Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project Time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
Well I am happy to say that I finally have a shop to work in. We have about 6000 sq ft (I have about 2000 sq ft to myself) and I think we are getting a 2 post lift in there as well.

I am wanting to go ahead pull the motor for a rebuild and then repair the longs while I am at it. I am starting to do research on the long repairs that others have done.

Is it still possible to get the Engman kit? I saw a thread that he passed away last year. Condolences to his family and friends. From what I have read he was the best.

Any other kits that I could use in stead of that?

I really like this thread I found. I like how he built his braces between the door hinge and shoulder harness. I am a bit intimidated by this project but I know it is the right thing to do. I am about to stat pulling things apart as soon so I will be posting pics as soon as I do. Anyone have any other advice before I start and it is much appreciated.
Any other words of wisdom before I start?
Jmedeiros
Along with bagging and tagging, take pictures so you know how it goes back together! Have fun & post lots of pictures!!
ThePaintedMan
It would be wise to see if there is anyone in your area who can help you through the process if you want to get it right the first time.

On top of that, you need to brace the car well, before doing ANYTHING else regarding metalwork. Chris Foley (Tangering Racing) sells a really nice adjustable door bar setup which will do the trick of keeping the car braced while you weld away.

I would suggest identifying all of the pieces that will need to be cut out, then ordering them from Restoration Design. I tried to do it the cheapskate way by fabbing my own pieces, and while functional, I didn't save any money (probably lost some on the million cutoff/grinding wheels I purchased). I learned a lot about metalwork, but if I had to do it over, I'd always prefer to get as many pre-fabbed pieces as possible.

To answer your other question, yes, Engman has left us unfortunately. But another member here, maddog, is making a similar kit. So far, from what I've heard the response has been very good and his kit is quality. Might send him a PM.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.