Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missed shifts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
This past weekend the wife and I started a 400 mile trip to see her folks, half way there we stopped for potty time. When we departed my tranny shifting had become very hit and mostly miss, I fought this prob for the next 200 miles. AM inspection finds a brass bushing at the tranny end had started breaking up allowing ALOT of slop to confuse the driver[me] as to what gear I was in, and mostly not in! What is this bushing called? Best way to replace? I have fair skills, 40 by 40 shop, time, books. PS. The car ran very well over the 400 miles, and is ' For Sale' Bob Arnett
Woody
Is the bushing outside the trans? Maybe you can post a picture? Replacing bushings is not a big deal. Do a search, there are plenty of topics on it.
Bartlett 914
The bushing at the shift console is normally a plastic one. Brass is after market. Installation should be a tight fit. It is pressed in place. If you heat it in boiling water and installing while hot, it goes pretty fast. Unfortunately, the opening in the console gets worn when the old bushing wiggles around. The new one may fit loose. Dont forget to order new cone screws (2)
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 4 2013, 08:16 AM) *

Is the bushing outside the trans? Maybe you can post a picture? Replacing bushings is not a big deal. Do a search, there are plenty of topics on it.

Outside the tranny, at the end of the long shift rod, just before the right turn to the tranny. Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 4 2013, 09:49 AM) *

The bushing at the shift console is normally a plastic one. Brass is after market. Installation should be a tight fit. It is pressed in place. If you heat it in boiling water and installing while hot, it goes pretty fast. Unfortunately, the opening in the console gets worn when the old bushing wiggles around. The new one may fit loose. Dont forget to order new cone screws (2)

Cone screws? No consol, this is at the end of the long shift rod just before it turns to shift knuckle. Bob
jimkelly
you have a

tail shift trans

or

side shift trans

i'm assuming TS

thus you don't have this console?
IPB Image
jimkelly
and you do have this?

IPB Image
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 5 2013, 05:59 AM) *

Cone screws? No console, this is at the end of the long shift rod just before it turns to shift knuckle. Bob

Here is a shift console for a side shift transmission. The cone screws are the set screws that are at each end of the shift rod. Fully remove them. Do not just loosen them to remove the shift rod. When you see them, they are pointed to a cone.
The bushing in question is seen on the left. This one is an after market one. It is using a snap ring. I may have made that one. Normally they are just plastic with fingers that snap the bushing in place.
Dr Evil
If it was modified with a brass bushing, you may just need to re-JB weld the bushing back in. People widen the hole for this sometimes and a plastic bushing will not fit.
bandjoey
Emergency repair for next time - garden hose bushing. Insert through housing and zip tie on both sides to the shift bar. smash.gif Nice Car. Don't sell- you'll regret it later biggrin.gif
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 5 2013, 07:42 AM) *

you have a

tail shift trans

or

side shift trans

i'm assuming TS

thus you don't have this console?
IPB Image

Tale shift tranny. Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 5 2013, 04:15 PM) *

If it was modified with a brass bushing, you may just need to re-JB weld the bushing back in. People widen the hole for this sometimes and a plastic bushing will not fit.

Brass bushing has broken up, how can u tell if hole has been widen?
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 5 2013, 09:12 AM) *

Cone screws? No console, this is at the end of the long shift rod just before it turns to shift knuckle. Bob

Here is a shift console for a side shift transmission. The cone screws are the set screws that are at each end of the shift rod. Fully remove them. Do not just loosen them to remove the shift rod. When you see them, they are pointed to a cone.
The bushing in question is seen on the left. This one is an after market one. It is using a snap ring. I may have made that one. Normally they are just plastic with fingers that snap the bushing in place.

Whats the round org thing in your pic? Bob
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 6 2013, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 5 2013, 09:12 AM) *

Whats the round org thing in your pic? Bob

Missing is the steel part the shift rod is screwed into. It has a socket that the plastic (Orange) part slides into. Thar part presses on a ball that is on the shift rod coming out of the transmission. This plastic part also breaks. I could also be part of your problem. You need to get into this and look.
rhodyguy
when was the last time you replaced ALL of the linkage related bushings to include the 2 that cradle the ball on the shift lever?
Vysoc
I had a similiar problem with my 75 side shifter, I bought the shift bushing kit from Pelican, the plastic bushing at the firewall was toast as was the bushing inside the coupler. The bushing at the transmission was the brass one and was in good shape. After I did the repair the car shifted 100% better I was ecstatic with the $43.00 dollar investment.

The plastic bushing that goes in at the firewall, the one closest to the tunnel is easiest put in by dropping it in boiling water for 3 minutes, you can then snap it in place with one hand.

The coupler bushings can be put in by using a bolt and washers and a nut to pull it in place, use the SEARCH option and find the fix, the explanation is excellent and will save you hours. You can get the coupler on and off with a bench vise.

You have an easy fix and if done correctly why would you sell that beautiful car???

Good Luck!

Vysoc flag.gif
jimkelly
the orange thing is like a bushing or dampener I guess.

it goes on the console lever and is in between the console lever and the gizmo on the end of the shift rod.

IPB Image
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 6 2013, 01:28 PM) *

when was the last time you replaced ALL of the linkage related bushings to include the 2 that cradle the ball on the shift lever?

Never have, I thought slop was normal. LOL
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 6 2013, 03:12 PM) *

the orange thing is like a bushing or dampener I guess.

it goes on the console lever and is in between the console lever and the gizmo on the end of the shift rod.

IPB Image

Dont got one on mine! Bob
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Sep 6 2013, 02:49 PM) *

I had a similiar problem with my 75 side shifter, I bought the shift bushing kit from Pelican, the plastic bushing at the firewall was toast as was the bushing inside the coupler. The bushing at the transmission was the brass one and was in good shape. After I did the repair the car shifted 100% better I was ecstatic with the $43.00 dollar investment.

The plastic bushing that goes in at the firewall, the one closest to the tunnel is easiest put in by dropping it in boiling water for 3 minutes, you can then snap it in place with one hand.

The coupler bushings can be put in by using a bolt and washers and a nut to pull it in place, use the SEARCH option and find the fix, the explanation is excellent and will save you hours. You can get the coupler on and off with a bench vise.

You have an easy fix and if done correctly why would you sell that beautiful car???

Good Luck!
Why am I selling, answer is IN the pic! LOL Bob
Vysoc flag.gif

Java2570
You have a tail shifter tranny on a '75? How about some photos of your tranny? Jon
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Sep 6 2013, 04:00 PM) *

You have a tail shifter tranny on a '75? How about some photos of your tranny? Jon

Will work on that today. Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.