Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auxilary air regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Does the AAR on a 73 2.0 ever close completely ?
Does it operate on 12V only or does it rely on engine ambient temp to operate as well ?
I have a high idle after adjusting timing ( with known factory timing marks ) and checking all areas for vacuum leaks.
If I cap the AAR hose the idle is normal and there is adjustment left on the idle screw.
The points plate moves freely with vacuum in both directions.
TIA

dangrouche
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 23 2013, 07:31 PM) *

Does it operate on 12V only or does it rely on engine ambient temp to operate as well ?
I have a high idle after adjusting timing ( with known factory timing marks ) and checking all areas for vacuum leaks.
If I cap the AAR hose the idle is normal and there is adjustment left on the idle screw.
TIA

AAR is open when no voltage present, air flows freely. when 12 volts applied, within a few minutes, but under ten minutes, it closes off completely and no air flows.
r_towle
It's a coiled up spring.

Blast a can of pb blaster into the inlet, shake it, let it dump out...keep doing it untill all the rust falls out, and dirt.

You can run two wires to it for testing.
Power lead is obvious, body needs to be grounded.

No air should blow through when it's closed, if it does, let it cool down and clean it again....needs to be one to clean, so cold..
76-914
Remove it and as Rich said PB it or WD40 it. Placing it in the freezer for an hour then apply 12V. Repeat until it fully opens & closes. It will operate w/o power but takes longer to seal off when engine heat is it's only source.
worn
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 23 2013, 06:31 PM) *

TIA

That is a good test. After initial start there should be vacuum at the AAR, you should be able to watch this go away within 5 minutes. The manual has an actual spec time. If the car has been running for a half hour you should feel NO vacuum. Wire attached and 12 v with the ignition on?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 24 2013, 09:21 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 23 2013, 06:31 PM) *

TIA

That is a good test. After initial start there should be vacuum at the AAR, you should be able to watch this go away within 5 minutes. The manual has an actual spec time. If the car has been running for a half hour you should feel NO vacuum. Wire attached and 12 v with the ignition on?

I have two in the freezer now. May find others if I look hard.
Earlier I had both attached to 12V for a half hour and both were as open as a whistle. They both got pretty warm ( 140 + - ) but I could not detect a restriction going on.
Sooooo, clean and tap and clean and blow through and clean again and they come back ? My fingers are crossed.
Dave_Darling
If that fails (hopefully it won't) after several tries, you can pry the lip of the can open from around the top part. The top, valve, and spring all slide out. You may be able to use a slot-head screwdriver on the bottom of the valve to turn it, freeing it up.

--DD
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 24 2013, 08:57 PM) *

If that fails (hopefully it won't) after several tries, you can pry the lip of the can open from around the top part. The top, valve, and spring all slide out. You may be able to use a slot-head screwdriver on the bottom of the valve to turn it, freeing it up.

--DD

OK, pried it open pretty cleanly.
All looks pretty simple.
Removed the bi-metallic coil
That shaft is #@%#&($ waaay stuck !
Just to be sure..... the pie shape piece is the fixed part right ?
Break out the torch ?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 25 2013, 09:44 AM) *

--DD

All looks pretty simple.
Break out the torch ?

Never mind.
It freed up.
I didn't want to be too aggressive and ruin it.
Thanks all..... now to see how well it works !
442nd914s
I found this awhile back. Maybe it might help someone.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/idle.htm
rgalla9146
QUOTE(442nd914s @ Sep 25 2013, 11:23 AM) *

I found this awhile back. Maybe it might help someone.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/idle.htm

The provided link included a complete "how to" for AAR repairs.
Have now disassembled both of mine and freed both up.
I'll have time to test them tomorrow. biggrin.gif
Thank you for the great help.
Dave_Darling
The cylinder with a slit in it is the "rotary valve".

--DD
9fourteen14
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 25 2013, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 25 2013, 09:44 AM) *

--DD

All looks pretty simple.
Break out the torch ?

Never mind.
It freed up.
I didn't want to be too aggressive and ruin it.
Thanks all..... now to see how well it works !

Wanna sell me one. I have a 74 2.0 I need one

Niece 914 luva
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.