Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72Signal914
On my 72 my ignition is on the steering column like most cars nowadays, but in a few pictures I have seen them over on the left sideof the steering column like most Porsches are. How come it is different. I've seen the ignition not on the sterring column on both ealry and late models? Did they try it out and people not like it and went back to the original position?
Gint
Factory 914/6 cars have the ignition on the left of the column on the dash.

The later 914's you see with the switch on the left have been converted.
airsix
Tradition. A race car driver can turn the key with one hand and engage first gear simultaniously with the other. This is the traditional Porsche configuration.

The 914-4 was marketed to the rest of the world as a VW, not a Porsche. I suspect the igntion key location was just another gimik to make the six seem more prestigious. (yawn).

-Ben M.

ps - Please don't be offended, but could you maybe trim down the (effectively) 18 line signature to something a little lighter (3 lines is considered the polite norm)? Just a suggestion - not inteded as a jab. Thnx
72Signal914
happy
Aaron Cox
four bangers on the steering wheel shaft
6-ers on the left wink.gif
Bleyseng
Except for the 72 sixes which were on the column also.

Geoff
Mike D.
It's because of the AVAILABLE parts when the cars were assembled.

Porsche built the 6's and used available 911 parts including the ignition switch.

VW Built the 4's and used a column that they already had which included the ignition in a more traditional location, on the column.

The reason Porsche put the key on the left is bucause of racing as mentioned above by Ben M.

Drivers of other race cars would have to start the car and put it in gear with same hand. It took extra time. BTW, none of them used either hand to strap on a seat belt! - blink.gif

-Mike D.
Aaron Cox
and when they did the running start at lemans......they needed both hands as soon as they got in the car! the object of the race is to go as fast as you can: whether you are running starting the engine or driving the car itself!
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 23 2003, 05:19 PM)
and when they did the running start at lemans......they needed both hands as soon as they got in the car! the object of the race is to go as fast as you can: whether you are running starting the engine or driving the car itself!

Interestingly, in 1970, the year that the 914/6 competed and finished 6th overall and first in class was the first year they did away with the running across the track type of start.
Aaron Cox
that is interesting.....well, the tradition lives on then! beerchug.gif
Gint
Except for the 72 sixes which were on the column also.

Geoff

Yeah, but how many of those were produced? I've only seen one in person. I think I've seen even less pics of a 72 914/6 (well there were the pictures of the "one" that I have seen).
tod914
VORTEX - did that guy with the willow green 6 ever contact you? I replied to your email, but the address was invalid
Bleyseng
Course the 72 sixes weren't exported to the USA so there aren't too many here to see.
I think Porsche did cuz it was cheaper, less wires and all that.
Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 23 2003, 09:17 PM)
Course the 72 sixes weren't exported to the USA so there aren't too many here to see.
I think Porsche did cuz it was cheaper, less wires and all that.

not only that but the metal dash-support is also different for the early /6. they probably ran out of them in 72 ...

Andy
Dave_Darling
There were less than 300 1972 914-6es made. None were officially exported to the US. That blue one in Reno was way cool, though!!

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned why the -4s had the column-mounted ignition switch: They were Not A Real Porsche! lol2.gif

--DD
Qarl
Dave... good to see you back after a while of not posting. I like the mask avatar better. You should bring it back for a while. It's more attractive.
Curvie Roadlover
Did the 72 six's have an adjustable passenger seat?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(kellzey @ May 24 2003, 07:16 PM)
I like the mask avatar better. You should bring it back for a while. It's more attractive.

ouch! he said that you be "unattractive" .... laugh.gif lol2.gif
Dave_Darling
Heh, better'n most. Most people just call me f***in' ugly! biggrin.gif

Don't worry, though--it's about time for a change of avatar anyway. I'll start workin' on a new pic this weekend, or early next week.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.