Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grinding in to Reverse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buckeye
It's been a while since I've owned a 914 and I'm sorting out bugs on my latest. '71 w/ a 2.0 and side shift trans both freshly rebuilt (under 600 miles) and after driving around for a bit it grinds when putting it in reverse, is it a linkage issue, worn springs at the lever, or a clutch adjust matter?
Cap'n Krusty
Probably a clutch adjustment issue, as reverse isn't synchronized. How is the 1-2 shift? How about the free play in the clutch pedal. Should be a little less than an inch when you pull on the pedal.

The Cap'n
IanS
Here is a snippet from Dr. Evil's transmission info supplement (I think you can PM him for a copy of this 31 page PDF)

*Note: These diagnostic suggestions are all given with the expectation that there is
adequate, clean 90w, GL5 oil in the gear box*

Reverse gear grinds:

Since reverse gear has absolutely no means of synchronization, having it
grind when you are shifting into it is a sure sign that your clutch cable is too
loose, or that some other force is causing the cable not to fully disengage the
pressure plate from the clutch during shifting (clutch drag). This is a problem that
needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Things to consider if your reverse gear suddenly starts to grind:
· Your cable is stretching and may be a about to break
· Your clutch tube has broken free of its supports inside that center tunnel
· Your throwout bearing arm bushing that goes between the fork and the ball
pivot is badly worn, or gone.
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif

Like I was right there smile.gif
buckeye
Alright, I'll check the cable as it's new and may be stretching. I know it has the small plastic cup in fork and ball pivot. I'll also inspect the clutch cable tube. Thanks everyone I really appreciate the pointers!
76-914
If the tubes spot weld is broken you can look down and see the clutch tube move. Just remove the 3 bolts holding the shifter in place then rotate the shifter base 90 degree, step on the clutch and watch. Or remove the tunnel access cover near the firewall and check there for movement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.