Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Boots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I assume that since all the boots I have been sent have 6 holes instead of the 4 holes that I took off that that is all that is available these days?
Black22
Standard issue.
mrbubblehead
rockford driveline makes the best boots. but you need the original cv flanges. the style that the boot separates form the flange. i have used both german and brazilian cv boots and they suck. rockfords are super thick and last a long long time. cv boot replacement is a nasty dirty job. i would rather have a root canal than overhaul cv joints.
nine9three
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Oct 5 2013, 09:07 PM) *

rockford driveline makes the best boots. but you need the original cv flanges. the style that the boot separates form the flange. i have used both german and brazilian cv boots and they suck. rockfords are super thick and last a long long time. cv boot replacement is a nasty dirty job. i would rather have a root canal than overhaul cv joints.

agree.gif
ChrisFoley
We just installed a pair of axles for a customer who purchased them direct from Porsche recently.
The flanges all had 6 holes even though the CVs were real 914-4.
Tom
Chris,
Is there any need to do anything to keep the extra holes from leaking grease? Does anyone use any kind of sealant or gasket between the boots and cv flange?
Thanks,
Tom
jimkelly
I have a few OFF's in my garage, and at first I thought they were 6 holes, but realized they were four. i'd say clearly, that 2 open holes will let some grease fly.
wndsnd
Kind of uneasy leaving them open but what can you do besides dabbing them with sealant. And will the sealant adhere to the greasy mess or just fling out?

Also makes a good argument for using gaskets and wired bolts with Schnorr washers.

John
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 6 2013, 02:03 PM) *

Kind of uneasy leaving them open but what can you do besides dabbing them with sealant. And will the sealant adhere to the greasy mess or just fling out?

Also makes a good argument for using gaskets and wired bolts with Schnorr washers.

John
trying to seal them wont work. replacing them is your only choice.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Tom @ Oct 6 2013, 02:03 PM) *

Chris,
Is there any need to do anything to keep the extra holes from leaking grease? Does anyone use any kind of sealant or gasket between the boots and cv flange?
Thanks,
Tom

I would plug the holes with rtv.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.