Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't start, used fuel pump vs aftermarket pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stefs914
I finally got all my ignition parts in new battery wires plugs cap rotor condenser. Resealed the gas tank with the por-15 kit drained and clean all the old fuel lines changes oil and went to start it and its getting zero fuel to the carbs. I don't hear any electrical noise from the fuel punp when I turn the key to acc and I'm also not getting any juice to the plug at the top not unless my volt meter is broke.
So I guess my question is, is do I try and get new fuses and see if that changes anything? Trace the wires and try to find a short? Or buy either a replacement pump an aftermarket pump?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
SLITS
Where did you wire the power to your fuel pump from?
Mblizzard
For me, I dislike tracing electrical problems associated with fuel while in the car. I always remove the pump and verify that it runs while hooked to a 12-volt source outside the car. I would do that first and then if the pump runs on the bench use a multi tester to trouble shoot the wires.

Fire bad! blowup.gif blowup.gif
stefs914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 9 2013, 12:11 PM) *

Where did you wire the power to your fuel pump from?

As far as I know it's wired the way it was from factory the only thing I know is different is its carbs not injection.
stefs914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 9 2013, 02:09 PM) *

For me, I dislike tracing electrical problems associated with fuel while in the car. I always remove the pump and verify that it runs while hooked to a 12-volt source outside the car. I would do that first and then if the pump runs on the bench use a multi tester to trouble shoot the wires.

Fire bad! blowup.gif blowup.gif

Agreed!!
I should've done that before I put it back into the car... Got a little to excited!
cheer.gif headbang.gif
stefs914
If it is the fuel pump what options do I have for fuel pumps do I go with an aftermarket or try to find a used one?
timothy_nd28
If you replace the fuel pump with a new one, it still won't work. You need to figure out why you have no voltage first. Where is this fuel pump located at? Can you post a picture of it?
SLITS
If it is the original wiring and you switched to carbs it won't run as it is controlled by the FI system.

You will have to wire it into switched direct power or jumper the relay between terminals 30 and 87 on the relay or relay board.

SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 9 2013, 03:14 PM) *
If it is the original wiring and you switched to carbs it won't run as it is controlled by the FI system.
You will have to wire it into switched direct power or jumper the relay between terminals 30 and 87 on the relay or relay board.

agree.gif Power to the fuel pump is controlled by the FI brain.

Here's a link to a thread that describes how to trick your relay board into believing the FI brain is still there:
http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay.php

popcorn[1].gif
stefs914
The fuel pump is located directly underneath of the gas tank.
When the car was running it had carbs I'm guessing someone else converted it along the way. Regardless I will have to check that as well. Here's a few pics if that helps.
SLITS
From the pics, they probably pulled power from the fuse panel. You will need to check for 12 VDC on the wire at the pump with the key on.

If no power you get to trace it back to where ever the wire runs.

If you have power, the Facet fuel pump is dead.
bandjoey
That is an evil noisy aftermarket pump. Look at a rotary CB Performance pump.
rhodyguy
when you turn the key to the point when the dash/indicator lights come on you should hear the facet pump rattling away. simple check for power to the pump in the above mentioned position at the wire. loose the old school braided lines and slotted clamps. new or used shouldered clamps are readily available. i'd invest in the access panel from the 75/76' cars. way easier to access the filter, which should be prior/in front of the pump.
stefs914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 11 2013, 11:04 AM) *

when you turn the key to the point when the dash/indicator lights come on you should hear the facet pump rattling away. simple check for power to the pump in the above mentioned position at the wire. loose the old school braided lines and slotted clamps. new or used shouldered clamps are readily available. i'd invest in the access panel from the 75/76' cars. way easier to access the filter, which should be prior/in front of the pump.

Just to clarify the faucet pump is the one the top of next to the fill cap or the one below.. Sorry I'm a newbie like it says blink.gif
SLITS
No fuel pump near the filler.

The facet is the one labeled Facet .... it's in your pic.
stefs914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 11 2013, 11:24 PM) *

No fuel pump near the filler.

The facet is the one labeled Facet .... it's in your pic.

Thanks I thought so but thanks!
stefs914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 11 2013, 11:04 AM) *

I checked the fuel pump is definitely getting power. Someone mentioned a rotary any other suggestions on pumps? Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.