black RTV (silicone) inbetween the targa-top and seal. Works for a while, untill you remove & replace top, several times. Then just need to re-apply .... I should do on current car.... this was the first real rain we have had, and now I know, same .....

icon_bump.gif
ruddyboys
not to steal this thread, but my wing window is loose, how do you tighten that.
East coaster
It's a shame our cars have to leak so bad. It would be awesome to have modern day seals designed for our cars. There's really no reason they have to leak like they do if modern seal technology could be applied. I've owned about 10 914s and all of them leaked like a sieve whether they had new seals or not.

Of course it may seem too strange to drive a 914 in the rain without a constant drip on my left knee! What next, a fog free windshield?? blink.gif
aircooledboy
The problem is not the seals, unfortunately. New or good seals will reduce the problem, but eliminating the leaks is almost impossible due to a 30 year old design. headbang.gif
In our cars, the only things guiding the window as it closes are the channel at the front and the regulator where it attaches to the bottom of the glass. As "frameless" door windows have evolved over the years, manufacturers have learned that they needed to add plastic "guides" to the bottom of the glass that engage with alighment pieces as the window reaches the closed position, firming up the fit into just the right spot. These designs have really only been perfected in the last 10 years or so, and there is no way to retro-fit them to our cars. confused24.gif
Joe Ricard
Just waiting for someone here to say thier car don't leak. bs.gif

I bought the car without carpeting. I will certainly leave it this way as I can wipe up the water once I return home. The PO applied an epoxy paint that has stood up fairly well considering the abuse it gets.

Not having carpet also bumped me in AX class but who cares atleast I have rust free floor boards mueba.gif
scotty914
my car has not leaked in a year and a half

but then again its inside
SGB
Replacing the fuzzy strips inside is easy and helps tighten up the window. There are several adjustment locations; a screw on the winder part of the regulator limits upward traval. There is a screw through the bottom of the door, near the rear, to adjust rake in and out. Make sure the screw at the top of the track near the door handle is tight, too.
STL914
Some what related to this thread, the first experience I had discovering my first 914 leaked was going through a car wash.
What an eye opener.

I dropped my wife off to get us some sodas for the days PCA drive. I decided to get the car washed to give a good first impressiom to the other club members. I got completely drenched. headbang.gif

My wife laughed her ass off, until she put that same ass into her water filled passenger seat. chairfall.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(STL914 @ Dec 10 2004, 10:53 AM)
Some what related to this thread, the first experience I had discovering my first 914 leaked was going through a car wash.
What an eye opener.

I dropped my wife off to get us some sodas for the days PCA drive. I decided to get the car washed to give a good first impressiom to the other club members. I got completely drenched. headbang.gif

My wife laughed her ass off, until she put that same ass into her water filled passenger seat. chairfall.gif

You drove your 914 through a car wash? ohmy.gif Is that a common practice with other 914 owners? confused24.gif I would never think of doing it. It is just asking for a shower.
STL914
You drove your 914 through a car wash?

Yeah, sure did. I was a newbie, just had the car for about 3 months and was not
aware of the tendencies of these cars to leak.

I've had convertables go through car washes with no problems. Who'd have guessed? It was rather funny, thinking about it, sitting in the driver's seat with high pressure water being sprayed at me.
maf914
I've had a couple of older British cars with simple single ply convertible tops. Those always leaked. When I got the 914 many years ago I thought it's Targa top was a dream come true. Now when I do get caught in the rain, and water is dripping on my left knee from the front corner, I think what an outdated design the top and seals are. I guess it's all relative. I carry a towel in the cockpit at all times, just for such occasions. Oh, and to wipe the fog off the windows. And to wipe the sweat off my face in the summer. And to... laugh.gif

Bitch, bitch, bitch... laugh.gif

BTW, I've never put the 914 through a car wash. Thanks for the warning. When I wash it, I always limit the amount of water I spray around the window seals and never hit the seals directly. ohmy.gif
andys
All this talk about getting wet in a 914 reminded me back when I bought my new '73 2.0, I drove it daily and it never leaked. I recall one particular deluge where I could hardly see where I was going. Nothing got wet inside. Maybe that car was an exception?

Andy
Ctrout
Carwash? Wash car? These cars are so small that I generally just dust it off once in a while and spray it with Windex or something. Then again, my paint sucks anyway so I'm not hurting anything. I try not to drive it when the roads are wet though. I am so glad I live in the desert. Only rains about 10 times a year and when it does, it's so light that I don't even need the wipers.
anthony
Windex??? Try some Eagle1 quick detailer. It's only $4/bottle.
anthony
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Dec 10 2004, 08:09 AM)
Just waiting for someone here to say thier car don't leak. bs.gif

My silver car doesn't leak and I have the floor boards to prove it. My white car leaks like crazy and will have 3 inches of water inside if left outside during a big storm.

Fellas, get your cars inside the garage or at least under a good cover. These cars aren't going to last if they constantly get exposed to the elements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.