Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car is in Panorama December 2013!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
orthobiz
Edit 12/14/13: I started this topic a couple of months ago; the article has finally come out. Everyone here is a part of my 914 journey, so thanks to all!

Paul

Original thread:

Sunday I have a 45 minute phone interview for the article. I was approached at the Parade by Panorama staff, wanting to do a story on my car (and me).

As some of you know, my 1974 won Best In Class for Preservation, air-cooled cars older than 1977, less than 1000 miles per year.

For whatever reason, I'm nervous!

Paul

IPB Image
siverson
Nice!
Mike Bellis
Very Cool!

I have noticed much more 914 content lately.

Perhaps because Pete Stout is a 914 owner? idea.gif
Krieger
Congratulations. Just remember to comb your hair or wear a hat. Enjoy your fame!
JmuRiz
So was Manny Alban, I think smile.gif
orthobiz
Eric Shea in the background...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Paul
bandjoey
You'll eat them alive...they're so into 914's now. Be Proud! first.gif
wndsnd
Nice... Congrats! smilie_pokal.gif
Ferg
piratenanner.gif
Kaduku
Wow! Nice car. Can we see some interior shots?

balljoint
Cool. smile.gif
orthobiz
IPB Image
orthobiz
IPB Image
carr914
thumb3d.gif
struckn
Thanks Paul, good for you, and good for the rest of us, I think.
Your car is beautiful.

pray.gif
green914
Wow! Nice car - congrats. smile.gif
pcar916
Manny told me once (Fort Worth Parade) that my car was conflicted. Track vs. street. Even thought I told him it was by design it was apparently all for naught smile.gif

Beautiful car. Congrats on the interview!!!

jtf914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 20 2013, 05:31 PM) *

Very Cool!

I have noticed much more 914 content lately.

Perhaps because Pete Stout is a 914 owner? idea.gif

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 20 2013, 05:43 PM) *

So was Manny Alban, I think smile.gif

So is Vu Nguyen (PCA Exec Director)...
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif Nice!
Michael N
Awesome car and awesome for you to get it in print!
Elliot Cannon
Nice car. Too bad it's only driven less than 1000 miles a year. With renewed PCA interest in the 914, should I rejoin?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 20 2013, 08:48 PM) *

Nice car. Too bad it's only driven less than 1000 miles a year. With renewed PCA interest in the 914, should I rejoin?

Yes. Then sign up for the Escape to LA event. Right now I'm the only 914 going... sad.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 20 2013, 11:48 PM) *

Nice car. Too bad it's only driven less than 1000 miles a year.

My car has just over 26,000 miles now.

I know what you're saying, but I believe I have a higher responsibility owning this car. When I bought it, I sent it to Brad Mayeur (sight unseen!) to go over the car and had a lot of mechanical work done (clutch, resealing, etc.). During this phase, he would ask questions such as, do I want a passenger mirror added. Most of the time, I would say no as I wanted the car to be as original as possible.

These cars will only be "new" once and unmolested cars are hard to come by. They certainly aren't making more of them. But getting all of the positive comments at the Porsche Parade has changed my perspective on ownership, as did spending at least a couple of hundred hours cleaning and preening it before the event. I feel like I am driving a museum piece and I worry more about it. Will I get in an accident, will it get a rock chip, etc.

So, I have just purchased another car, a red 1974 1.8 liter California car that has been repainted, that doesn't have original speakers, has polished Mahle wheels, Euro turn signals, redone leather interior, period "incorrect" radio, backdated bumpers, etc. I am committed (at least now) to driving it, enjoying it, letting rain fall on it. I pick it up this coming Friday and am driving it back (over 2000 miles!) to Michigan. In fact, the odometer is broken so I don't even know how many miles are on it.

But my orange car will be driven infrequently and kept as clean and original as possible. I have driven it 4000 miles in 7 years of ownership and will continue to take it out on clear, sunny days.

914 ownership and membership in the 914world has done so much for me. Call me crazy, but people like me need to keep cars like this in pristine condition. So please don't feel sorry for us (I'm not alone), we're having a blast! (BTW, no offense taken, I'm just yakking away.)

Paul
TJB/914
Way to go PAUL pray.gif

I was in Cadillac this week on Wednesday for business & thought about calling you for a cup of coffee, but got ambushed with time. Next time.

Great news, your original 914 is special, you are helping the 914 $$$$-market. w00t.gif Here's a few photo's from Parade.

Tom
914-300Hemi
Congrats and nice looking car. I will look forward to reading the article.
Maltese Falcon
Congrats on the upcoming article , you must have the lowest mileage '74 2.0 ever !
In 1978 I think mine had 40,000 when I retired the 2.0 T4 engine for the six conversion .
Your steel wheels + sisal mats are very cool+ correct ...I'll check out the article in Panorama .
Marty
SirAndy
The guy on the right looks like he's taking a leak ... biggrin.gif

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 20 2013, 02:21 PM) *
IPB Image

jimkelly
beautiful car wub.gif

I hope they don't find a sesame seed in the fold of your seat at the last second headbang.gif

thanks for representing the 914 in its best light popcorn[1].gif
Krieger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 21 2013, 01:09 PM) *

IPB Image

agree.gif lol-2.gif
SKL1
Pete has done wonders with Pano and he's just getting started!

Look forward to your article.

I'd love a story on original owner cars and have suggested it to Mr. Stout, starting with Mike Robbins, though unfortunately he sold his Speedster not that long ago.
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 21 2013, 04:09 PM) *

IPB Image

Ahh yes, but now panorama staff are no longer pissing on the 914, they turn away.
Drums66
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 21 2013, 10:08 PM) *

IPB Image

Ahh yes, but now panorama staff are no longer pissing on the 914, they turn away.

...I thought the same thing...when I saw that angle laugh.gif
(but they are a little bit(staff) idea.gif
bye1.gif
boogie_man
Nah, he's pissing on the slant nose cabrio.

Congrats beer.gif
orthobiz
Had the interview with Ada Lee Halofsky, journalist writing for Pano. Went really well, had a great time talking with her. Appreciate everyone's support. Thanks,

Paul
naro914

IPB Image

I think that's Manny..our PCA President!! lol-2.gif
Guy in the blue shirt is Prescott Kelly, former PCA President and REALLY knowledgable early car guy...
naro914
Btw...beautiful car!!
orthobiz
IPB Image
orthobiz
Marc Urbano sent through PCA/Pano to take the pictures on one of the last days before the snow (and salt) flies!

IPB Image

This picture is blurry probably because I was SO COLD!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Paul
Mike Bellis
Very cool! beerchug.gif
R8CERX
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 28 2013, 07:04 PM) *

Marc Urbano sent through PCA/Pano to take the pictures on one of the last days before the snow (and salt) flies!

This picture is blurry probably because I was SO COLD!!!

Paul

AWESOME!!! piratenanner.gif
bcheney
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 21 2013, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 20 2013, 11:48 PM) *

Nice car. Too bad it's only driven less than 1000 miles a year.

My car has just over 26,000 miles now.

I know what you're saying, but I believe I have a higher responsibility owning this car. When I bought it, I sent it to Brad Mayeur (sight unseen!) to go over the car and had a lot of mechanical work done (clutch, resealing, etc.). During this phase, he would ask questions such as, do I want a passenger mirror added. Most of the time, I would say no as I wanted the car to be as original as possible.

These cars will only be "new" once and unmolested cars are hard to come by. They certainly aren't making more of them. But getting all of the positive comments at the Porsche Parade has changed my perspective on ownership, as did spending at least a couple of hundred hours cleaning and preening it before the event. I feel like I am driving a museum piece and I worry more about it. Will I get in an accident, will it get a rock chip, etc.

So, I have just purchased another car, a red 1974 1.8 liter California car that has been repainted, that doesn't have original speakers, has polished Mahle wheels, Euro turn signals, redone leather interior, period "incorrect" radio, backdated bumpers, etc. I am committed (at least now) to driving it, enjoying it, letting rain fall on it. I pick it up this coming Friday and am driving it back (over 2000 miles!) to Michigan. In fact, the odometer is broken so I don't even know how many miles are on it.

But my orange car will be driven infrequently and kept as clean and original as possible. I have driven it 4000 miles in 7 years of ownership and will continue to take it out on clear, sunny days. 914 ownership and membership in the 914world has done so much for me. Call me crazy, but people like me need to keep cars like this in pristine condition. So please don't feel sorry for us (I'm not alone), we're having a blast! (BTW, no offense taken, I'm just yakking away.)

Paul

Paul, This is a fantastic story. The car is stunning. I Love the interior colors. You are a true "Steward". Very cool that you have purchased another teener to drive and enjoy in a different way. I recently met a 914 guy by the name of Bob Davis. He has a beautiful 73 2.0 that he has owned since new. Hearing these stories and seeing the people and cars behind them is priceless. All the best.

Brian
KELTY360
Paul, your car is magnificent. I owned a new 914 in 1973 and seeing a pristine example takes me back to that time when mine was new and every detail was amplified, and the paint was so deep you felt like you could walk right into it. I'm glad you're preserving this one and have acquired another to experience a 914 as a driver.

Just one question I had from one of the pictures at the Parade...do you intentionally index the icon on the cigarette lighter?
JawjaPorsche
Paul, your 914 looks awesome! I am like you. I like originally. To see a 914 look like it just came out of the showroom brings a big smile to my face. I purchased my 914 new and it has a zillion more miles than your 914 but it I have tried to keep it looking original. The badge and euro tail lights are the only real change to the appearance but I guess that is a personal preference.

My 914:

http://76.162.11.251/tuck/bicycling/914.htm
Hawk
Congrats Paul, its a beauty! To be saved and treasured as a timepiece. Your other car can be the stress-free errand getter.
ConeDodger
Wow! I will watch for that article! w00t.gif
6freak
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 28 2013, 10:32 PM) *

Paul, your car is magnificent. I owned a new 914 in 1973 and seeing a pristine example takes me back to that time when mine was new and every detail was amplified, and the paint was so deep you felt like you could walk right into it. I'm glad you're preserving this one and have acquired another to experience a 914 as a driver.

Just one question I had from one of the pictures at the Parade...do you intentionally index the icon on the cigarette lighter?

of course he does Marc ! at least i do after i use mine...gotta be just right ya know
and that is probly the cleanest 914 ive seen ...nice job Mr
orthobiz
Thanks Mr. C. About the lighter: I did not purposely place it in the right rotation. To my horror I forgot to. That's why I have my buddy Mike! He spent nearly as much time on the car as I did.

Paul
orthobiz
For those in PCA, the new mag featuring my car will be in your mailbox soon! (Just blowing my own horn…)

Paul
Krieger
Enjoy your fame! Get a few issues of the magazine. One to carry around and share. The rest for safe keeping. My wife took one of the isssues and very carefully removed each page and had them framed to hang up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.