Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I can't wait to step on my clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
Today's menu includes resurfaced flywheel, new seal, new kep stage II clutch w/ all fresh new hardware, and...... (Drum roll)
NO MORE STRETCHING/BREAKING CABLE/TUBE BS!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
Alright ladies, show's over. Back to work.

-Ben M.
Aaron Cox
hydraulic clutch? way cool! how/where are you going to plumb it?
airsix
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 24 2003, 02:58 PM)
hydraulic clutch? way cool! how/where are you going to plumb it?

Hard-line goes right up the clutch tube. It's the perfect fit - just like it was made for it. MC is an aluminum Tilton (Brad's suggestion). Flex line to bridge from firewall to engine mount bar is a brake flex hose. Piece-o-cake. I love it when a plan comes together. Oops, almost forgot - 2psi residual presure valve to prevent drainback & spongy feeling. wink.gif

Total project cost was about the same as 2 clutch cables, so I figure if it lasts 5 years it'll have paid for its self (in addition to the pleasure of not having to adjust a stinking cable every month).

-Ben M.
Qarl
Keep us posted on the rest of the install details. And take/post pictures!

Regards,
Gint
Nice Ben. What are you using for a master cylinder? Where is it mounted?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Gint @ May 24 2003, 05:52 PM)
Nice Ben. What are you using for a master cylinder? Where is it mounted?

MC is an aluminum Tilton (Brad's suggestion).

problem solved wink.gif
Lawrence
Sound like it could be a really easy kit to put together... I hope you can take pictures of the install of the MC and hard lines.

-Rusty
Gint
Like I said, where/how did you mount the MC?
Brad Roberts
Gint,

You mount it right next to the other MC. Flip the clevis over for the stock clutch cable and use it to push on the new MC threaded shaft for the clutch.

Great job Ben clap56.gif We are getting ready to do this on 930 converted 914. I typically use Neal... but the CNC is a tad shorter. I like it.

B
Bleyseng
Brad, post some pics as this looks like a killer mod to do. I am tired of fighting the clutch cable!
Geoff
Gint
I need pics!!! icon13.gif
Bleyseng
How about using a clutch mc off a RX7? Nice and small design.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
The Tilton/Neal/CNC MC's have a two bolt setup almost identical to the stock MC. You drill two holes..weld a thin scab plate to the flat wall area ..and mount it next to the stock MC. I use a second brake resovoir for the fluid.

Make that 3 holes.. 2 bolt holes and one BIG one for the MC itself.

B
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(airsix @ May 24 2003, 04:29 PM)
 ...(in addition to the pleasure of not having to adjust a stinking cable every month).

Heh... Nope, you get to substitute the joy of bleeding the clutch hydraulic system, and flushing the system every other year.... rolleyes.gif

I think I might prefer the hydraulic throw-out bearing (!!!) that Wevo has. Don't know if they've got one for the 901, but there was one for the 915! Kewl stuff.

--DD
Bleyseng
The Mazda one has a built in resevoir that sits on it. I have one laying around. I was toying with installing it but hadn't come up with the solution at the other end.
I thought WEVO had one for the 901?

Geoff
Brad Roberts
I dont think there would be enough room under there for the resovoir.. you know how hard it is to getbthe lines in the stock MC (no room)

B
airsix
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 25 2003, 09:54 AM)
I think I might prefer the hydraulic throw-out bearing (!!!) that Wevo has. Don't know if they've got one for the 901, but there was one for the 915! Kewl stuff.

--DD

Yeah, I'd love the WEVO too, but $750 was about $650 over my target buget. (I'm sure it is a very well designed and built system)

-Ben M.
aufaber
IPB Image

Looks a lot like mine biggrin.gif

Works great, i used all wilwood bits. Pretty much the same thing though. I went with hard line all the way back except for some braided at the master and slave. I have since switched to braided from the firewall back since I realy didn't like how unsupported the hardline was hanging out there.

-Aaron G.
airsix
Looks a lot like mine  :D
(snip)
 -Aaron G.

Nice! I like it better than mine - your mount has the slave in better alignment with the fork. I think tonight I might go out and fab a new mount like yours. Thanks for posting the pic.

-Ben M.
914Timo
Very nice, but like Gint and others I would like to see pics about the MC. I am not sure if I understood all Brad explaned..... huh.gif
aufaber
QUOTE(914Timo @ May 25 2003, 10:02 PM)
Very nice, but like Gint and others I would like to see pics about the MC. I am not sure if I understood all Brad explaned.....     huh.gif

Well brads way of mounting a remote resivour master cyl. on the other side of the firewall is definately cleaner in the long run. I have mine all in the cabin, making the clutch pedal face sit about 1" closer.

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
The best part is: nothing changes inside the car.

Aaron your pretty tall if I recall correctly.. does that setup work ok for you ?? You could easily use the pieces you have to move it to other side and buy the remote kit (they sell the line and resovoir seperate)

B
aufaber
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 25 2003, 11:23 PM)
The best part is: nothing changes inside the car.

Aaron your pretty tall if I recall correctly.. does that setup work ok for you ?? You could easily use the pieces you have to move it to other side and buy the remote kit (they sell the line and resovoir seperate)

B

I'm 6'4", actualy haven't had any trouble yet. I figured I would eventualy put a remote MC in when I was going to be doing work on the other side anyway.

I'm suprised I don't even notice that the pedal is closer. i'll see how it works as I start driving the car more often. Yesterday replaced the leaking timing chain cover that was putting oil onto the belts.

-Aaron G>
airsix
Project update:

What a PITA. I spoke way to soon when I said this was a piece-o-cake. Slave cyl install was a no-brainer. Plumbing the lines was a no-brainer. Installing the master cyl? Let's just say I've got 4 hours into it and all I've managed to do is make a big mess. Trying to establish a good mounting surface for the MC and still leave enought room in front of it so the line doesn't run into the suspension support has been a nightmare. Tonight I'll pull the MC back off and use a sawsall to cut out the mess I've made and start over. mad.gif

-Ben M.
Brad Roberts
Do you have a 90 degree banjo on the end of the clutch MC ??

Show me a pic of your clutch MC.

Ha ha.. clutch MC. << My new rap star name.

"Clutch MC"
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 27 2003, 08:31 AM)
Do you have a 90 degree banjo on the end of the clutch MC ??

The nose of the MC is female AN. It came with an AN line coupler (join female MC to female AN fitting) and a AN-to-3/16-flare adapter. On the way home from work I was going to try to pick up a 90 elbow for the 3/16 flare since that's what the rest of my lines are. I hadn't thought of using a banjo fitting. That would make sense (assuming I can find the parts locally).

The biggest problem is the pan. Making a flat spot large enougth for the MC to mount to, and having it point it the right direction has me pulling my hair out.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.