Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look what I did, Mega Jolt Light Jr.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I just assembled my DIS MJLJ OMFG. Now I gotta figure out how to use my computer to play with it, and how to get the sensor and wheel mated (Oh Mueller IPB Image ). It will be going on my /6 and I will document so others can copy.
chunger
SWEET! IPB Image IPB Image
Dr Evil
I can assemble anything electronic, but I don't kow crap about computer programming. I have been goofing with this damn thing for the last few hours and I can't even find the damn java -jar mjlj_x.x.x.jar' to start the show. I am in way over my head on this prog4ramming thing. If I could only find a translator (computer to english) IPB Image
gaz914
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Dec 20 2004, 12:27 AM)
I just assembled my DIS MJLJ OMFG. Now I gotta figure out how to use my computer to play with it, and how to get the sensor and wheel mated (Oh Mueller IPB Image ). It will be going on my /6 and I will document so others can copy.

Coooooool!
I just spent the last few days trying to work out what cars in OZ I can get EDIS parts off to do the same thing!

I got the software going OK already IPB Image
Dr Evil
Dude,
I have spent the last three hours fooling with trying to getthe software up and running, but I am a complete novice so the posted directions are not understandable to me. Do you have a resource for how to assemble the folders and get them running. I need like; put this here, click this, see that, make it do this..etc.

My head hurts....its 3am here, I quit for tonight. IPB Image

Oh, welcome to the club Gaz!
gaz914
Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome.

OK, lets try some step-by-step IPB Image (I'm hoping you understand files and folders)

Go to www.java.com.
Click on the yellow rectangle (top right) which starts the software download.
You should be asked if you wish to install "Java Plug-in 1.4.2_06" - say YES.
Follow prompts, etc for the automated install.
After the install (could take some time) you should have a directory called -
"C:\ProgramFiles\Java\j2re1.4.2_06"

Download the [Java Comm] 'zip' file from http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=node/view/6
(click on the link and choose [SAVE]).
A dialog should open up and just save the file anywhere (desktop is good).

if you haven't already got WinZip, download from [HERE]

Run WinZip and open the "Javacomm20-win32.zip" file you just downloaded and [extract] the files to "C:\ProgramFiles\Java"

You should now have a sub-directory named "commapi".

Open the "commapi" directory and find the "comm.jar" file.
Copy (right click-copy) and paste (right click-paste) in the "C:\ProgramFiles\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin" directory.

Open the "commapi" directory and find the "win32comm.dll" file.
Copy (right click-copy) and paste (right click-paste) in the "C:\ProgramFiles\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin" directory.

Open the "commapi" directory again and find the "javax.comm.properties" file.
Copy (right click-copy) and paste (right click-paste) in the "C:\ProgramFiles\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\lib" directory.

Make a directory (I used "C:\MJLJ").

Download the actual MJLJ software ("mjljTune2.0.3.jar") and save in that directory.

Open the "commapi" directory again and find the "comm.jar" file.
Copy (right click-copy) and paste (right click-paste) in the "C:\MJLJ" directory (or whatever you have used).

Open the MJLJ directory and double click the "mjljTune2.0.3.jar" file and all should be IPB Image

Just downloaded and installed as I typed this and works OK on our 2nd PC

Hope that it works for you Mike.

cheers

GAZ
Dr Evil
Thanks GAZ,
Well I got through most of the steps that you posted, but I have a few questions.
1. What is a directory? Is it just a file that I make at the given address i.e. C:\MJLJ. If so, I put all of the things in their perspective folder.
2. I noticed that the software is in a .zip format, not a .jar format. How do you switch the file type to .jar? I looked into this on the MJLJ web site and noticed others were having the same problem, but they knew how to change the name or what ever to rectify it.

Thanks for all of your help. I think that I am close.
Mike
Dr Evil
I figured it out. I changed the program that opens it to javaw, and added.jar to the name. After clicking it it opened. IPB Image

Thanks mate!

Next problem: I have only USB ports and I have an adaptor. How do I get the program to use the USB instead of a serial port? I think that many were having this same problem and there may be some info on the web site. I know that they said to test using hyperterminal (?), no idea.
Mueller
sure I can help you out, let me know how you want it mounted...with Dave Hunts method (which is pretty damn slick!!!! ) you need to cut a slot into the fan housing, not too sure if he made a template or not for the fan and the location of the missing tooth

for my install, the back side of the fan housing needs to be ground down a bit to clear the VR sensor

Do you have a trigger wheel yet and the sensor?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 20 2004, 10:01 AM)
sure I can help you out, let me know how you want it mounted...with Dave Hunts method (which is pretty damn slick!!!! ) you need to cut a slot into the fan housing, not too sure if he made a template or not for the fan and the location of the missing tooth

for my install, the back side of the fan housing needs to be ground down a bit to clear the VR sensor

Do you have a trigger wheel yet and the sensor?

hes doing a six not a type4 IPB Image
Mueller
opps....my bad....I "forgot" about that other motor, LOL

I'm sure we can work something out, lemme know IPB Image
gaz914
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Dec 20 2004, 08:53 AM)
I figured it out. I changed the program that opens it to javaw, and added.jar to the name. After clicking it it opened. IPB Image

Thanks mate!

Next problem: I have only USB ports and I have an adaptor. How do I get the program to use the USB instead of a serial port? I think that many were having this same problem and there may be some info on the web site. I know that they said to test using hyperterminal (?), no idea.

Try some tips from [HERE]

Hyperterminal can usually address more "ports" than some software, therefore if if you start Hyperterminal and 'connect' via the usb/serial port then, although you may not get anything 'useful', you should be able to see some sort of data from the MJLJ (characters on the screen). This 'proves' the cables, etc are correct.

Not far now...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.