Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taking the Tbars out...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Since no one responded to my Rear Caliper Adjuster Screw Stuck Thread I figured I'd put in the new 22mm T bars.

Only problem is I cant get the darn things out.. Took the adjuster and other thing off.. Then The front thing off as according to the haynes... Then it said to pull or push it out... Wont freekin move (wiggles.. but thats it..) Is the front part (in relation to the car) like a dust cap thats suposed to come off? cus its not...

How to's??

Thanks... Im running out of things to do waiting for dad to get home...

garage is clean... lol...

Andrew
Aaron Cox
ive only pulled them after ive pulled the a arm.....
Andyrew
Dont see how it would make any diff.... theres no load on it...

How did you do it?

BFH?
Aaron Cox
pulled the adjusters.... got a rag, grabbed the torsion bar and pulled. what would you hit with a hammer? they only go in one way wacko.gif
Andyrew
Thats what I thought...

They only go one way.. but they dont want to come out....?????

got a glove.. pulled.. no go...

Then I see pics with the front of it out.... ????

I thought I would just pull it out, but it didnt pull out any.
Aaron Cox
the adjusters are out correct? so there is no load at all..... idea.gif

you can pull the cap on the front of the a arm..and you can it them out with some sort of dowel.
Andyrew
Dowel... hammer? I always hated when people used the word dowel.. I never quite understood it..

Yes the tensioner (whatever its called) is out.

No tension... but I cant pull neither the T bar, nor the cap...

hit the t bar with a hammer trying to persuade the cap off, no go (have other t bars, I'll trash these if there bad.)

I see brads active... Wonder if he's got any thoughts??

Andrew
Aaron Cox
there is a tech article on PP i think wacko.gif

you have to drill the cap...then pull it IIRC.
hitting the Tbar into the cap wasnt smart,....made your job harder wacko.gif
Andyrew
I looked for a PP article before I started.. Nada...

Then I looked in our tech articles... Nada...

hanes manual was vauge.. my other 3 manuals were vuage as well...

Drill into the cap.. Then pull? I dont see how that would do anything.. lol

I'd rather hear from someone, or read something that says actually what to do... Not a IIRC... before I start drilling wink.gif

Thanks though!
Aaron Cox
haynes 911 manual: drill a small pilot hole in the endcap of the housing. remove with a slide hammer. remove torsion bar. replace cap with new one or fill the hole.

IIRC this! :finger2: biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Mueller
haynes 911 manual: drill a small pilot hole in the endcap of the housing. remove with a slide hammer. remove torsion bar. replace cap with new one or fill the hole.

easier method, smack torsion bar with a BFH, it'll remove the cap and the torsion bar will slide out the front of the a-arm

you can drill the cover, and insert a punch and try to push the torsion bar out towards the rear of the car...fill up the hole by welding it or with rtv

got a dremel? cut a slot in the screw that is giving you trouble on your calipers, use a large standard screwdriver to remove the screw
skline
I punched mine out with a hammer. It popped the cap off and came right out the front. It took a couple of hits but it worked.
Andyrew
I tried with my biggest hammer... No go...

Put some lube on the cap.. see how it is in the morn...

Andrew
jtf914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 12 2004, 02:00 AM)
you can drill the cover, and insert a punch and try to push the torsion bar out towards the rear of the car...fill up the hole by welding it or with rtv

agree.gif That worked for me.....
dan10101
We tried the big -=-- hammer again with more determination. Popped right out the front. smilie_pokal.gif
On to the next side, should go a bit quicker... Thanks once again!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.