Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lug bolt conversion HOW TO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete
I'm sure there must be a "How to" on here somewhere but for some reason every time I search a topic I get nothing. When you do a lug bolt conversion do you buy new hubs? Or are the original hubs drilled and new studs installed?
jimkelly
I assume you are talking about going to 5 lug?

you can do either way - drill 4 lug hubs and rotors - or buy a bunch of parts.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80641
Jeffs9146
Here is another link!
Eric's Q&A Conversion
pcar916
... or is this converting from 4 bolts to 4 studs?
Eric_Shea
Pete, if your just converting from lug bolts to studs you simply need 14x1.5x50 screw in studs and good ball seat lug nuts.

As mentioned above, if you want to go 5-lug then there's a myriad of options in that link that Jeff posted.
pete
That's what I was searching for. Thanks. So, if I wanted to go the poor mans route, I could essentially have the rotors and hubs drilled for a 5 lug american pattern? 5x4.75" and 5x5" ?
Eric_Shea
Yes.
chads74
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 12 2013, 09:48 AM) *

Pete, if your just converting from lug bolts to studs you simply need 14x1.5x50 screw in studs and good ball seat lug nuts.

As mentioned above, if you want to go 5-lug then there's a myriad of options in that link that Jeff posted.

Never even thought of doing this. I was frustrated last time I was trying to put my wheels back on. With your experience is one better then the other? Or what is your preference?
jaxdream
There is a stud type tool , as seen on ebay , that screws into the 4 bolt hub just for the situation that you mention. It screws into one of the bolt holes and you then slide the wheel over it while it holds the wheel in place to install the other three bolts , sometime made from aluminium about 5 inches long. Seems that they weren't that expensive, but haven't looked at them for some time.
If you want to go 5 lug/stud there are several ways to do it , most all of them documented here, just search.....

Jack
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Sep 12 2013, 04:42 PM) *

There is a stud type tool , as seen on ebay , that screws into the 4 bolt hub just for the situation that you mention. It screws into one of the bolt holes and you then slide the wheel over it while it holds the wheel in place to install the other three bolts , sometime made from aluminium about 5 inches long. Seems that theyweren't that expensive, but haven't looked at them for some time.
If you want to go 5 lug/stud there are several ways to do it , most all of them documented here, just search.....

Jack

No need to buy one. I just cut the head off a lug bolt, then slot it for a big screwdriver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.