Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glove box lid removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Was going to re glue the edges of the material on the glove box lid, and so was going to take it off for better, access, and I have the two screws out, but before I rip into it further, not exactly sure how to get it out/off at this point?
PanelBilly
I'd try to re-glue the edges without removing it
r_towle
Take off the strap that holds the glove box and remove that first.
All from behind.

Then the door goes out the back.
pneuhyde
All good advise, just wish I hadn't learned it by trial and error YESTERDAY ohmy.gif

But while we are on the subject, I am trying to go a little further and want to remove the padded dash top for replacement and it has been a real pain so far. I got the middle three nuts by removing the radio and standing on my head underneath the dash. Then OMG, the nuts in the corner of each end caused a last minute run to the parts store because I could not find my swivel adapter for my socket wrench and my fingers refused to kink and bend in the direction I told them to go.
Now I have two roadblocks left.
1) I don't know how I will ever get some of the nuts started again
and
2) It may not matter because it looks like there are at least two more nuts holding the dash top on. I know about them because I pulled my gage face plate out a little (with gages still attached) and I think there are nuts inside a piece of metal channel at the very back of this area, where my dash still seems to be attached.
I have know idea what kind of socket wrench will fit inside the channel ?

Any Ideas ?
SLITS
#2 ... a thin open end wrench .. two nuts at the forward edge (windshield) of the instrument cluster hood.
Brian_Boss
Given how much fun it is to get the springs back on (the ones on either side that hold the door open or closed), I would pull the door toward you as far as you can and do you gluing while hoping the springs stay attached.
Mblizzard
In the few dashes that I have removed I have found the nuts were not very tight. I used a long screw driver to start the nuts turning and it went pretty easy. Of course yours will be so tight that this suggestion will seem silly but try it just in case. I cussed and worked for an hour to get at one nut only to find it was lose!
pneuhyde
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 21 2013, 05:50 AM) *

#2 ... a thin open end wrench .. two nuts at the forward edge (windshield) of the instrument cluster hood.

Thanks. I did find a pic in an old thread that showed them but it was still a mystery what kind of a wrench would work. It also confirmed to drop the steering column for better access.

Steve
pneuhyde
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 21 2013, 08:35 AM) *

In the few dashes that I have removed I have found the nuts were not very tight. I used a long screw driver to start the nuts turning and it went pretty easy. Of course yours will be so tight that this suggestion will seem silly but try it just in case. I cussed and worked for an hour to get at one nut only to find it was lose!

Yes to not very tight, which did help and I did consider the screw driver and hammer approach. smile.gif
dlkawashima
Harbor Freight sells finger ratchets in a pack of 3. Not very good quality but good enough for a one-time job. Harbor also sells a small swivel head ratchet. At a bike store you can buy a thin cone wrench that will help get at those two hard to reach nuts behind the gauges.

As for the glove box, I would follow the advice previously offered and try to do the fix without removing the lid. Those springs are as bad as the two nuts behind the gauges in difficulty factor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.