Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removal of rocker panel after 10 years or so
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
previous owner kept this car along his driveway for 8 years and has been non op with last registration of 2003 and after acquiring it last aug. 2011 finally I was able to remove the rocker panels and this what it looks like.

Just after removal I saw cobwebs and dust
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Looks great. In the Midwest it would look like orange swiss cheese.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 5 2013, 05:26 PM) *

previous owner kept this car along his driveway for 8 years and has been non op with last registration of 2003 and after acquiring it last aug. 2011 finally I was able to remove the rocker panels and this what it looks like.

Just after removal I saw cobwebs and dust

After wiping it with a cloth
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cwpeden
Any particular reason for all the 16A fuses? poke.gif
r_towle
Ya, well....we don't have earthquakes....
Dr Evil
Wow
billh1963
You're just showing off! laugh.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Sep 5 2013, 05:40 PM) *

Any particular reason for all the 16A fuses? poke.gif

16 fuses? I don't know since I got it as is. Or is there a difference with the year and with center console with 3 gauges and with previous air conditioning.
jimkelly
first dibs on the longs biggrin.gif
walterolin
Obviously photoshopped. No rust, no jack stands.

Very nice.
Jeffs9146
Clean out those drain holes before you put it back together!

They fill with dirt and then the dirt holds moisture in and rust starts! Clean, flush, clean, blow air, let dry and spray rust inhibitor inside to seal it!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 5 2013, 06:48 PM) *

They fill with dirt and then the dirt holds moisture in and rust starts! Clean, flush, clean, blow air, let dry and spray rust inhibitor inside to seal it!

Sir, which one is the drain hole? Is it the passenger side? No idea sir!
Thank you for your concern!

God bless!

Noel
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 5 2013, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 5 2013, 06:48 PM) *

Sir, which one is the drain hole? Is it the passenger side? No idea sir!
Thank you for your concern!

God bless!

Noel

One of the photos has an obvious hole but the other looks to be covered by the cobwebs or plugged up and painted over! Take a closer look and poke around to find it!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(walterolin @ Sep 5 2013, 05:42 PM) *

Very nice.

Mine looks exactly like that. Only Diamond Silver Metallic... Congratulations.
Jeffs9146
The hole is here on both sides!
cwpeden
in your second pic all the fuses under your dash except 2 are red. Red is a 16A. All but one should be a white 8A. I guess it only makes a diff if there is an electrical problem and it blows at over 16A instead of 8A. Maybe the electrical gurus could chime in.
ndfrigi
[/quote]

Ok thank you sir and yes I will check on those holes.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Sep 5 2013, 11:03 PM) *

in your second pic all the fuses under your dash except 2 are red. Red is a 16A. All but one should be a white 8A. I guess it only makes a diff if there is an electrical problem and it blows at over 16A instead of 8A. Maybe the electrical gurus could chime in.

Maybe I should check those fuses and hoping someone can share a picture of their fuse box and details of those fuses. Thanks again!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 5 2013, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(walterolin @ Sep 5 2013, 05:42 PM) *

Very nice.

Mine looks exactly like that. Only Diamond Silver Metallic... Congratulations.

=========

Thank you!
ndfrigi
Thanks to Scott (Lucky25) who went to my house yesterday to drop some parts I bought from him with free delivery and he encouraged me to remove the rocker panel and check if there is no damage or rust hiding there.

Hoping that Scott will be able to find another 914 after loosing his car from a car theft.
green914
agree.gif Looks great. I am getting ready to pull mine off next month, and it's been about ten years. Don't think mine is going to look as good, sawzall-smiley.gif but I'm ready. welder.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 5 2013, 10:53 PM) *

I just poked the drain holes and yes it was covered half way with paint and dirt. Few dust/sand came out. Just wondering, is this a drain for water and where is it coming from,? trying to find or locate where is it coming from. Thanks again!
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 6 2013, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 5 2013, 10:53 PM) *

I just poked the drain holes and yes it was covered half way with paint and dirt. Few dust/sand came out. Just wondering, is this a drain for water and where is it coming from,? trying to find or locate where is it coming from. Thanks again!

Yes they are to drain water out and if clogged it will rust over time! Stick a wire up inside and blow air, you will be surprised how much dirt comes out!
e_artiles
Not bad! I just uncovered mine as part of my restoration project after sitting on jacks under a tarp for 23 years:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Gotta love California weather! sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.