Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unwanted surprise today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
We are trying to finish up work on my car so it will be ready for a track date this Sunday. We completely rebuilt the rear suspension including reinforcing the console ears which meant the engine had to come out which meant we discovered a few items to fix on it and the trans while it was out. But now the rear suspension is all finished, the engine and trans are back in the car and we started on the front suspension. I got new bushings, Koni Sport inserts and 22mm torsion bars. We then discovered someone in the past put a 914-4 A-arm on the right side and I had one 911 torsion bar and one 914-4 torsion bar ohmy.gif So I had to frantically find a used right side A-arm and end cap. Lucked out and found one and I think I'll be seeing the track after all. It totally baffles me why someone would do that to an original 6. I hope I don't have any more surprises like that.
campbellcj
Wow, I'm glad (in a warped sense) that I'm not the only one having "issues" trying to make it out to the track lately!

There were definitely some Mickey Mouse Engineering aspects of my car too. I missed the last 2 or 3 events I optimistically thought I could make. We've finally got most of the initial kinks worked out, and its baseline handling is pretty neutral and stable (now the tuning & further mod process begins).

So I WILL be there Sunday. Can't guarantee that the car will hold together and/or that I'll run any decent times, but I WILL be there...finally! biggrin.gif

I need to re-point the car and hopefully squeeze it into V4. Last time I added everything up, I would be in V3 which would not be a good thing the way the car is currently built. (I would only be about 2 or 3" down on tire and 100+ HP short, no problem other than that blink.gif ) I can always ballast it back into V4 if need be -- unless POC bans adding weight, which I heard was under discussion.

BTW I think I have some extra 911SC A-arms and other bits if your other deal falls thru and/or another crisis pops up. I had a whole front-end but ended up using very little of it (calipers + 1 strut) in my 5-lug conversion.
campbellcj
Oh yeah - let me know how to find you so we can introduce ourselves.

My car is a stock-looking Phoenix Red (orange) 73, #214.
drew365
Chris; thanks for the offer of the A-arms. I don't think I'll need them. Considering how much work we've done to the car the last six weeks and it's yet to be started or even rolled out into daylight, I won't be too surprised if this weekend goes smooth for me either.
My car is white with a Chalon kit and will probably have #42 on it until I come up with my own number that isn't taken. V-3 wasn't too bad last year but I expect it too be more competitive this year. Several guys are running consistant 1:19's. Except for the one event they inexplicably put Kevin Roush in V-3 when he turned a 1:10 huh.gif ! It's all good fun though. See you there.
campbellcj
QUOTE(drew365 @ Dec 31 2002, 06:16 AM)
Chris;  thanks for the offer of the A-arms. I don't think I'll need them. Considering how much work we've done to the car the last six weeks and it's yet to be started or even rolled out into daylight, I won't be too surprised if this weekend goes smooth for me either.
 My car is white with a Chalon kit and will probably have #42 on it until I come up with my own number that isn't taken. V-3 wasn't too bad last year but I expect it too be more competitive this year. Several guys are running consistant 1:19's. Except for the one event they inexplicably put Kevin Roush in V-3 when he turned a 1:10 huh.gif ! It's all good fun though. See you there.

I'll watch for you.

BTW -- I "heard" that Roush and Alarcon were both impounded (torn down) and found to be running illegal motors. With that plus the new rule changes, V3 should be a lot more evenly matched this year...

My latest issue is that my shifter has gone funky on me. Not sure yet if it's the front engine mounts, something in the linkage that's slipping/failing, or the actual tranny unsure.gif Everything is pretty fresh on the car so I'm crossing my fingers that it's something really minor. I'm glad tomorrow's a holiday.
Brad Roberts
You guy's are killing me. NO track events up here until some time in March. Just private track days.

Good luck to both of you.

Let us know how it goes.

B
campbellcj
Whew, my main shifter problem turned out to just be that the pinch bolt up at the shifter was a little loose (I swear I checked that sucker...LOL, oh well.) Anyhoo, taking advantage of an open lift, and a slow day at the shop, the guys also replaced the two cone/set screws on the rod, and the bushings back at the trans end. I actually went to the office and worked today, which was really tough after a week off (first one in a few years.)

Last weekend I replaced the damn deafiningly loud dynomax muffler with a merely "very f'ing loud" flowmaster (40 series). The race dynomax was so blatently illegal on the street that it made me paranoid driving around here with all the Sheriffs and CHP on patrol. It was essentially just a can with nothing inside...The flowmaster is much quieter on decel and mellower, not as raspy on accel.

Tomorrow and Saturday I need to finish a little POR-15 work, wire up some gauges, and install the brake "tee" I just picked up. Should be no sweat (famous last words). Then off to Willow at O-Dark-Thirty Sunday...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.