Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: SVX Syncro Westy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
I've had this bus since 2009 and the 6 cylinder Subaru engine since 2007. Bought the engine to convert a 2WD Westy and later decided if I was going to spend all those $$ on a conversion it made sense to do it on a Syncro instead.

Bought an 80K mile long block from a boneyard in E. Washington and a '92 SVX parts car to get wiring, ecu, alternator, ps pump, air box, etc. I resealed the engine, replaced timing belt, sprockets, tensioner, oil pump, water pump and starter. Had the trans rebuilt by AA Transaxle, who regeared 3rd & 4th and added a Small Car bellhousing. The s/s exhaust and engine mount were also obtained from Small Car. Bought the reverse cooling manifold from Vanaru and also had them shorten the oil pan. I sourced a big brake kit from Van Cafe and 15" MB wheels to hold the Firestone Destination A/T 215/75/15 tires. Finally, this Spring, I shipped all the components to NorthWesty, a local shop that specializes in Syncros and Subie conversions, to put the whole package together.

After some delays and hiccups, it's finally back where it belongs, my driveway. I have a lot of work left to make it a fully functioning Westy; sort out the propane, water & electical systems, install new bumpers, fix horn, etc.

Fixing the horn is very important because with this 230 hp beast people are going to have to GET OUT OF THE FUCHING WAY!! I can't believe the smooth, effortless power the eg33 delivers. It pulls smoothly from 2000 rpm and by 3000 it's coming on like a freight train. I have no idea what it feel like above 5000 - haven't had the balls to go there yet. I can't even imagine what this engine must feel like in a 914. The Syncro Westy weighs over 4500#, more than twice the weight of a 914!

Looking forward to many adventures with this rig. Who knows, when the bumper with integrated hitch goes on I may even tow my 914 behind!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
billh1963
That is simply AWESOME!
Chris H.
Beautiful man. Beautiful. You did that right. Love the polished intake.

I'm..... going out to the garage... biggrin.gif
Rand
Marc, this is one awesome milestone. That rig rocks! Nice work.
biosurfer1
need some video of it in action!
76-914
thumb3d.gif No more downshifting for the inclines. piratenanner.gif
pt_700
now for the $64,000 question?

am i close?

seriously, that's a very cool rig!
JRust
AWESOME piratenanner.gif . I've heard about this rig for years now. SO glad to see you have it roadworthy. Killer transformation. I can't wait to see that puppy in person. Great Job first.gif
sdthomas
Congrats, Marc; it looks amazing. Makes me wish I hadn't sold my Vanagon.
KELTY360
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 17 2013, 11:53 AM) *

No downshifting going around corners. 3rd gear is like putting it in Drive. I'll probably have to drop down to 3rd for the steep stuff on the highway because I had a taller 4th put in, but I should still be able to do 65-70 (taller 3rd also).

idea.gif Maybe I'll make a run up to Snoqualmie Pass today just to see.
Kirmizi
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 17 2013, 10:21 AM) *

That is simply AWESOME!

agree.gif That is soooo kickass
dfelz
That is a beautiful piece of art you have there. Congrats! Enjoy that sucker!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 17 2013, 10:36 AM) *

Thanks Chris, I've been following your build and am impressed with the issues you've overcome. Would love to ride in a 914-svx. The low end torque is monstrous. You'll probably never use 1st gear.
OU8AVW
My dream car! drooley.gif
scotty b
drooley.gif The only thing that could make it better would be to drop a 23 window body on that pan happy11.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 17 2013, 03:37 PM) *

Thanks Chris, I've been following your build and am impressed with the issues you've overcome. Would love to ride in a 914-svx. The low end torque is monstrous. You'll probably never use 1st gear.

Thank you Marc! There's much more to do but it's been fun so far. I've had a lot of help and advice from the gurus. When I finish it you are most welcome to a ride/drive.
veekry9
Yeah that's pretty terrific.
I'll make the suggestion to Joe,
my 914's P.O.
A VW mechanic of 30+ yrs.
His Westy is a nice med met blue
with a rebuilt engine to make it stock
powered.The Suby-6 was my initial
choice for the conversion I'm doing.
The work involved to do the plumbing
is what made my Corvair selection
easy.
The smooth effortless application of
long distance cruising power for a
heavily laden escape vehicle?
Suby-6.
I concur.
IPB Image
messix
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

that is awesome!!!

so now Lucy, the teener and the sycro are all on the road!!!!

if'n you're gonna tow the teener you'll want one of those full width mud flaps on the back of the sycro!
Maltese Falcon
Perfect fit Marc ! I miss my '86 Carrera powered syncro, but I was well paid for it.
Fun memories in the 500,000 miles I put on it. I need to find my video of the syncro coming through the Big Sur creek biggrin.gif
Marty
aircooledtechguy
beerchug.gif

That is simply awesome Marc!! Congrats!!

PanelBilly
Where do we line up for rides?
mepstein
" I can't even imagine what this engine must feel like in a 914."

I hope to find out in the near future biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 17 2013, 02:56 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 17 2013, 03:37 PM) *

Thank you Marc! There's much more to do but it's been fun so far. I've had a lot of help and advice from the gurus. When I finish it you are most welcome to a ride/drive.

I hear a road trip coming on!

The engine is surprisingly compact for packing such a punch. Here it is getting shipped off to the converter. Check out that beautiful s/s exhaust. It was made by a custom exhaust shop that also does a lot of Porsches near here.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 17 2013, 01:28 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 17 2013, 11:53 AM) *

No downshifting going around corners. 3rd gear is like putting it in Drive. I'll probably have to drop down to 3rd for the steep stuff on the highway because I had a taller 4th put in, but I should still be able to do 65-70 (taller 3rd also).

idea.gif Maybe I'll make a run up to Snoqualmie Pass today just to see.

Well, I was wrong. Made a run over the pass this afternoon and never had to downshift. Crested the pass at 70, with the pedal on the floor. That same stretch requires a downshift to 2nd in a waterboxer. Most of the run up the pass I had to back off to keep it under 80. The best thing about the power is that it brings out the outstanding handling characteristics of the Vanagon. Tight, responsive and predictable. Makes the rolling brick a joy to drive.

Thanks for all the great comments; buses and teeners just seem to go together...bone stock or hot rods. Love this place.
Chris H.
Click to view attachment

Saw this on Pelican....let's take it down a notch Marc...it's only day 1... biggrin.gif

Your engine pic just gave me an idea for how to solve the issue with a couple of the breather hoses for my intake. Sweet! Who made that intake setup for you? Very nice looking. That's harder than it seems to construct and you can't use the stock one, especially in a Vanagon.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 18 2013, 04:32 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Saw this on Pelican....let's take it down a notch Marc...it's only day 1... biggrin.gif

Your engine pic just gave me an idea for how to solve the issue with a couple of the breather hoses for my intake. Sweet! Who made that intake setup for you? Very nice looking. That's harder than it seems to construct and you can't use the stock one, especially in a Vanagon.

av-943.gif Hey, a guy's gotta play!

The intake was done by Rocky Mountain Westy. This was their early version. The tube at the throttle bodies is flattened on the back to provide clearance at the firewall. They do some amazing fabrication of conversion parts and Westy accessories. I've been in their shop and was really impressed with their jig building and attention to detail. If you call them, tell Mike I said hi.
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif One of my all time favorites. Nice to see one completed and so well.
DBCooper
Really impressive van, congrats. After reading this thread I immediately checked all Craigslists within 350 miles for Synchro Westies. I guess they're pretty rare, none here anyway.

Chris H.
I did the SAME THING. There are some on The Samba.

This one seems perfect after further inspection....it has potential if the price is right.....:

Westy no engine

Go for it DB!
KELTY360
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 18 2013, 01:49 PM) *

Really impressive van, congrats. After reading this thread I immediately checked all Craigslists within 350 miles for Synchro Westies. I guess they're pretty rare, none here anyway.

Thanks. I've read they only imported about 1600 Syncro Westies to N. America. Mine is actually a Canadian model so it has some quirks - go figure. shades.gif

I searched The Samba and all the western hot spots on Craigslist: Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, LA, OC, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver and SLC. Took a few months to find what I was looking for; it was in the Bay Area. Be aware that Syncro is spelled without an 'h' when you're searching.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 18 2013, 02:29 PM) *

This one seems perfect after further inspection....it has potential if the price is right.....:

Westy no engine

Go for it DB!

Seam rust is common on the Westies but that's a lot. I think that's a hefty price for a non-running Syncro but that depends on how much work you'd do yourself. Long way to go for a big project.
DBCooper
Yeah, if there's anything I've learned in conversions it's to (don't listen to this if you're a CW) start with the best car you can get. It's already a lot of work to do a conversion, and you double or triple that if the car needs work as well.

When I was young someone gave what's proven to be some of the wisest advice I've ever heard. He told me if you wanted to find the most efficient way to do something, you give that job to the laziest guy in the shop. I've found that to be true. so much so that I've tried to incorporate that into my own life, striving to be as lazy as possible, finding the most efficient way to do things. That and I HATE rust.

I'm thinking it might be easier and cheaper to buy a non-camper Synchro (with sour engines they're pretty cheap) and a Westy interior, put the two together. I'd do the EZ30 engine, though. I really like that motor.

KELTY360
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 18 2013, 03:03 PM) *

Yeah, if there's anything I've learned in conversions it's to (don't listen to this if you're a CW) start with the best car you can get. It's already a lot of work to do a conversion, and you double or triple that if the car needs work as well.

When I was young someone gave what's proven to be some of the wisest advice I've ever heard. He told me if you wanted to find the most efficient way to do something, you give that job to the laziest guy in the shop. I've found that to be true. so much so that I've tried to incorporate that into my own life, striving to be as lazy as possible, finding the most efficient way to do things. That and I HATE rust.

I'm thinking it might be easier and cheaper to buy a non-camper Synchro (with sour engines they're pretty cheap) and a Westy interior, put the two together. I'd do the EZ30 engine, though. I really like that motor.

The guy I worked with on my conversion told me he thinks it's easier to convert a 2wd to a syncro than convert a regular van to a Westy, but he works with syncros all the time. Probably falls under the 'lazy principle'.

If I had it to do over, I might go with the 2.5. because of fuel mileage and relative closeness of HP numbers. I've ridden in a well prepared 2.5 and it was very impressive also. I don't really know what my fuel efficiency will be, but I'll bet the 2.5 would be 20-25% better.
DBCooper
Funny you say that, I just saw a Quantum Synchro wagon in SoCal for $2000, so there are all the parts, too. Unfortunately I also just remembered California's smog rules, and unless it's a diesel I'd need 1975 or earlier. Means it looks like a non-synchro for me. No problem, I can count on one hand the times I've needed 4WD in the last ten years so 2WD should be fine. And looks like a lot cheaper, though not nearly as cool.

That EZ30 engine is s 3 liter six, from the last six or seven years. Nice and compact (only 3/4" longer than a four, 75 lbs heavier), gear-driven cams, more modern, economical, naturally aspirated, and still a lot of torque.

Maltese Falcon

The guy I worked with on my conversion told me he thinks it's easier to convert a 2wd to a syncro than convert a regular van to a Westy, but he works with syncros all the time. Probably falls under the 'lazy principle'.

In converting Vanagons at my shop back when they were abundant, there were many chassis differences between 2 and 4wd. A lot of extra metal welded around the framing, mid-chassis mounted fuel tank + specific fuel filler routing in the R- R quarter. And the wierdest...the 4wd has about a 1/2" shorter wheelbase. I supplied different sets of engine mounts for this reason.
I still see a few syncros around Santa Cruz, Monterey even L.A.
Some are +10s and some need lots of help. Parts can still be sourced, front viscous drives and driveshafts are still around, and transaxles are now being rebuilt by off-road trans shops. Just don't take it to the dealer for alignment !
Marty
KELTY360
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 18 2013, 03:44 PM) *

Funny you say that, I just saw a Quantum Synchro wagon in SoCal for $2000, so there are all the parts, too. Unfortunately I also just remembered California's smog rules, and unless it's a diesel I'd need 1975 or earlier. Means it looks like a non-synchro for me. No problem, I can count on one hand the times I've needed 4WD in the last ten years so 2WD should be fine. And looks like a lot cheaper, though not nearly as cool.

That EZ30 engine is s 3 liter six, from the last six or seven years. Nice and compact (only 3/4" longer than a four, 75 lbs heavier), gear-driven cams, more modern, economical, naturally aspirated, and still a lot of torque.

Nothing wrong with a 2wd Westy. I have one I'm going to be selling. 95% of the roads I've been on, even unpaved forest Service roads, are passable with a 2wd. Considering that a 2wd is ~80% less expensive it makes sense to go that way. There's a lot to be said for that effortless cruise down the road....and up the hills. Way more relaxing when you've got + power.

To the best of my knowledge, the 2.2 and 2.5 are the only Subie/Vanagon conversions certified in CA but I'm not 100% on that info.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 17 2013, 06:02 PM) *

Perfect fit Marc ! I miss my '86 Carrera powered syncro, but I was well paid for it.
Fun memories in the 500,000 miles I put on it. I need to find my video of the syncro coming through the Big Sur creek biggrin.gif
Marty

Hey Marty, have you found that video yet?
Olympic 914
Those SVX engines run good. We had a 97 SVX and it was crazy, 100 mph and only turning around 3300 rpm, with too much left to go. got a big ticket on the D.C beltway with it, put a hurt on that vacation spending. Ha-Ha.
She traded it on a M-B in 2003 and I thought about keeping it for myself, but felt it might make the 914 seem redundant.
Chris H.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 18 2013, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 18 2013, 02:29 PM) *

Westy no engine

Go for it DB!

Seam rust is common on the Westies but that's a lot. I think that's a hefty price for a non-running Syncro but that depends on how much work you'd do yourself. Long way to go for a big project.

Yeah I missed that rust around the door initially....yikes. Too much rot for me. And there's some around the window frames as usual.

I see an SVX conversion on there for $48k!!!!!! Wow. Wouldn't mind just having a weekender or a Carat with an EG33 or EZ30 in it. Probably should work on my half-done teener first....

914forme
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 17 2013, 11:33 PM) *

" I can't even imagine what this engine must feel like in a 914."

I hope to find out in the near future biggrin.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.