Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Smoke Distributor Shaft Wear ? Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thompson-mfr
Hi All,

Please see the video I took of my car and give your opinion.

It is smoking on deceleration, in between shifts, and when I let off the gas. Nothing at idle. It started doing this all the sudden????

And maybe a separate issue: When I push on the distributor (towards the passenger compartment) the idle acts normal. When I pull on the distributor the idle goes way down. The reason I noticed this is the idle has been really low and I discovered this. Eventually it reverts back to a low idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvslHrr35A...eature=youtu.be
76-914
Are you saying the dizzy will move up and down (push-pull?) or it will move left to right? It shouldn't move at all. If up n down the retaining clamp is loose. Lifting or pushing it seems like it would change timing. Left/right movement isn't right either. I don't think a worn o-ring would allow lateral movement. Pull that thing and see why it is moving.
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 3 2013, 09:23 AM) *

Are you saying the dizzy will move up and down (push-pull?) or it will move left to right? It shouldn't move at all. If up n down the retaining clamp is loose. Lifting or pushing it seems like it would change timing. Left/right movement isn't right either. I don't think a worn o-ring would allow lateral movement. Pull that thing and see why it is moving.

Not up and down . It moves backwards and forwards. You don't really feel like you are moving it, but you notice the change in idle and running condition when you do
push/pull.

I will pull the distributor and take a pic.

Anyone on the smoking problem? Watch video please.
Kirmizi
Your smoking problem sounds like rings to me. confused24.gif
thompson-mfr
Ok, I took pictures of my distributor shaft.

Please see if you see anything that looks incorrect.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Smoking on decel, between shifts, is a symptom of worn valve guides.
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 5 2013, 04:10 PM) *

If I have worn valve guides (assuming rings are good) my compression should be normal. Correct?

Let me ask it another way valve guides will not affect compression correct?
pilothyer
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ Sep 5 2013, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 5 2013, 04:10 PM) *

If I have worn valve guides (assuming rings are good) my compression should be normal. Correct?

Let me ask it another way valve guides will not affect compression correct?

As long as the valves are sealing properly in their seats the worn guides should not cause any compression loss.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.