Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how many are using lightened flywheel and or stage 2 clutch kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
I am thinking of using a lightened flywheel and wondering what others experience. I did a search and all seems to be older, Also the stage 2 clutch kit. I have a 2.0 built to 2.4 with about 150 hp and will be mostly street use,, but I like power. Thanks
r3dplanet
I'm sure others will disagree, but I had a lightened flywheel in my 2002 Golf GTI that the clutch shop talked me into. I hated every last minute of it. The whole idea is apparently to keep the revs sustained during the brief moment of gear changes, which I'm sure is great on the track where the RPMs are always high. But on the street it was really irritating. I lived with it for about six months until I had the money to swap the flywheel out for a stock one. Much more drivable. I'm guessing this is why virtually every street car comes equipped with a "heavy" flywheel.

Don't flame me.

-marcus
Woody
I'm using a light flywheel on my 2056. Its been cut down to 11 pounds. Love it.
wes
Has it affected you're shifting?
rick 918-S
I put one on Sandy's car. I got it in a trade deal. I never weighed it. Hmmm.. should have. idea.gif Anyway, the car will be on the road soon. I have a 2.0 with stock injection. We shall see if I like it.

The thought is it will free up some hp. and spin up faster out of the corners but may suck on the freeway when your trying to hold a steady speed. Also there is an issue with the engine stalling when your in town and let off the gas and let the idle drop while your foot is on the brake. Without the inertia of the heavier flywheel will sometimes the engine drops below idle and stalls.
patrick3000
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Sep 27 2013, 02:28 PM) *

I'm sure others will disagree, but I had a lightened flywheel in my 2002 Golf GTI that the clutch shop talked me into. I hated every last minute of it. The whole idea is apparently to keep the revs sustained during the brief moment of gear changes, which I'm sure is great on the track where the RPMs are always high. But on the street it was really irritating. I lived with it for about six months until I had the money to swap the flywheel out for a stock one. Much more drivable. I'm guessing this is why virtually every street car comes equipped with a "heavy" flywheel.

Don't flame me.

-marcus

X2

Same deal with the 98 Boxster that I had, would fly up to 6K, always shifting. I hated it ar15.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 27 2013, 03:30 PM) *

I put one on Sandy's car. I got it in a trade deal. I never weighed it. Hmmm.. should have. idea.gif Anyway, the car will be on the road soon. I have a 2.0 with stock injection. We shall see if I like it.

The thought is it will free up some hp. and spin up faster out of the corners but may suck on the freeway when your trying to hold a steady speed. Also there is an issue with the engine stalling when your in town and let off the gas and let the idle drop while your foot is on the brake. Without the inertia of the heavier flywheel will sometimes the engine drops below idle and stalls.

It affects idle, freeways speeds are not an issue...you are on the gas.
The idle may annoy you.

It can work if the car is in perfect tune.
I have run an 11 lb one for 10 years...
I know when I need a tuneup...it stalls at the lights.

Rich
Bills914-4
I run a 11lbs. flywheel , KEP 2 1/2 stage (custom order) & a Clutch Net disc (fiber carbon) in my 2.8 -4 , it's fun (mostly weekend driving) , I think a 13lbs. would be a little easier if it's going to be driven more often & especially if it's local city (traffic)
driving , just my $ .02 , Bill D.

(http://www.clutchnet.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v2.tpl&product_id=36945&category_id=9789&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=140) ,

Here's my 11lbs. ,
Click to view attachment

Here's my 13lbs. for a future 2.4 ( 71c x 103 ) ,sorry about bright blur,
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
My Audi motor has a lightened flywheel and a SPEC stage 3 clutch. In the donor vehicle is was almost un-driveable. Not enough rotating mass to get it moving without stalling. In my 914 it is awesome, works great. The difference is almost 2000lbs of vehicle mass.
Drums66
....11lb, in a street car "hassle"till you get used to it? idea.gif
bye1.gif (not bad gitty-up)
ConeDodger
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Sep 27 2013, 10:28 AM) *

Don't flame me.

-marcus

Spins the motor up faster. Some cars are already pretty light. 911 comes to mind...
pcar916
You didn't actually ask a question...

Since 1999, my flywheel weighs 6.75 lbs on a 3.6L engine. The total flywheel/clutch/PP weight is less than 19lbs. Computer engine... no problems.
ConeDodger
This may effect EFI with low frequency sampling. Engine spins up too fast. If as I suspect, you are talking about a factory EFI system, it samples enough to avoid the problem.

MS I and II are batch fired and might have a problem or perhaps could perform better if the weren't batch fired. MS III *can* fire individually and should be better and have better low mid response.

Idle to redline happens quicker with a lighter rotating mass. Not sure high rev shifting has anything at all to do with it because that same mass decells quicker as well...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 27 2013, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 27 2013, 03:30 PM) *

It affects idle, freeways speeds are not an issue...you are on the gas.
The idle may annoy you.

It can work if the car is in perfect tune.
I have run an 11 lb one for 10 years...
I know when I need a tuneup...it stalls at the lights.

Rich

On the freeway the heavy flywheel helps prevent the snap back to idle from compression. The heavy flywheel allows for a smoother driving experience without cruise control. If you let off the gas slightly the engine speed with decrease faster making for a choppy cruising speed. How much? Don't know. But I will soon enough.
Woody
QUOTE(wes @ Sep 27 2013, 02:16 PM) *

Has it affected you're shifting?

Its not bad. Just shift faster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.