Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner. Hello, and a question about replacement bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Corellian Corvette
Evening everyone!

Just joined tonight, as I got my first Porsche (a 1973 1.7) last weekend. I've loved these since I was a kid, and although I have quite a few vintage muscle cars, I'm interested in exploring the world of European sports cars.

The previous owner is a friend of mine, and he's an engineer and racer who has really brought back a nice original car. It has no rust, and he's taught himself the ins and outs of the fuel injection system and has the engine in perfect working order. Mechanically the car is perfect.

The only negative of the car is that he recently installed front poly control arm bushings, and while the car handles well, the noise is unacceptable. Even he regretted it.

So the only real change I need to make is to replace the front bushings. All the catalogs list either Poly or Graphite replacements. I'm not going to drive then car hard enough, or put enough miles on it, to get the benefit of poly. I would prefer comfortable ride and quiet so my wife will join me.

Is there an OEM rubber bushing available that's completely quiet?

Once that's done, perhaps someone can explain the confounding contraption called the heater controls.

Thanks in advance!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Corellian Corvette @ Oct 16 2013, 11:09 PM) *

Nope, no OEM rubber. Which is why there are several aftermarket solutions of different quality.

Ok, let me take that back, if you contact Porsche you might actually still be able to get the original rubber bushings.
Problem is, if so, they are firmly attached to a brand new a-arm!
icon8.gif

PS:
welcome.png
mskala
There is definitely a source of rubber that is not bonded to a new arm, I've seen a video of it. Will try to find it later. I have recently gone to Elephant Racing poly-bronze, which has been nice and quiet and easy to install.
jimkelly
most anything you will need for your 914 can be gotten at
pelican or pmb
http://www.pmbperformance.com/914suspension.html
Jgilliam914
welcome.png Good advice so far
KELTY360
welcome.png

Can't believe I get to say this:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
NORD

welcome.png

For rubber front control arm bushings, contact Eric at PMB Performance. He is a vendor
Here and a up front guy. You can also get rubber rear swing arm bushings.

No sqweekkkkk. I redid mine, all OK. driving.gif
Matt Romanowski
Elephant Racing has rubber control arm kits with the tools to install them.
shuie
Try the URO brand stock style rubber or whatever Eric @ PMB Performance or Chuck @ Elephant Racing recommend for a street car. There are lots of threads here and videos on youtube that walk through the install process.
6freak
try some grease... confused24.gif ...install zerks if not already in! ...worked for my polybroze squeak but grease wont help the harsh ride...just loose some PSI in the tires when the little women is along...welcome and injoy your new toy

smile.gif
green914
welcome.png
mittelmotor
I used Weltmeister "restoration" bushings that I bought at Paragon Products. They're a little bit firmer than the stock rubber bushings, but no squeaks whatsoever. If only I could get my targa top seals to be so quiet!
stefs914
welcome.png
ConeDodger
welcome.png
Corellian Corvette
Thanks everyone! Pics will be forthcoming this weekend. I've been too busy driving it!
What is the consensus on adding zerk fittings? I was considering that. Can it be done on the car? Might be a good thing to try first before pulling the a-arms off again...

After following the links I think I like the elephant racing ones. But racking the car and installing some zerks might be worth a step...
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 17 2013, 03:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Corellian Corvette @ Oct 16 2013, 11:09 PM) *

Nope, no OEM rubber. Which is why there are several aftermarket solutions of different quality.

Ok, let me take that back, if you contact Porsche you might actually still be able to get the original rubber bushings.
Problem is, if so, they are firmly attached to a brand new a-arm!
icon8.gif

PS:
welcome.png

Elephant has a stock, oem rubber solution. Front and back. It's on their website.
DEC
welcome.png
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
carr914
welcome.png

BillH has some FreeMotion Bushings FS in the Classifieds at a Very Good Price
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Corellian Corvette @ Oct 17 2013, 10:50 PM) *

Thanks everyone! Pics will be forthcoming this weekend. I've been too busy driving it!
What is the consensus on adding zerk fittings? I was considering that. Can it be done on the car? Might be a good thing to try first before pulling the a-arms off again...

After following the links I think I like the elephant racing ones. But racking the car and installing some zerks might be worth a step...

Rubber bushings and grease don't get along all that well .....................

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2013, 05:24 AM) *
Elephant has a stock, oem rubber solution. Front and back. It's on their website.

No, they don't.

They have and i quote "OEM spec rubber replacements". They are neither stock nor OEM but they probably just as good as the originals were 40 years ago.

popcorn[1].gif
Corellian Corvette
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 18 2013, 10:17 AM) *

No, they don't.

They have and i quote "OEM spec rubber replacements". They are neither stock nor OEM but they probably just as good as the originals were 40 years ago.

popcorn[1].gif

So is there another source for quiet, OEM quality rubber bushings at a lower cost? Variants of Poly seem to be readily available but I would like to go to rubber.

Additionally, I'm wondering what people think about trying to add zerk fittings to my existing setup prior to swapping them out to see if I can make them more quiet...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Corellian Corvette @ Oct 18 2013, 01:25 PM) *
Additionally, I'm wondering what people think about trying to add zerk fittings to my existing setup prior to swapping them out to see if I can make them more quiet...

For the zerks to work properly, the bushing needs to be grooved. That means you'll have to take them apart.

Not a big deal, IMHO.
shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 18 2013, 01:17 PM) *

No, they don't.

popcorn[1].gif

Corrected. Thank you
Corellian Corvette
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 18 2013, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Corellian Corvette @ Oct 18 2013, 01:25 PM) *

For the zerks to work properly, the bushing needs to be grooved. That means you'll have to take them apart.

Not a big deal, IMHO.
shades.gif

If I'm going to have to disassemble, id prefer to put rubber back in. I'm sure the elephant ones are excellent, any reason they are so expense? Is there a quiet but less expensive alternative?
jimkelly
elephant claims cost is due to research and rubber composition, that theirs has the best elasticity available, low amount of deformation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03h2gE4Rao

pmb has $49.95 front rubber but I do not think anyone offers a low cost rear rubber.

the rubber, because it grips on both sides, does not allow slipping, thus grease makes no sense, besides being corrosive to rubber I assume. with suspension travel being so limited anyway, I wonder how much benefit can be gotten from bronze ($500) or rebel racing enclosed bushings VS polygraphite ($50) or rubber? I doubt there is a 10:1 ratio of return on investment. that said, the nicer stuff is pretty wub.gif

that said the poly needs some rheming, see post #44.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91491<br />

http://www.pmbperformance.com/914suspension.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.