Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Pad removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
e_artiles
Can the top dash pad be removed without removing the steering wheel? All the articles I've seen say to take the steering wheel off, but in the pictures it doesn't appear to be in the way.
Dr Evil
Yes. You need to remove the instrument cluster to get at some nuts, though.
Jeffs9146
It can be done but it is a PITA to work around the gauge cluster and get to the back nuts! I have small hands, if you have larger hands good luck!

PS: You can also loosen the allen bolts that hold the stearing wheel and drop it down and out of the way!

jim_hoyland
See : http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42757

It's in the classics
e_artiles
Loosening the allen bolts on the steering wheel might be the ticket! I'm just not ready to remove the wheel out right.
JeffBowlsby
Removing the wheel is a 2 minute job - one nut to the center shaft. Whats the concern?
timothy_nd28
Since you're going in there, would you mind taking a few pictures? I need a pic of the supporting frame bracket behind the tachometer.
MoveQik
You will find that if you decide to remove the steering wheel...THAT is the easiest part of the process. There is no simple way to remove the dash pad.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 10 2013, 08:17 PM) *

Removing the wheel is a 2 minute job - one nut to the center shaft. Whats the concern?

agree.gif 27 mm socket. loosen nut half way. pull steering wheel loose, loosen nut all the way and remove wheel.

leaving the nut on until you get the wheel loose will keep you from pulling with a lot of force and hurling the wheel into your face.
Jon H.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 10 2013, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 10 2013, 08:17 PM) *

agree.gif 27 mm socket. loosen nut half way. pull steering wheel loose, loosen nut all the way and remove wheel.

leaving the nut on until you get the wheel loose will keep you from pulling with a lot of force and hurling the wheel into your face.

agree.gif BTDT headbang.gif
r_towle
It takes more than 2 minutes and cost a bit if you need to go to sears and buy not only a socket, but extension and 1/2 inch drive......

S the question may be can it be done without have to remove the wheel...right now, or do I need to go get all these tools and blow my weekly tool budget.... smile.gif
rhodyguy
mark the current orientation of the wheel with a fine tip sharpie. one mark on the wheel and one on the shaft face.
DRPHIL914
when i did mine i did not disconnect the wiring for the gauges, i was able to let i hang there but as previously stated you have to pullthat out of the way to get at the connectors under the gauge cover.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...849&hl=dash
lsintampa
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Sep 10 2013, 08:31 PM) *

You will find that if you decide to remove the steering wheel...THAT is the easiest part of the process. There is no simple way to remove the dash pad.

agree.gif
Rockaria
I take the steering wheel off all the time to do interior work. You will see instantly how much that darn thing was in the way.
e_artiles
OK, braced the steering wheel with a 2x4 and used a breaker bar...the nut came off like nothing! You're right, much easier to work in that area without it in the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.