Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brakes, Brakes and BRAKES
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bigbohr
The size difference was so striking that I had to post a pic ...
On the left is a 914 front caliper, in the middle a 911SC front caliper and on the right a 944 Turbo front caliper. The 944 caliper can be modified to fit 911 struts.
Despite its larger size, the 944 caliper seems to weigh significantly less than the 911 A caliper. I guess an S caliper may be lighter. Other advantage of the 944 caliper is that it is a 4 piston design.
Rough_Rider
Yep i weighed a full set of 4 944T calipers & their pounds lighter than the stock 914 items. Although the new rotors are bigger so negate the weight advantage.

When you fit yours could you jot down what parts you used. I'm currently scavenging parts together & double checking what to use.
Mueller
so negate the weight advantage
....it's even worse that the additional weight is rotating smile.gif

still gotta love big brakes, not sure why they are so darn sexy wub.gif
Aaron Cox
do they fit 3" or 3.5" strut spacing?
Bigbohr
They work on the 3.5" spacing struts. The 944 mounting eyes spacing is a bit larger than 3.5". Need to machine the eyes slightly to make the caliper fit on 911 struts.
Gary
Have 911 struts modified to fit 944T calipers on my machine. There's pictures on this thread: Gary's 914. Wes Hildreth through Rich Johnson modified the mounting ears. Modifying the calipers is an option too... Stops on a dime. Installed a 19mm MC and replaced the proportioning valve with a T fitting. Now going with 911 carrera rear calipers with 911 ebrake setup too. Since that thread, Steve at Aircooled Racing has replaced the rotors and pads. Within a month or two of finishing....
ein 6er
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 17 2004, 03:47 PM)
so negate the weight advantage
....it's even worse that the additional weight is rotating smile.gif

still gotta love big brakes, not sure why they are so darn sexy wub.gif

i saw one of those new car shows, i think it "tuner tv" or something. they had been doing a series of performance mods to a honda and doing before and after runs on a dyno to see what sort of hp increase they would get. on this show they did an exhaust upgrade and a big brake kit. the new exhaust was suppose to give them X amount of an hp increase. but on the dyno, they were actually making less hp than with the stock exhaust.

they said, the the reason they were making less hp after the mod, was because of the rotating mass of the larger rotors.
echocanyons
I weighed my stock 914 struts/brake and my 911 struts with monoblocks (both struts fully loaded and ready for a wheel) and the difference was ~41lbs for stock and ~40 for the monoblocks I state "~" because I was using a home scale and question the accuracy but the point is that the weight was pretty much the same for stock vs. upgraded in my case.
charlesmac
I saw that same episode of 'whatever the the name of it is'. I remember them saying that the bigger rotor was lighter than the factory one, but because of the larger diameter, they lost h.p. at the wheels.
John
What is the difference between 930 calipers and those from that front engined water pumper?

The real key to AWESOME braking is the ability to dissipate the heat generated during braking. Larger calipers will only add more heat given the same rotor size.

What is the size of the rotors?
seanery
If I remember correctly this is what I've got on bluecar:

FRONT:
944 Turbo front calipers on 911S Bilstein struts
Carrera Front Rotors

REAR:
Boxster monobloc rear calipers
Rich Johnson adapters
911 SC Rear Rotors
Weltmeister adjustable Prop valve
Gary
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 18 2004, 05:06 AM)
If I remember correctly this is what I've got on bluecar:

FRONT:
944 Turbo front calipers on 911S Bilstein struts
Carrera Front Rotors

REAR:
Boxster monobloc rear calipers
Rich Johnson adapters
911 SC Rear Rotors
Weltmeister adjustable Prop valve

Sounds a lot like mine: Carrera rotors all around, 944T calipers up front, carerra calipers out back. Might look into those monoblocks sometime. I suspect I'd save a few pounds...
Bigbohr
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Dec 17 2004, 09:15 PM)
What is the size of the rotors?

944 turbo rotor measures 298x28 and 930 rotor 304x32. 911SC front rotors measure 282x20.

The 944 turbo and 930 brake pads are the same. I tried to measure/estimate the brake surface area as good as I could (pads are not square). 944T/930 brake pad surface is slightly less than 7 sq in. 911SC pad surface is about 5.5 sq in.
sixnotfour
The carrera rotors are thicker ; front 24mm ,rear 42mm ,same dia. as SC.
brant
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Dec 17 2004, 07:43 PM)
I weighed my stock 914 struts/brake and my 911 struts with monoblocks (both struts fully loaded and ready for a wheel) and the difference was ~41lbs for stock and ~40 for the monoblocks I state "~" because I was using a home scale and question the accuracy but the point is that the weight was pretty much the same for stock vs. upgraded in my case.

did that include the rotors?

I know you said fully loaded.... but I would think the difference between a small non vented rotor, and a large vented rotor would be closer to 10-15lbs....

brant
echocanyons
Yep that included rotors.

Kelly
brant
wow...

brant
datapace
Hey you 944T front caliper guys ... are you using parts from a particular year, or are the 951 calipers all the same?

How many of you modified the strut housing vs. the caliper ears?

thanks,

-bryan
iamchappy
Mine are hogged out, They came that way when I purchased the car. I have read by others that it is not a good way of doing it, but many have done it this way without problems, My car was a track car and used the calipers mounted this way without problems. I converted it back to a street car and the brakes work great, Im not to worried about it. But think the correct way is best via the ears or modifiing the mounts on the struts.
seanery
the 86 non ABS calipers are the ones.
I elongated the holes a tiny little bit.
iamchappy
frnt
iamchappy
back
iamchappy
The back ones were done right by welding new ears on the swing arm.
mattillac
what kind of wheels you got? IPB Image
datapace
6 and 7 x16 Fuchs.

Thanks for the pictures! I think I'm going to give it a shot ... I could see clearance problems w/15" wheels as the calipers are huge.

-b
iamchappy
I have 944 t phone dials 7 x 16 and 8 x 16s
seanery
16s are a must, 15s won't clear the caliper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.