Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have a look at what I did this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I'll only post two shots.

I've cut the right rear fender and sail panel off and the inner fender panel out. The inner fender was rusted out pretty good so I went ahead and removed it. The top of my frame rail is gone. I can look into the rail through the opening. There in only minor surface rust inside.
URY914
Its really hard to see all the bars and what has been cut out.
The fender is laying on the ground in the back ground.
Series9
ohmy.gif Holy shit!

Somebody take away his sawzall!
John
Good god man.....

Soon you will only have some tubing and a steering wheel. You really need to learn when to quit.

You must have had a SERIOUS rust problem....

Perhaps you should have built the tube frame first and hung 914 bodywork on it.

Actually,

Lookin' good. It should go like hell since it won't weigh anything.
URY914
I need to weld in the bars and roll it out in the daylight to get a good shot of it.

Cutting the quater panel off was a major PITA. The area where the door jam meets the firewall and the sheet metal duct for the rear window defogger gave me the most trouble.
It just a hard area to get access to.

Paul sawzall-smiley.gif
URY914
In the first shot you car see thru the car to the ground in front of it.
Talk about air cooled! laugh.gif

Paul
Curvie Roadlover
You need to get rid of what's left of the firewall behind your seat. That's gotta weigh a ton. sawzall-smiley.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Dec 13 2004, 07:55 PM)
You need to get rid of what's left of the firewall behind your seat. That's gotta weigh a ton. sawzall-smiley.gif

It'll be coming out when I do the left side.
Series9
Please excuse my terrible Photoshop skills. I'll work on it.

I'd like to see a tube in the position represented by the black line (obviously it would pass under the other two tubes, but like I said, I'll work on my Photoshop skills.
URY914
Thiis is what is typically done and what I plan on doing.
curtis
That thing would haul ass with even a lawnmower engine on its last leg!!!! ohmy.gif I dont think I want to try and imagine what it would be like with a 1.7!!! wacko.gif huh.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 13 2004, 08:00 PM)

I'll take it if you're just going to throw it away! cool.gif I can stick my hand through mine sad.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Special_K @ Dec 13 2004, 08:14 PM)

I'll take it if you're just going to throw it away! cool.gif I can stick my hand through mine sad.gif

Sure you can have it. Is there enough there for you to use?
SpecialK
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 13 2004, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE(Special_K @ Dec 13 2004, 08:14 PM)

Sure you can have it. Is there enough there for you to use?

Oh yeah, plenty. Mines rusted out right below the "X" pattern. I was going to just scab a patch over it (hey....quit throwing rocks people! hide.gif ), but a piece of original metal would be MUCH better! Let me know how much for the shipping:

Pacific, MO 63069
URY914
It's all yours.

I gotta big cardboard box full of sheet metal
sawzall-smiley.gif
Series9
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 13 2004, 09:11 PM)
Thiis is what is typically done

I think it's safe to say you've wildly departed from what is 'typically done' at this point.

Maybe you should do both, IMHO. cool.gif
John
Thiis is what is typically done and what I plan on doing.

I wish I had pictures of what we did (which is similar), but I'm out of town and can't post a pic.

Our tube angles out ward and forward instead of inward and forward. Ours starts just ahead of the suspension console hole (trailing arm mount hole) and extends forward through the lower firewall and terminates on the interior longitudinal (almost directly under our roll cage hoop close to the seat belt mount). This looks to be the direction that the suspension console would move under heavy cornering. (the pivot point being the outer trailing arm mount {3-bolts}).

Just my $0.02
URY914
I'll be adding RacerChris' outer console stiffing kit also (its on his website).
I think I'll be OK.

I'm trying to balance between adding weight with too many bars and getting the most stiffness with just the right amount of bars. I could have used 2" bars for everything and it would be strong but a heavy pig. Being that this is a autox car only I don't need to provide side impact bars or bars surrounding the fuel cell. I'm going strictly for enough stiffness to offset the flex.

P
seanery
Paul, you and Mueller scare the shit out of me! laugh.gif
Neither one of you can leave well enough alone! biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 14 2004, 06:20 AM)
Paul, you and Mueller scare the shit out of me! laugh.gif
Neither one of you can leave well enough alone! biggrin.gif

happy11.gif
Root_Werks
happy11.gif sawzall-smiley.gif happy11.gif

Dang Paul! laugh.gif That just rocks!
Aaron Cox
you tie that thing down whne not in use? looks like a effin kite man!
SteveSr
Lookin good Paul,that thing should go like stink with any engine in it!!!
Talking to some of my engine builder wannabe friends.typically "v" engines have more "peak torque" and inline engines have more lowend so for Autox I would put the 944 engine in..........02$ worth

SteveSr
ChrisFoley
If you remove just a bit more they'll put you in the FSAE class. laugh.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 14 2004, 03:15 PM)
If you remove just a bit more they'll put you in the FSAE class. laugh.gif

I'm thinking maybe shifter kart cool_shades.gif

P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.