Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shifter console measurement needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix-MN
Can somebody that has a side-shift transmission make a measurement for me? I need to know what this distance is when the lever is is the forward and reward positions when the gears are engaged. Thanks

Click to view attachment

Mike Bellis
I know it's less than 3". I used a cable with a 3" stroke on my cable shifter... smile.gif
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 13 2013, 07:11 PM) *

I know it's less than 3". I used a cable with a 3" stroke on my cable shifter... smile.gif

Ok, that's a good start, but I need a more precise measurement because I will be making a longer arm and I need to figure out how much room I'll have in the housing.

Thanks
rick 918-S
I don't have a car in the shop with a transaxle connected but this is a good bump anyway. icon_bump.gif
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 14 2013, 12:44 PM) *

I don't have a car in the shop with a transaxle connected but this is a good bump anyway. icon_bump.gif

Actually, this would be easier to measure with the transaxle on the bench biggrin.gif
jimkelly
here is something to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI_v5MAqMGU
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 14 2013, 03:52 PM) *

here is something to work with.

We're getting closer shades.gif but not quite what I need
r_towle
3/4 of an inch from center in either direction.
Made me go get all greasy
timothy_nd28
I think he wants a measurement within 0.0001"
r_towle
0.75 from center to center in either position
Overall 1.50000000

I measured against the edge of the housing to the center of the ball in all three positions
Jon B
Maybe this will help.
There are more precise ways to do this, but I don't have the time.

The lever cannot be in both positions at once, as in your image, and there's no nearby reference to measure against, so I extended the two 8mm studs. The lever ball does not hit the extended stud in either direction, as your image suggests. It comes closer towards the rear, as the stud offset is different. The ball comes within 0.160" (approx) of stud in forward direction, within 0.060" (approx) in rear direction. Inner distance between the two studs is approx 2.280". Studs are not equal distance from the lever pivot point.

I'll let you do the math :)

Click to view attachment

Jon B.
Vista, CA
r_towle
Oh, I want one if you do it....
jimkelly
why are you " making a longer arm" ??

are you going cable shift, or are you trying to lengthen your shifts, or ... ?

I've seen pics of welded consoles, so you may not be fully limited by the edges of the console.

r_towle
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 14 2013, 10:37 PM) *

I've seen pics of welded consoles, so you may not be fully limited by the edges of the console.

Longer arm =shorter shift
Bob L.
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 14 2013, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 14 2013, 10:37 PM) *

Longer arm =shorter shift

Depends on which arm you are referring to.

If you lengthen the one pictured, wouldn't in lengthen the shift.
The end would have to swing a larger arc to move the innerds the same amount.

Jon B
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Oct 14 2013, 07:54 PM) *
If you lengthen the one pictured, wouldn't in lengthen the shift.

If you lengthen the arm pictured, yes, it would lengthen the shift.

Jon B.
Phoenix-MN
Now we're cook'n with gas aktion035.gif

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Oct 14 2013, 06:03 PM) *

I think he wants a measurement within 0.0001"

That would be nice poke.gif

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 14 2013, 06:05 PM) *

0.75 from center to center in either position
Overall 1.50000000

I measured against the edge of the housing to the center of the ball in all three positions

Perfect clap56.gif

QUOTE(Jon B @ Oct 14 2013, 06:07 PM) *

Maybe this will help.
There are more precise ways to do this, but I don't have the time.

The lever cannot be in both positions at once, as in your image, and there's no nearby reference to measure against, so I extended the two 8mm studs. The lever ball does not hit the extended stud in either direction, as your image suggests. It comes closer towards the rear, as the stud offset is different. The ball comes within 0.160" (approx) of stud in forward direction, within 0.060" (approx) in rear direction. Inner distance between the two studs is approx 2.280". Studs are not equal distance from the lever pivot point.

I'll let you do the math smile.gif

Jon B.
Vista, CA

Perfect (again) beerchug.gif

Yes, this is for a cable shift idea that I've been thinking about for some time now. Most of the solutions that are used seem to be overly complicated when it comes to the linkage design at the shift console. I have an idea that will have a very simple and robust design with few parts. Now that I have some measurements I can start to draw up things in cad.

Thank you to all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.