Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: QUESTIONS> master cylinder wires and directionals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
what to do.

my directionals are not blinking and I think it is related.

see post #7
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...hl=directionals

found my answer - brown/white gets hooked up to spade
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...+cylinder+wires
Mike Bellis
One of your brown wire has a white or yellow stripe. Connect this one. The other is just a ground.
bulitt
Darling Dave says- "The wires should be brown/white, and plain brown.

Plain brown is always ground in these cars. Always--unless some previous mechanic or owner started replacing wires.

The original brake warning switch had two spade terminals on it. One of the two wires plugged into each of them. Some later switches only have the one terminal. The brown/white gets plugged into that; the ground is actually provided through the body of the master cylinder in those cases.

The rubber cover is covering the reset button. You may find that the brake warning light starts blinking when you plug that wire in (and the key is on). Just push the button and the light should go out--if the handbrake is not on.

Tape up the brown wire so it's out of the way. It can touch the chassis, because both the wire and the chassis are at ground. But don't cut it out because you may eventually replace the switch for the two-pin style somewhere down the road."
jimkelly
right now I am waiting on 7.5 amp fuses to arrive for the first 4 slots in my fuse box, so they currently empty, so no headlights at the moment.

my parking lights all come on, and my hazards work/blink.

but my directional lights comes on but stay on solid, no blinking.

could be a relay on my fuse box?

does ignition key need to be turned for directional to blink?

a good bowlsby for thiose that have not yet stumbled upon it
https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
IPB Image
bulitt
Jim- This flasher circuit was obviously designed by a very intelligent German fellow after way to many brewski's. Check this thread out. You may have a bad primary flasher relay.

Flasher secret decoder
JeffBowlsby
You can always get the correct MC switch for your car. 1-pole or 2-pole, no monkey business.
jimkelly
ok - I thought that MAYBE my ignition key needed to be in and switched on, for directionals to flash and for brake lights to light when brake peddle is pushed.

so I connected battery, put key in and switched it on, and YES, directionals and brake lights both worked.

>>> EXCEPT THAT when I popped headlights UP, only right directional would flash, driver side front light would stay lite but not flash. yet rear light blinks and dash lights blink (both arrows I think but this is an old problem)

note: I do not have any fuses in first 4 fuse box slots, so headlights did not come on. I assume this could have effected directionals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqDC7yq6L24
Tom
Jim,
Is your flasher/emergency relay clicking when the left side is selected? If the relay isn't clicking, the light won't change state, on/off. Maybe there is a wiring error between the turn signal stalk and the relay.
You could temporarily use 10 amp fuses in those first 4 slots without causing any damage. You can but ATC type fuses at any parts store.
Tom
jimkelly
yes and the rear driver side light is blinking, just not front.

I assume the driver side front and rear lights are on same relay?

jim
Tom
That's good news. So the next place I would check is the wiring to the left turn signal and the sockets. Maybe compare them to the right side as to where the grounds and signal wires are hooked up. Front/rear are on same relay, so something is amiss in the left side front.
Tom
toolguy
Remember about the Euro parking light circuit on all our cars. . If you have the key off and try the turn lights, they will light but not flash. . for parking on small streets at night as a warning light for other cars. .

I had a problem once when I put all new bulbs in the front outside fixtures. . the dash indicators would both blink at the same time, instead of just the side I was turning. . . but the outside lights worked correctly. . turned out it was caused by the outside bulb wattage being not exactly as what the factory prescribed. . . . once I put the old bulbs back it , everything worked correctly. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.