Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a rusty 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jgilliam914
I have been looking for a long hood 912 to restore for the last several months and have had several to choose from. Few have been complete most have been without a engine. I stumbled across a 911 that from what I have been able to see in pics fairly complete although the pans, outer rockers lower door panels are rusty.
I am confident after a 914 pan and trunk panel replacement that I can tackle a 911.
My question is " Is there something I need to consider even more yet" If so what? Other than having 2 Porsche projects going at the same time my wife say's go for it!!
Gotta love a woman like that grouphug.gif
Eric_Shea
With rusty pans, it sounds like a pre 1970 tub. How pre?

The problem with a SWB car (65-68) is the availability of affordable parts. Pelican has a great community of 911 guys like here but, parts can be scarce to nonexistent for the early SWB cars. Plan to double everything you get for a 914.

Pete and the gang at Restoration design have the pans and rockers but, again, you'll find small parts difficult to obtain. 69-73 is a little better.

carr914
If you don't get a 69-73 (Coupe Only), you will never recover
JmuRiz
If the pans, outer rockers lower door panels are rusty..be prepared to replace just about all the metal. Even cars that look rust free have some.
Jgilliam914
It is a 1970T Coupe engine ran when parked Transaxle rebuilt. I do figure on tearing it down to the bare shell. The previous owner says S pistons E cams and it has webers. I understand the market I wouldn't buy a targa and sink much $ into it.
I have done my research with restoration design. The back half of the car looks good and the front suspension pan forward. I figure it is a money pit. But you will have something when you are done too
Eric_Shea
Good car. We're restoring one now for a customer in the UK. Follow along:

Like:
https://www.facebook.com/PMBPerformance

or, for the body work... like:
https://www.facebook.com/TroyLundquistRestorations
rudedude
Is it Irish green? I had one many moons ago with a motor like that. If you can do a 914 you can do a 911 but as every says $$$$.
Jgilliam914
It is red now. Owner says it was yellow the Code says Orange. Which is a color I would prefer on a long hood.
JmuRiz
If it's a nice color, paint it whatever the factory color was.

My brother has a brown one...so he can paint whatever he wants when the time comes.
patrick3000
If the torque tube is bad walk away otherwise you are on the right track, 70-71 has a unique trans so that sounds good.
wndsnd
What is this guy smoking? smoke.gif

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4090895800.html

Gint
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 30 2013, 12:57 PM) *

Good car. We're restoring one now for a customer in the UK. Follow along:

Like:
https://www.facebook.com/PMBPerformance

or, for the body work... like:
https://www.facebook.com/TroyLundquistRestorations

GTFO! I'm going to have to call. Didn't get enough time to talk last time I saw you. wink.gif Is Troy updating his own FB page or ... Liked

I love this 75 S that I bought. And I will make money on it. happy11.gif I'd be all over a 70 coupe if the price was right.
Jgilliam914
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Sep 30 2013, 04:08 PM) *

If the torque tube is bad walk away otherwise you are on the right track, 70-71 has a unique trans so that sounds good.

What would I look for to know if the Torque tube is good or bad?? confused24.gif
BK911
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Oct 1 2013, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Sep 30 2013, 04:08 PM) *

What would I look for to know if the Torque tube is good or bad?? confused24.gif

Simple. Tear out the whole rear suspension and shine a flash light into the torque tube. But seriously, almost all of these cars are worth restoring now. Even the targa, which I actually prefer.

Here is my current project, 71E Targa in light yellow:

Click to view attachment
Jgilliam914
I see that the issues that plague a 70 coupe are similar to a 71 Targa! How long have you been playing with yours??
billh1963
I don't want to rain on anyones parade; however. I think we will be seeing the bubble burst soon on the 356's and early 911's. If you want to restore the car I say go for it. Just don't do it with the idea that the car will become part of your retirement strategy. smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 30 2013, 06:35 PM) *

Have you seen the finished prices for the early cars?

10k for a decent tub is not out of line.

356 market is still rising, it's matched to the stock market guys.....these are people who pull out money, buy a car, and well it when they are bored with it.
BK911
If you can weld, picking up a rusty tub should be worth the trouble.
If you have to pay somebody to do most of the work, probably not worth it.
I can do a front pan in a weekend, another weekend for rockers, another for floor pans, etc... So in a month or so of weekends, I can have a tub ready for paint.
Keep the car a few years and you should be ahead of the game.
Jgilliam914
It isn't anything I plan to flip. I love the long hood look. When I was younger I never had the desire or the money. Now both are more plentiful. I am glad I didn't back in the day because I would have converted it into a RS clone. Then be kicking myself in the ass over it
Cupomeat
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 1 2013, 11:42 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 30 2013, 06:35 PM) *

Have you seen the finished prices for the early cars?

10k for a decent tub is not out of line.

356 market is still rising, it's matched to the stock market guys.....these are people who pull out money, buy a car, and well it when they are bored with it.

Yeah, $13500 isn't crazy given the market (That is assuming most of the parts are there for that car). My dad advertised a rusty rolling chassis of a 69 L for $1500 7yrs ago (which I thought was low) and some guy drove 22hrs from florida to come get it and was very happy) and I wish he still had it.
ripper911
I plan on holding on to my 73 targa as long as I can! I would think that in another 20 years the earlier cars will be quite valuable.
Jgilliam914
Last night I agreed with the owner of the rusty 911 to buy it. I know that even if it is much worse than I expect. I got it for so little that just by parting the motor and webers I will be money ahead. I won't be able to pick it up until Thanksgiving unless I can talk my retired military brother in law who lives a couple hours away from the car to haul it to me. Needless to say I didn't sleep all that much last night and I am very excited to get into this!!
scotty b
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Oct 2 2013, 01:43 PM) *

I plan on holding on to my 73 targa as long as I can! I would think that in another 20 years the earlier cars will be quite valuable.

Ummmmmm the early cars are valuable NOW. Being " in the business " now, you might want to keep a little closer eye "the business " Even if it isn't what you're getting paid for. You still represent A.A. mellow.gif

huh.gif Never mind, carry one
scotty b
Beware. A couple people in know DEEP in the early 356 911 crowd looked at this one and thought it was solid. No engine so they passed. I'm the lucky sucker that ended up with it as I wasn't concerned about originality. It wasn't until I pulled the engine pad and interior that she showed her dark side barf.gif Driver floor ....solid as a rock, still has factory paint on tit. Pass looks good up fron, not so much in the back
Jgilliam914
The engine pad was removed and I have photos of it and thankfully it isn't in THAT condition. barf.gif I look at it as a very long term project. I know the "Now" market is hot for these and that's great for the people who speculate the worth of these who are buyers and sellers to make a quick $. But it is more of a nostalgia thing for me. Being a kid in SoCal seeing these run up and down the freeway and my dad trying to convince me that they were just over priced high performance VW's lol-2.gif
BK911
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 3 2013, 08:14 AM) *

Beware. A couple people in know DEEP in the early 356 911 crowd looked at this one and thought it was solid. No engine so they passed. I'm the lucky sucker that ended up with it as I wasn't concerned about originality. It wasn't until I pulled the engine pad and interior that she showed her dark side barf.gif Driver floor ....solid as a rock, still has factory paint on tit. Pass looks good up fron, not so much in the back

Nice! Had one of those myself. It's only metal. biggrin.gif
BK911
And congrats Jerry!!
Can you weld?
Any pictures?
ripper911
QUOTE(Jgilliam914 @ Oct 3 2013, 07:49 AM) *

Last night I agreed with the owner of the rusty 911 to buy it. I know that even if it is much worse than I expect. I got it for so little that just by parting the motor and webers I will be money ahead. I won't be able to pick it up until Thanksgiving unless I can talk my retired military brother in law who lives a couple hours away from the car to haul it to me. Needless to say I didn't sleep all that much last night and I am very excited to get into this!!

piratenanner.gif first.gif piratenanner.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 3 2013, 08:05 AM) *

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Oct 2 2013, 01:43 PM) *

Ummmmmm the early cars are valuable NOW. Being " in the business " now, you might want to keep a little closer eye "the business " Even if it isn't what you're getting paid for. You still represent A.A. mellow.gif

huh.gif Never mind, carry one

Yeah... I know. dry.gif

I bought the 911 when I was 19 years old, I'm not planning on selling it because the market is hot right now. I've had some work done to it recently, it's running hot but it is running again. Hopefully once I get an additional oil cooler it will help, I'm not trying to have the engine taken apart.

IPB Image

Gotta love the longhoods! wub.gif

BK911
LOVE me some targa!
Shine a light through the alt fan and see if something tried to build a nest.
peteyd
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 3 2013, 04:14 AM) *

Scotty,

I got you covered on all those parts you need there. We're going full steam ahead on all 911 parts. What year is this car anyways?

Pete
OU8AVW

Actually no one looked at that car Scotty, they did offer more that what you ultimatly paid sight unseen for it. BTW, i had another indication that the motor may be fourthcoming. I will keep you posted. I can't wait to see what you'll do with it! You were the right guy for that project!

So tell me, when good 911s are selling for $30-90k what does it mean when the market softens? If you can enjoy fixing a car up, drive it for a few years and sell it for as much or more than you have in it then you're a winner! That's the cool thing about these cars. You can't do that with any new car....
Jgilliam914
Here is the only photo of the outside I have, the rest are all underneath. And yes I can weld smile.gif Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 3 2013, 06:14 AM) *

Should be OK with that. Find someone who knows how to weld and get'r done. wink.gif

Eric_Shea
Awesome Jerry! Good on you man. A non-sunroof coupe! That will be a rewarding project. Start looking for a 3.0 and a 915 now!

Can we all start wanking away on the DAPO tricks now? Like the driving lights in the RS oil cooler opening?? biggrin.gif

Our recent DAPO story involves a ever so cool "slant nose 914". Oh what to do when you no longer have turn signals? Well... head to your local Farm & Fleet for some trailer implements and hit Home Depot on the way back for a tube of silicone. Done forget to totally destroy the wiring harness as you try to get them to blink:

IPB Image
Jgilliam914
Thanks Eric
I got a good chuckle where the driving lights were as well. I figure it might look good on someone else's car lol-2.gif . It will probably be the first thing I put on the bird board!
If all the numbers match wouldn't I be better off keeping it that way?
scotty b
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Oct 3 2013, 06:17 AM) *

Actually no one looked at that car Scotty, they did offer more that what you ultimatly paid sight unseen for it. BTW, i had another indication that the motor may be fourthcoming. I will keep you posted. I can't wait to see what you'll do with it! You were the right guy for that project!

My bad, I thought Eric and Ray looked at it. confused24.gif
Eric_Shea

Well... there is that, it might be a factory prototype like the one from Canada that shows up on eBay annually! biggrin.gif

Cool car though. I'd love to hear about your plans.

Edit: Looking at the car I thought it was engine and tranny-less. If you're talking about the engine thing... maybe (I thought you were joking about the lights). It would be a labor of love but fun to watch it come back to total original condition. What was the original color? The original T we have now is a numbers matching car and it's all there so it will remain stock... all the way down to the 185 HR14 tires. Most T's of that era were delivered with the S Trim Package. That should be the fatter S deco (which I think we see a glimpse of on the rear bumperette) and full 5-gauge instrumentation, including the clock. They also received 14" Fuchs on most that come with that package. "Comfort Group" is the Fuch's listing. I'd say if you got a COA, there's be a good chance it was delivered that way in 70 and 71.
shuie
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 3 2013, 07:14 AM) *

Beware. A couple people in know DEEP in the early 356 911 crowd looked at this one and thought it was solid.

Well, that IS solid to a 356 guy smile.gif

Jgilliam914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 3 2013, 01:03 PM) *

Well... there is that, it might be a factory prototype like the one from Canada that shows up on eBay annually! biggrin.gif

Cool car though. I'd love to hear about your plans.

HAHA My luck isn't that good of finding that prototype worth 27 million or whatever that owner thinks his is.
My plan would be to modify it lightly if the numbers do not match. The 3.0 and 915 will get some deep consideration.
The interior would be restored to period type seats door panels carpet etc.
The color will go back to the original color. I want it totally stock looking by appearance
I would upgrade the brakes and we will be talking once I get that far.
I am hoping for it to look like this.....
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
That's a beaut. 15" wheels. Proper Durant mirror. Proper silver trimmed lenses. Very nice.

That looks to have H1's though. That would have been correct for a European car. I like them so much better than the US ones. That's what I have on mine as well.
Jgilliam914
It's original color is Signal Orange! One of the contributing factors of wanting this one in particular.
Jgilliam914
After 6 weeks one eviction of tenants and finally moved in. Tomorrow is the day I go get the car. I made room in the garage today. I am very excited for my first ass dragger
Jgilliam914
604 miles to Aberdeen South Dakota. All I can say this project will test my skill and patience. I still feel I am up for the challenge

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif
Jgilliam914
My co-pilot Delilah

Click to view attachment
scotty b
beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif
Jgilliam914
Trailering the car home I had no issues. My issues started once I went to take if off the trailer. The left front torsion bar broke and I had to lift the front to clear the front of the trailer. The right front caliper froze so it just wouldn't roll off. I tried to hook it up to my 4 wheeler but it wouldn't start. My garden tractor didn't have enough weight to budge it. So I ended up un hitching the truck and dragging the POS off the trailer. Once I got it on the ground I had to find a spot I could jack the car up and use my 4 wheel dolly's. There is a slight lip into the garage that the dollies would not jump over. So I found the 4 cylinder motor mount bar and got the wheels popped over the lip. All during a steady rain. But it is in the garage and I swear I can hear it rusting
JStroud
Glad to hear you got it home and in the garage, despite the challenges.
Sounds like a fun project.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.