Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do Our Suby Conversions Bother Others Here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
76-914
I'm wondering how many of you are tired of reading about non-Porsche conversions. After all this is not mainstream and we are < 1% of this board. I ask this in all sincerity. I can't help but think that some might feel our posts inappropriate. I would certainly understand if so and you won't hurt my feelings. Just trying to show some respect for the majority. confused24.gif
luskesq
Doesn't bother me. I have little interest in them and am not compelled to read. Go for it.

Keith
'73-914kid
We have an originality forum for those that want to focus on keeping their 914 all original...the garage is just tha, a place to discuss anything 914 related, be it valve adjustments or motor swaps.. people who trailblaze the way for new engine conversions are extremely fun to read up on anyways.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
stephenaki
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Oct 11 2013, 12:53 PM) *

We have an originality forum for those that want to focus on keeping their 914 all original...the garage is just tha, a place to discuss anything 914 related, be it valve adjustments or motor swaps.. people who trailblaze the way for new engine conversions are extremely fun to read up on anyways.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

agree.gif I actually enjoy reading the different conversions and unique ways people resolve the issues they run into. They provide a lot of insight and ideas for me as I continue on my never ending 914 journey.

Those that are only interested in stock 914s have a place to go but the garage is for all. beerchug.gif
bandjoey
Adjust the poll to add. 'Wish I had one.'
jsayre914
I like to see the creativity. I have no intrest in anything other than VW actually. I have no interest in any other engine now that mine is performing biggrin.gif I would not trade it for anything, even a SIX shades.gif
Bob L.
This is for 914's (their owners, anyway) and whatever we want to do to them.

ar15.gif ar15.gif smash.gif smash.gif welder.gif welder.gif
jimkelly
this was very polite of you to ask. glad to see conversionITES have not become annoying to the community at large. biggrin.gif
mepstein
I was never into them in the past. Now I'm looking at doing one as a daily driver/long trip car. Seems like a great option and should remain a talking point on our forum.
Mike Bellis
I HATE CONVERSIONS!!! biggrin.gif
bulitt
Not many out of 113,000 vehicles. When I purchased my V8 kit from renegade last year I was only number 575. Sure more adapters sold by kennedy but not a large amount.
ThePaintedMan
Anything that drums up interest to convince people to keep them on the road is reason enough to do it.

The only time I really care about originality is when someone has a good condition or unmolested car that they want to hack up. There are still plenty of them out there that need attention that one can experiment on. That's why I'll never feel bad trying anything out on my car - it probably shouldn't have survived to begin with. Good idea for a poll! aktion035.gif
DRPHIL914
I don't plan on doing one but I do enjoy reading them, . And I am co tinually amazed at the talent that many of you possess. I appreciate the planning, thought , And engineering that goes into many of these builds! I have learned a lot from them. I say do what you want , thanks for sharing and pos to g the details, the process etc.
Of course I shutter when I see something like Elliott cutting on his car for the flares, but then you see the finished product , wow! This week I have read threads on v8's (wow! I could have had a V8!), suby conversions, and a SHO!
Please keep it coming!
JRust
Yeah you crazy damn guys with your darn suby conversions! Is there nothing pure left in this world blink.gif

I love mine piratenanner.gif
RonW
its mostly what brings me to the forum biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
No...
damesandhotrods
I’m not a big fan of mixed marriages. Be it 914, MGB, and so on. But I’m not about to start calling for heads on pikes. What’s the point of driving an old car if you’re going remove it’s soul? I am on the other hand quite willing to take issue with owners who never driven a 914, let alone rode in one, who before they get the thing home are planning engine swaps.
SLITS
they sound funny. confused24.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 11 2013, 11:46 PM) *
I am on the other hand quite willing to take issue with owners who never driven a 914, let alone rode in one, who before they get the thing home are planning engine swaps.

That's a good point. Need to drive it in it's purest form first.
R8CERX
Amazing work! Keep on trucking! piratenanner.gif drunk.gif
type47
I feel that the car's owner should do what they want to their car. I like mine a certain way and it doesn't bother me that owners do to their cars what individualizes them and makes them an expression of their ideas. I think it's a testament what people engineer and create.
Ian Stott
That is such a considerate thing to ask, we may have to make you an honorary Canadian! Interesting posts are enjoyable to follow, for me anyway, and if a post is not interesting to me I just pass it by. I think that is the intent of the garage and we have admins who will bump something to somewhere else if they think it is necessary. Love this site and much thanks to all who have helped me over the years, Suby or otherwise.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
bulitt
Carroll Shelby created one hell of a conversion once...
somd914
My daily family transport:

Click to view attachment

'05 Legacy GT Stage 2 mods for 270 HP and close to 300 lbs of torque, 5 speed. What a sleeper, couldn't imagine this 2.5 flat four in my teener at 1,200+ lbs lighter!

With that said I have nothing against Suby conversions though I'd prefer to keep a Porsche/VW engine in my teener, but for each their own.
914_teener
Hmmmmmm. Sounds like a philosophical question.

Well....doesn't it already have a personality complex?

Does it become a ANARP? confused24.gif

Actually Not A Real Porsche? blink.gif

You are your own cars keeper driving.gif
Jeff Hail
Have to appreciate the Suby and other power swaps and see the humor in the title for a thread/poll.

A paradigm wrapped in a paradox.

A Porsche made by Volkswagen with a transmission made by Porsche, engine by Volkswagen, electrical by Bosch, lighting by Hella, brakes by Alfred Teves and a conglomerate of other suppliers. In Germany it was labeled a Volkswagen and elsewhere a Porsche. The first year was the next year. Some were completed at the Porsche factory and most were not. Its production demise was due to union upset that the manufacturer wanted more from the partner whose name was actually on the car and did the marketing for the model.

… and forty some years later a few decided to install a flat opposed power plant similar to the original design but made in Japan cooled by liquid. Hmmm?

It’s perfect!

Yeah Suby's sound a bit fluttery but they grow on you.
jtf914
I can appreciate anything that is well executed. I'd rather see a really clean suby conversion than a hack job on a -6 installation...
VaccaRabite
In my opinion the guy who berates someone for doing a suby/Chevy/rotary etc conversion is the guy that does not belong here, so long as you are posting about it in the garage and not the concourse section.
Zach
carr914
Not a Fan of Conversion that don't include a 911 Motor, but I admire the work that is put into these.

Suby & other motor threads belong here!
Gearhead1432
I like seeing the various conversions here. I think my favorite is the 911 engine followed by the Subaru boxer.

Getting quality parts has become problematic and more expensive for the VW T4. As time goes by I think we will just see more and more of the conversions just to get the reliability of a modern engine.

-Rob
JoeSharp
There is always one.
skeates
Didn't Porsche help Subaru with the variable valve lift technology in the EZ30R engines? I seem to remember even seeing somewhere that the lifters in those engines are actually Porsche parts! If so, that means we could consider the suby motors more like adopted cousins then poor breeding. grouphug.gif
Evil914
While I wouldn't chop up a nice stock 14,I bought mine with the Chev motor in place but not done. And nothing beats the look on that guys face when he figures out that his high dollar store bought toy's not going to walk away from my homebuilt rocket.Priceless and you couldn't slap the huge grin off my face every time I drive it. biggrin.gif
green914
Do not mind at all - keep your post coming. smile.gif biggrin.gif happy11.gif
worn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 11 2013, 12:45 PM) *

I'm wondering how many of you are tired of reading about non-Porsche conversions. After all this is not mainstream and we are < 1% of this board. I ask this in all sincerity. I can't help but think that some might feel our posts inappropriate. I would certainly understand if so and you won't hurt my feelings. Just trying to show some respect for the majority. confused24.gif

Nice of you to ask. Actually the interest in using a more modern power plant in the cars we love is kind of affirming. Kid broke my heart the other day: " Mommy - that's a really old car isn't it?" I was wondering how a 3-4 year old little girl could pick up on that. Her mother simply answered yes, which was indeed correct.
veekry9
Having spent some time researching the conversion threads,
the liquid cooled F6 should be regarded as worthy.
NARP or not.the spirit if not the letter.
A V8 without Porsche heritage is of course less worthy
but more like a GT40 in acceleration (emoticon).
A Porsche V8 trackside at LeMan in '67=competition.
euro911
Get them gull-durned rice-burners the hell outta here mad.gif

laugh.gif

I enjoy seeing your progress as well as the other guys'. I may end up doing one some day (after you guys get all the bugs sorted out), albeit probably in a Westfalia first, so it's all good shades.gif
veekry9
QUOTE(Evil914 @ Oct 14 2013, 05:35 AM) *

While I wouldn't chop up a nice stock 14,I bought mine with the Chev motor in place but not done. And nothing beats the look on that guys face when he figures out that his high dollar store bought toy's not going to walk away from my homebuilt rocket.Priceless and you couldn't slap the huge grin off my face every time I drive it. biggrin.gif

Werner Von Braun's ride.

Click to view attachment

Who sells them or do you have to build
it like you would a 914?
DBCooper
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Oct 14 2013, 05:48 PM) *

Wow. That may be the coolest motorcycle I've ever seen. Those would be PERFECT new clothes for an old K bike I have in the garage. Think of all the opportunities that thing would give you. Meeting nice police officers, Homeland Security and FBI agents, foreign terrorists. Some extra bucks on the side advertising for local stores ("The Mattress Bomb" "Juanitas EXPLOSIVE Taco Truck"). Political statements (oh wow) up the ying yang, inspiring little children, wannabe astronauts, and so on and so on. Very cool. Can you still find surplus belly tanks? Tell me where and I'm there.

corsepervita
Engine swaps and conversions never really bother me. I figure a car is what it is and if someone enjoys it then it's all good. Although, with an original car, I feel like a custodian of preservation, therefore, wouldn't consider such a thing on an original car. But a car that's already been through all that? Nah, let the owner do what they wish and have fun.
Elliot Cannon
Anyone who installs a Japanese engine in a German car will burn in hell forever. Or at the very least, develop an annoying rash in an inaccessible place. poke.gif stirthepot.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Anyone who installs a Japanese engine in a German car will burn in hell forever. Or at the very least, develop an annoying rash in an inaccessible place. poke.gif stirthepot.gif

Having said that, wouldn't it be nice though, to have a modern fuel injection, ignition and efficient cooling system that develops good HP? av-943.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2013, 07:15 PM) *

So THAT'S what that is. Can I borrow a dzus fastener to scratch it with?
stugray
My racecar body is nearly perfect. I cringe every time I run a screw through the sheet metal.

However with that said: Would someone please do a FA20 conversion already?

IPB Image

Then you'll have a Porsche, built by VW, with an engine from a subaru designed by Toyota.....
I'll even loan out my Tactrix cable for a tune....

Stu
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 16 2013, 07:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2013, 07:15 PM) *

So THAT'S what that is. Can I borrow a dzus fastener to scratch it with?

One of these should work great. av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 15 2013, 09:30 AM) *

Wow. That may be the coolest motorcycle I've ever seen. Those would be PERFECT new clothes for an old K bike I have in the garage. Think of all the opportunities that thing would give you. Meeting nice police officers, Homeland Security and FBI agents, foreign terrorists. Some extra bucks on the side advertising for local stores ("The Mattress Bomb" "Juanitas EXPLOSIVE Taco Truck"). Political statements (oh wow) up the ying yang, inspiring little children, wannabe astronauts, and so on and so on. Very cool. Can you still find surplus belly tanks? Tell me where and I'm there.

I know where at least two are for sale in the Philly PA area. Yes, you can still find them.
IM101
Personally I can't stand them. It's why i have refused to finish my own headbang.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 16 2013, 04:01 PM) *

I know where at least two are for sale in the Philly PA area. Yes, you can still find them.

Extremely cool. Tell me where and I'm there. (PM coming)

veekry9
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 15 2013, 10:30 AM) *

Yeah
Its's neat,so much so I wonder why I never thought of it.
Likely a salts guy thinking out side the lines.
I particularly admire his console and seating,rodeo style.
Have you ever imagined yourself on the Jetsons?
What a blast if you add a flamethrower exhuast.
Soon to be improved wordwide.
IPB Image
mgp4591
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2013, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 15 2013, 05:15 PM) *

Having said that, wouldn't it be nice though, to have a modern fuel injection, ignition and efficient cooling system that develops good HP? av-943.gif

So would your Teenaru have a label that sez "Power by Axis"? Sorry, I've been watching alot of WWII videos...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.