Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trans removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
I need to pull my trans. Do I have to pull the engine with it?

I believe that when I rebuilt my trans I may have put in an older differential. I have some slop in my output flanges that appear to be the result from not enough back lash on my differential bearings.

Thanks

David
SirAndy
QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 22 2013, 01:09 PM) *
Do I have to pull the engine with it?

No, but you will have to support the engine before you unbolt the transmission.

smash.gif
Dave_Darling
Loosen the engine mount bolts so you can pivot the rear of the drivetrain down a few inches. You'll need to do that to clear the rear bodywork with the transmission. You'll also want to remove the muffler from the heat exchangers so you have enough room.

Some people use a jack to support the transmission when they disconnect it from the engine and pull it out; I just pull it out into my lap and support it with my feet and hands. It's not that heavy...

Remember that at least one of the engine-trans fasteners is removed from the engine side, not the transmission side. And remember to disconnect the ground strap, in addition to the reverse light wires, starter wires, and clutch and speedo cables.

--DD
Harpo
Thanks guys
Cap'n Krusty
Before you do all that, better think about what you're doing. There's ALWAYS slop in the output flanges.

The Cap'n
ruddyboys
wouldn't it be easier to remove the engine and trans together?
ripper911
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Sep 23 2013, 09:22 AM) *

wouldn't it be easier to remove the engine and trans together?

Getting the tranny out by itself is pretty easy. I just remove the muffler to make a little more room at the rear and work around the heat exchangers.
rjames
Step by step removal of the trans courtesy of Pelican...

Link
CptTripps
I did it in 30min on Saturday. Now, I have a V8 conversion so there isn't any exhaust in the way on mine, but it's a pretty simple process. Here's what I did.

1: Support the motor after you have the car jacked all the way up.
2: Disconnect Battery and ground strap at the back of the trans.
3: Disconnect and remove the starter.
4: Disconnect the shift linkage and Clutch cable.
5: Disconnect the axels.
6: Remove the 4 bolts connecting the trans to the motor.
7: Support the trans and then disconnect the rear trans supports.
8: Pull the trans back to clear the studs and drop it down.

* Installation is the reverse.

If you have muffler stuff...there'll likely be a few more steps, but that's how I did a "Trans Removal Without Dropping the Engine."
Harpo
The slop was not the diff to the trans but my out put flange to the diff. The dirty Origional flange is 1.16mm larger in dia than the gold 110mm flange

How can I build up the OD to remove the slop?

Click to view attachment
Harpo
Sorry this is the location where the diameters are different

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.