Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Couple electrical gremlins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrHyde
I have a couple gremlins I'm trying to sort out and thought I would post it up here...
Most of everything is working just fine, headlights/motors are working much better than they did in the parts car. I imagine thats because theres actual metal around the ground points.. biggrin.gif

Anyways heres what I got

1: Turn signals.. with headlights off left and right turn signals work just fine as do the 4-ways. With headlights on only the left turn signal works. right does nothing. no click, nothing.

2: trunk light and license plate lights are getting no power. This is coming off of fuse 7 along with the gauge lights which are working just fine and dimming when the knob is turned. I think this one might be a simple wire broken but I'm not sure yet. All I know is that I have no power when checked at the trunk light and ground..
Dave_Darling
1- Could be the flasher relay. Not sure exactly how you'd test it, though. sad.gif

2- There is a gray wire that goes through the main wiring harness and powers the engine bay light/rear trunk light and the license plate lights. In 74+ cars, it is hooked to the black/blue wire that powers the center console instrument lights. The connection is a little different in 73 and earlier cars, I think. Check connectivity on that wire. You may find it bundled up alongside the main harness in the center tunnel.

What year is this 914?

--DD
MrHyde
The harness is from my 73 parts car. There is a grey wire that comes off of fuse 7 along with the black/blue wire. The wires at the trunk and license plate are also grey.
Mike Bellis
#1 is a bad ground. With the lights off, the turn signals are pulling ground through the parking lamp. Lights on, ground goes away. This could also be caused by a bad lamp socket, pulling ground through the parking lamp. Check the front and rear lamp sockets first. Then clean the ground connections.
MrHyde
All the ground connections were cleaned back to bare metal with new nuts on the ground studs too. I notices that the bulbs the selfs are corroded. I'll clean the lamp sockets tomorrow and try again
MrHyde
Turn signals fixed. biggrin.gif

I went around the car and double checked the ground points. and everything was clean and tight. So I started pulling the light bulbs and checking the sockets for corrosion and loose wires at the lamps. I found two things. 1: The right side turn signal was only a single filiment bulb when it should be a double. Changed the bulb and bingo, the signals work when the headlights/parking lights are on. 2: I also noticed that the brake/marker lights in the back were flashing (dimly) along with the left turn signal. Also the front left marker light was flashing and it shouldn't be. turns out I was looking at the tail lamp upside down or something when I hooked it up and had the ground and one other wire switched. switched them back and all is good now.

Now I'm working on running a new line for the trunk light/license plate lights. The wire itself is broken/frayed near the trunk light.
MrHyde
New light ran for the trunk light and license plate bulbs.. everything works now. :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.