Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renn shifter install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
cary
QUOTE(partwerks @ Oct 13 2013, 04:12 PM) *

Is that the spherical bushing at the firewall, you are talking about?

Yes .............
naro914
Let me ask you about that bushing (bearing actually)- I know I could just ask Chris but I saw this in the thread: if that gets mounted on the firewall, doesn't it interfere with the coupler? When I shift to 1,3,5, the coupler comes basically right up against the firewall, I don't see any way the bearing would fit. A guy I know installed it and ran into this exact problem, couldn't shift to 1,3,5 since the coupler ran right into the bearing. how does it not?
carr914
That's another reason to change the Linkage

Click to view attachment
pcar916
As a machine guy I do like the spherical solution. But I simply shimmed the firewall hole with .005in brass shim-stock. It tightened the new factory bushing to an interference-fit just fine and has been that way for 13 years.

My modified 915 shift tower works much better with that fit. If I hadn't had some of those 911 parts lying about, I would've bought the RennShifter as well... it was more fun to make my own.
Cairo94507
Wow, this is an older thread on a topic that caught my attention. I have the Renn Shifter installed in my car but we do not believe it was adjusted correctly when installed. The issue is sometimes the shifter just refuses to find 1st gear and if I am not careful on the 1-2 shift I can nick reverse. Other than that is shifts easily. Operator error? Maybe. But I have owned 3 6's and never had an i issue shifting. However this is my first Renn Shifter.

I emailed J West Engineering and heard back from them within hours. I asked for a referral for a local shop familiar with their shifter and they provided one about 20 miles from me. J West was very helpful and told me to call if I had any issues.

I called the shop and made an appointment to get them to look at the shifter to see if it is adjusted correctly or not. The shop owner said he has owned 2 914's and installs the RennShifter in a lot of cars and just got 2 more delivered for 911's scheduled to be in his shop that week. My car goes in on October 5th. I will post about my experience and the end result. beerchug.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 26 2020, 08:26 AM) *

Wow, this is an older thread on a topic that caught my attention. I have the Renn Shifter installed in my car but we do not believe it was adjusted correctly when installed. The issue is sometimes the shifter just refuses to find 1st gear and if I am not careful on the 1-2 shift I can nick reverse. Other than that is shifts easily. Operator error? Maybe. But I have owned 3 6's and never had an i issue shifting. However this is my first Renn Shifter.

I emailed J West Engineering and heard back from them within hours. I asked for a referral for a local shop familiar with their shifter and they provided one about 20 miles from me. J West was very helpful and told me to call if I had any issues.

I called the shop and made an appointment to get them to look at the shifter to see if it is adjusted correctly or not. The shop owner said he has owned 2 914's and installs the RennShifter in a lot of cars and just got 2 more delivered for 911's scheduled to be in his shop that week. My car goes in on October 5th. I will post about my experience and the end result. beerchug.gif

Please do let us know. JWest are excellent to deal with in my experience.
Steve
Love my Rennshift. To each his own, but I installed an extra washer under the spring on the right side. This added more spring tension, to make it shift faster from 1st to second and avoid reverse. That was years ago before switching to a 915 transmission and modifying my Rennshift for a 915.
StarBear
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 22 2013, 08:06 PM) *

No, no linkage. I replaced all of the bushings aft of the shifter. Firewall, aluminum piece just aft of the firewall, and the trans console bushings.
Tom

agree.gif As long as into the work, replace the bushings. I might (?!) have sufficed to just do that to tighten up the original shifter, but figured 46 years and 118k miles was good use so got the JW Engineering unit. Tight.
StarBear
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 26 2020, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 26 2020, 08:26 AM) *

Please do let us know. JWest are excellent to deal with in my experience.

Yep; did the JW Engineering a few months back. Great improvement; replaced the bushings at the same time.

StarBear
Just FYI, the JW Engineering unit has a much larger base cylinder so the original shift boot won't fit. Tried others like the 911 boot, but ruined the look and way too big, so did a hobo retrofit of the original boot with a bottom collar around the base (see photos). Most people don't even notice!Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=763
179]
VaccaRabite
I made a simple boot for my Rennshifter just to keep it mor stock looking and also to keep all the dirt out of my shifter. Simple to make and it works really well. Click to view attachment

Zach
thelogo
Just my 2c. Here but my stock shifter
Shifts like a bat out of hell . fast. Smooth and easy
As long as you do the cgt shift style. ( dont match revs )
Shifts like a honda practically

I thought about renn and or wevo
But its all in the pedals not the shifter

Shout out to the cheap sob pray.gif
StarBear
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 27 2020, 09:11 PM) *

I made a simple boot for my Rennshifter just to keep it mor stock looking and also to keep all the dirt out of my shifter. Simple to make and it works really well. Click to view attachment

Zach

Great minds think alike.... biggrin.gif
MM1
QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 28 2020, 03:33 AM) *

Ok - did I read this correctly (or is the joke on me)? "cgt shift style . . .don't match revs." I've never heard of such a "driver's technique."

Please expound, Sirs . . .
thelogo
QUOTE(MM1 @ Sep 28 2020, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 28 2020, 03:33 AM) *

Ok - did I read this correctly (or is the joke on me)? "cgt shift style . . .don't match revs." I've never heard of such a "driver's technique."

Please expound, Sirs . . .

No joke. MM1
How many clutches have you burned thru ?

It means except for 1st and in 1st as lightly as possible
Dont match revs . let the clutch out (abruptly)all the way out
Before pressing the gas . unlike in all other water cooled cars where you match revs and press both gas and clutch together.

Takes some getting used to but works like a charm for me.

I dont think ill ever get a carerra gt . but if i do . i wont bbq the clutch poke.gif

See link no. 2 reference
https://drivetribe.com/p/5-things-you-didnt...BRXqd6hQnf1V8Pw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.