Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Underbody sway bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Is there some trick to get the underbody sway bar back into the bushings?
The geometry says no way.....

I had to take off a control arm to heat up the nut on the ball joint so I could get it off.

Now I cannot get the control arm in the cross member with the sway bar in the bushing, and if I take out the sway bar, and put the control arm in the cross member, I cannot possibly bend the sway bar enough to get it to line up with the bushing.
jimkelly
pic
r_towle
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 24 2013, 08:03 PM) *

pic

Pretty, now put it in and let me know how that goes.
carr914
I hope someone has an Answer as I'm close to putting mine on and after looking at it, I came to the same conclusion - How the Fuch is this going on?
toolguy
Push one side through its bushing further, then the other side will slide in. .
Jeff Hail
It can be done in the car. Suspension at full droop. Use soapy water or glycerine on the outer bushings. Install one side about an inch into the control arm bushing and then the other side. Keep the middle of the bar down off the crossmember brackets. Wiggle, push, rubber mallet towards the front of the car. It will go in. When the veins in your forehead start coming out .. you are almost there.Then push the bar upward the into the brackets on the crossmember and tighten everything up.
carr914
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Oct 24 2013, 11:59 PM) *

When the veins in your forehead start coming out .. you are almost there.

Gotcha!
balljoint
Some red wine and Sade will also help.
jimkelly
pic is not mine - but for reference only.

it seemed to me that it needs to be fully assembled before install and installed as one assy - but someone above says no.

look forward to seeing how you like it.

jim
r_towle
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Oct 24 2013, 11:59 PM) *

It can be done in the car. Suspension at full droop. Use soapy water or glycerine on the outer bushings. Install one side about an inch into the control arm bushing and then the other side. Keep the middle of the bar down off the crossmember brackets. Wiggle, push, rubber mallet towards the front of the car. It will go in. When the veins in your forehead start coming out .. you are almost there.Then push the bar upward the into the brackets on the crossmember and tighten everything up.

All done.

So, lots of lube.
Push one bar about 2 inches past the end of the bushing.
Keep the sway bar cross bar brackets in the correct orientation....you will see what I mean...
Get a long screw driver and from below lever the sway bar end against the strut...
It will just about make it.

I set everything up, tried a few times, wrote my two threads on here and PP, had some food...went out a forced the damn thing in place.

My arms were tired at the end of it..

rich
r_towle
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 25 2013, 07:29 AM) *

pic is not mine - but for reference only.

it seemed to me that it needs to be fully assembled before install and installed as one assy - but someone above says no.

look forward to seeing how you like it.

jim

I don't see why with the proper lift, like a motorcycle lift, you could not do the whole thing at once...
Then its 8 or 10 fasteners...done.

If I was at the point you are TC....I would aim for that...clean and assembled out of the car, then get George over there for a bit and move the whole thing in one shot.

That Sway bar makes it worth the effort to assemble it outside the car, where you have room to wiggle everything.

Really stupid design.
Why change a good design of the through body bar with what looks like a total afterthought....and its not adjustable...and its damn near impossible to install.

Dave_Darling
Because it was cheaper to build. Just bend up the bar, weld the brackets onto the A-arms, and a couple of bushings, and that's it.

Through-body setups require the bar (straight, but with machined ends), plus the lever arms (forget the actual name) plus the drop-links, with bushings at each end. plus the A-arm bracket, plus cutting a hole in the car, plus welding on the nuts to retain the bar, plus the bushing holders...

It's a bit more of a pain to install, but it takes less time when initially assembling on the factory production line. So it's much cheaper in the end.

--DD
balljoint
Wait wait wait!

Does this mean the flares are all done?
r_towle
QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 25 2013, 07:33 PM) *

Wait wait wait!

Does this mean the flares are all done?

911 getting it ready for a rally tomorrow...

And no, I promise I have not changed it since the SCROT pictures...though I did put the cover back on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.