Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checking Potential Intrest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mblizzard
I came up with the idea to develope some quick release hold downs for the engine deck lid after taking mine off 100s of times and struggling with the bolt and alignment. We are developing these and while they are still in the prototype stage, I thought I would see if there was interest from others in these.

They will be 3D printed items that will be more functional than pretty. Thinking a set will be between $10 and $15.

If there is enough interest we will run some for a test group and proceed from there. Let me know what you think.

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Possibly. Probably. I'll be watching. I like the idea.
CptTripps
Hell yeah!

I think for $20 you'd have a winner. You won't retire for it, but you'll sell enough to pay for the Dev.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 19 2013, 06:04 PM) *

Hell yeah!

I think for $20 you'd have a winner. You won't retire for it, but you'll sell enough to pay for the Dev.

Doug - thanks for the response. I will make sure I send a pair to you for testing. Will pick a couple of other people that show interest to be sure we get it right.

Not trying to get rich but I thought it was a reasonable idea that could be useful to others and used to forward some of our other ideas.
Chris H.
In for a set.
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 19 2013, 05:36 PM) *

I came up with the idea to develope some quick release hold downs for the engine deck lid after taking mine off 100s of times and struggling with the bolt and alignment. We are developing these and while they are still in the prototype stage, I thought I would see if there was interest from others in these.

They will be 3D printed items that will be more functional than pretty. Thinking a set will be between $10 and $15.

If there is enough interest we will run some for a test group and proceed from there. Let me know what you think.

Click to view attachment

yup go with it
ben*james
I'm in.....I'm in.....I'm in......that is awesome! Send me a Paypal request ASAP.

Mike Bellis
Need more info...

Looks like a cam/lever.

Does this work with the stock latch?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 19 2013, 08:02 PM) *

Need more info...

Looks like a cam/lever.

Should be a straight replacement for the stock bolts. Lever is big enough so that you can easily start the bolt that is fixed in the lever with one hand while holding the lid. The cam action allows you to lock it in place quickly and to loosen it up with one hand for repositioning the position of the deck lid. No tools required. In my tests it makes it more practicable to remove the engine deck lid for doing any work other than checking the oil than to try and work around it.
914forme
So you still have to notch the engine lid hinge bracket to allow you to remove it, correct?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 20 2013, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 19 2013, 08:02 PM) *

Need more info...

Looks like a cam/lever.

Should be a straight replacement for the stock bolts. Lever is big enough so that you can easily start the bolt that is fixed in the lever with one hand while holding the lid. The cam action allows you to lock it in place quickly and to loosen it up with one hand for repositioning the position of the deck lid. No tools required. In my tests it makes it more practicable to remove the engine deck lid for doing any work other than checking the oil than to try and work around it.

OK, I'm in... smile.gif
FourBlades

I am in for two sets! piratenanner.gif

John
zymurgist
In for 1 set.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 20 2013, 06:13 AM) *

So you still have to notch the engine lid hinge bracket to allow you to remove it, correct?

You could do that but with the bolt fixed in the lever, you can unscrew it out of the mounting bracket on the firewall. Looked at doing a quick release type of application but the angle and access limitations indicated to us that the lever approach would be easier and the most widely accepted. Of course notching the hinge on the deck lid would simplify the removal even more but we wanted to stick with something that did not automaticity require a modification.

If you did notch the hinge it would be a 10 second removal and install process.
Mblizzard
For those who showed interest, I will PM you the info next week. Just have to make a few checks on the last update to be sure they work as intended.
sixnotfour
Whenever I need more elbow room I just tie a string from the engine lid forward to the license plate .holding the lid open at max opening, anymore than that I pull the engine..what youre offering still needs to be unscrewed, unless you notch like you have said..

That being said;
http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section11/gn927a/index.html
tadink
Can you show a pic of the thing being used? I'm having a hard time figuring out where this goes exactly.....td
c12croft
If made thoughtfully and attractive, I'm all in.
Which, I'm sure it will be with your skill set.
C12croft@aol.com
Mblizzard
Will post pictures in the afternoon.
Mblizzard
Ok I did not have time to snap pictures with the lid on the car but below is a picture of how they fit in the deck lid. These are blue because my car is blue. We can provide black, white, red, and grey. They fit nicely in the existing space with no modification and the cap screw allows easy removal if the lever ever breaks.

Click to view attachment

Here is a close up of them. The lever is 2.5 inches long and wide enough to not kill your hands while closing it.

Click to view attachment

I will get some pictures with it installed tonight.
I'm probably going to want to be in on this....
1 pair in Red..Thanks Mike!
Kansas 914
Yep - I am in.

I routinely remove my deck lid to do just about anything in the engine compartment. Plus I have a rain tray which reduces the available working room - so I remove the deck lid. I have slotted the hinges but this really makes sense to me.

Cheers!
Mblizzard
All right then! Looks like this will work. I will PM everyone that showed interest in the next few days with details. Think about if you want a specific color (grey is default. Options are red, blue and black). If you really want to go out there we can do glow in the dark! These will also come with black nylon washers. Will come with black screws standard but stainless and metric blue are options.

Was a little surprised at the positive response. So to be clear, it may take us a few days to ramp it up but we will get them going quickly.
rmital
I'm in too....two sets
d914
sure sounds good!!
Mblizzard
Install photos.

Ready to close

Click to view attachment

Closed

Click to view attachment

From bottom

Click to view attachment

Better picture of installed levers.

Click to view attachment
nihil44
Mike

2 sets please - one shade of gey

David
Rleog
One set in blue, thanks.
c12croft
I'm definitely interested in any reproduction 914 part of this quality. Please keep me in mind. Thank you.
Tim C
C12croft@aol.com
michael7810
Add me to the list for 1 set of grey. Thanks
ThePaintedMan
Gah! I owe the world far too much money as it is, but if you have any room for future orders, I'll take a set Mike. Great idea buddy, something no one has come up with yet!
nein14
I'm interested in a set
Mblizzard
Production kicks into high gear.

Click to view attachment
shawn914
One set.
Red.
Thanks
Shawn
wndsrfr
Two sets.
Black
John
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 21 2013, 09:22 PM) *

Install photos.

Ready to close

Click to view attachment

Closed

Click to view attachment

From bottom

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As a note, the levers will also close in a position that is parallel to the firewall if you dislike how far they stick out.
chads74
I'll take a red set

Chad
aharder
I'm in for a set biggrin.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 24 2013, 04:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 21 2013, 09:22 PM) *

Install photos.

Ready to close

Click to view attachment

Closed

Click to view attachment

From bottom

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As a note, the levers will also close in a position that is parallel to the firewall if you dislike how far they stick out.

Here is a photo of the lever closed parallel to the firewall.

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
Looks great. If you have any extras, or on your next run, I would love to try them out. I have yet to install my engine lid, so I can only imagine dealing with the small opening and the lid flopping around on your elbow or shoulder.

Clark
lonewolfe
I'll take a set in grey.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 24 2013, 11:39 AM) *

Looks great. If you have any extras, or on your next run, I would love to try them out. I have yet to install my engine lid, so I can only imagine dealing with the small opening and the lid flopping around on your elbow or shoulder.

Clark

Clark you are my size and there is no way much of you or me fits into that opening! The cool thing about these is that we can print them on demand. So anytime you are ready. I am going to post some pictures of the slotting of the deck lid hinge that makes removing the lid with these super easy!
nein14
Payment sent Thanks!
Mblizzard
Cranking out the reds and blues!

Click to view attachment
Rothbard
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 24 2013, 05:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'll take a black set.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Rothbard @ Oct 24 2013, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 24 2013, 05:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'll take a black set.

We are waiting on getting in some more black feedstock, black ones will be a few days out. I will send you the info.
914coop
I'll take a set in black
jim_hoyland
Great idea ! smile.gif I'll buy a red set
Mblizzard
Just as a note for everyone, the plastic used for these parts (PLA) comes from renewable plant resources not from petroleum. So you get a little green with your levers regardless of the color you pick.
Mblizzard
All - thanks for the positive response to this idea. A large portion of the orders are shipping today! Sorry for the delay but we were not expecting such a larger response.

Please let us know if there is there is anything else you may need with the levers. We had one request for yellow which we can do but would need a few more orders to justify ordering the material.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.