Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feeler for my Daily...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
'73-914kid
Much to the chagrin of my dad and 914 buddies, I still have a fascination with 911's, and after bringing my girlfriend to see the 911 that has been catching my attention on and off for the past year or so, her parents decided that they would allow her to ride in a 911 as opposed to my 914..
Too many things adding up that screams get the 911..

So, for that reason, I am just gonna put a feeler out there for my car right now.. If there is serious interest, I might consider parting with it at this point.

So, here's the list of stuff on the car.. (I feel like this list gets exponentially longer every time I post the car.)
The car was an original '73-1.7 Black car, and was modified beyond stock before I bought it.

Body:
Fresh paint. Much of the car was taken down to bare metal and re-massaged with as limited amounts of filler possible and painted with DUPONT single stage Adriatic Blue. The trunks and engine bay still retain the original black, however, doorjambs were painted blue as well.

Camp914 Targa bar vinyl was installed on the car post-paint.

All new seals and rubber pieces have been installed on the car from 914rubber or oem Porsche parts. The car leaks a very minimal amount of water only when sitting still.

My dad and I installed a roll bar and door bars in the car when we built it. I would call it an "Engman long kit on steroids" as it performs a similar action.

Brakes:
rebuilt calipers font and rear. Fronts are Volvo 240 series 4 piston calipers, rears are stock 914. Both have fresh pads and rotors. The front rotors are Coleman racing circle track rotors. Easy and cheap to replace.
-19mm Master cylinder and adjustable proportioning valve inside the car at the base of the firewall. The car STOPS hard without any drama.

Interior:
Brand new carpet kit from 914ap.com, including carpeting on the firewall. FatMat was installed on the firewall and on as many surfaces as possible to deaden sound. It has truly made the car comfortable to drive. FatMat was also installed on the targa top underneath a new headliner to remove the acoustic resonance the fiberglass top produced. The dash was recovered in heavy felt 917 style recently.

Car will come with Scheel Mann seats. These are by far the single most comfortable high bolster seats I've ever sat in while driving a 914. The gas pedal is a D-Zug RSR pedal, which is also more comfortable on the foot when driving long distances.

Gauges were all rebuilt be the late Al Garcia with LED's. They look awesome, and are birght as hell. (Part of me doesn't want to sell the car with these as they were a Highschool graduation present to me from him way back when.. A deal may need to be reached in regards to the gauges)
Brand new autometer monster tach matches the speedo and gas gauges, and the custom center console contains an oil pressure, oil temperature, and cylinder head temp gauge.

The center console contains two speakers and the car will maintain the SONY Xplod stereo that is in it at the moment.

The momo prototipo will not be included in the sale of the car if it gets to that point.

I spend long amounts of time in the car, and the interior reflects that in a positive way. It is clean and not overdone, but extremely comfortable.

Suspension:
The suspension was all rebuilt when I built the car 5 years ago. Delrin rear trailing arm bushings, and elephant racing fronts. Bilstein HD struts all around, and 180lb rear springs with 22mm front TB's up front. Stock sway bar with adjustable downlinks.

Wheels:
15x8 and 15x6 fuchs will be what the car is sold with. Both wheels have brand new tires installed on them.

Powertrain:
The engine is a mag case 2.7 RS spec 6. The cas was shufflepinned, case saved, and brought back to 0-0 on the mains. It has S cams, and 40 IDA carbs. The motor runs awesome and pulls super hard. It's definitely the fastest 914 I've ever driven. Spins to 7200 RPM with ease and sounds great doing it. 964 oil filter console, oil pump, updated chain tensioners, you get the idea.

The entire plumbing system was redone in -12 and -16 Stainless braided lines, and the oil tank (factory -6 tank) was refinished and is perfectly cleaned.

The motor uses an external cooler up front. It's a Benz diesel cooler with -AN fittings welded on. I have yet to see any oil temperature above 190 sitting in socal traffic on a hot day.

The exhaust is the factory -6 heat exchangers. They are in great shape, and the heater works awesome. The heat exchangers are coupled to a Bischoff Stainless muffler. I polished it 2 months ago and it is gaining that wonderful golden/blue color that stainless exhaust systems get.

Gearbox will be a fresh side-shift box, with brand new CV joints, through new FAG wheel bearings.

I suppose that's mostly it for now.. I'll try to drum up as many pictures as possible of specific parts..

Right now, I feel like $26,500 would be where the value of the car sits.. If I'm way out of line on this, please understand this is just a feeler add and I'm not set to sell it, but I would appreciate constructive criticism on the value of the car.
Any questions, send me a PM.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I'll have more photos this evening once I brave the weather and walk out to the parking structure...
matthepcat
What a beauty!

I would buy it, if I was not also looking to cross over to the dark side of tail draggers.

As for price, considering the freshness of paint and engine work would tell me your price is not outrageous
JmuRiz
All those details point to a car near $30k in my opinion. Inspection would be needed , but top notch items seem to have been used.

Would you mind showing you oil cooler setup?
I was thinking of an old MB cooler as well.
bcheney
This car looks like a tremendous machine. The details described sound top notch. However, high resolution pics of all the important areas of the car are necessary for buyers not close enough stop by to see it in person. The price seems fair as I have completed a conversion myself and know just how much time, money and labor is required to to a quality job. That said, the -6 "conversion market" is not quite as strong as the -6 "orignal market" and you will need to be patient or have some luck on your side to find the right buyer quickly. I love the look of your car and can't wait to see more pics.
Randy_L
PM Sent.
'73-914kid
Here are two crappy cell phone pics of the interior and engine bay.. I left my Nikon battery charger at home conveniently... mad.gif

Image quality credit goes to Sir Andy

IPB Image
IPB Image
pete000
Love the color, put it on Bring a Trailer and I bet it goes fast at your price point !

Good Luck ! beerchug.gif
oldschool
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Oct 30 2013, 02:49 PM) *

Here are two crappy cell phone pics of the interior and engine bay.. I left my Nikon battery charger at home conveniently... mad.gif

Image quality credit goes to Sir Andy

IPB Image
IPB Image

Here we go again lol-2.gif ...I almost traded 911S the other day.
Nimrod
I'm in. Can I come see it? Ill pm you.
earossi
PM sent. Please advise.
RFoulds
Ask $26500. that sounds a little high. Nothing lower than $22k for final price though.
rhodyguy
WTF.gif . foul. dry.gif 15 yd penalty. uncool. rules...
sean_v8_914
go for it. its only a car. 911, elise, cortina, super seven, 328gtb z06, 240z, s2000, mr2, rx7, bb512, 951, 996, 240sx, fair laDY, SILVIA...i want to try out as many different cars as I can. i used to think I would remember them all.
try all the flavors life has to offer.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 4 2013, 08:22 PM) *

WTF.gif . foul. dry.gif 15 yd penalty. uncool. rules...

If I'm way out of line on this, please understand this is just a feeler add and I'm not set to sell it, but I would appreciate constructive criticism on the value of the car.

I agree with RFoulds, 26K seems high since there are some paint and other details that remain undone. The roll cage would be a deal killer for me. I would not want one in a street car. Having some pricey oem parts is a real positive. GLWTS
boxstr
Beautiful car.."!! The down sides to this is the color change, the fact that the trunks and other spaces were not painted body color. If you are selling the car with anything different then I would add them to the car now! Let a buyer see exactly what it is going to look like when they take delivery. Take care of any little TLC items now. At the price you have it listed at, a buyer doesn't want a project, or a car that needs work. I would get the car looking a nice and complete as you can. You are on the higher end of a 6 conversion. It should be finished and ready to go. If not, adjust your price to sell.
Good luck ..
Craig at CAMP
tangerinetea
is your car still for sale?
Bobby Smith
I respectfully disagree with Craig's statement that the price is on the high side of a six conversion. Condition and the components (engine tranny etc.) mean everything. Anyone that has built a high quality conversion six knows the cost and believe me it's WAY north of $30. My 74 3.2 was built by Greg Fordahl. It has the "best of the best" components. The build ran nearly $70,000 not including the rust free donor car.
Just my 2 cents.Click to view attachment
'73-914kid
Wow, I haven't checked this post for a long time..didn't even realize people were still posting on it..

I have kind of just been enjoying driving a finished car I guess.. So with that in mind, I haven't been trying very hard to put it out there for sale, unless the right 911 comes around, or unless someone offers my a 911 in trade...

My problem is that I have an emotional connection to the car, hence why this was just a feeler add. Now that I'm off from school for Christmas break, I get to do the little things I've been wanting to for a while, but for those that are interested, It's kind of just a wait and see situation for me.

The car is pretty much finished though. I know that to some, the trunks being satin black instead of blue is considered "unfinished" but it is what it is. It was painted as a daily driver, and removing the gas tanks, heater controls, fresh air blower, and stuff of that nature to paint it blue was not in the equation.

I appreciate all the comments though, that was the point of this thread.. get people's opinions on my car before deciding to keep it or sell it.

I still don't know what I want to do yet..
matthepcat
As a stranger that you don't know, I say keep it. Hard work and money into this is worth enjoying for at least a few more years. Guarantee you will miss it if it's gone.

914z
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Oct 28 2013, 12:02 PM) *

Much to the chagrin of my dad and 914 buddies, I still have a fascination with 911's, and after bringing my girlfriend to see the 911 that has been catching my attention on and off for the past year or so, her parents decided that they would allow her to ride in a 911 as opposed to my 914..
Too many things adding up that screams get the 911..

So, for that reason, I am just gonna put a feeler out there for my car right now.. If there is serious interest, I might consider parting with it at this point.

So, here's the list of stuff on the car.. (I feel like this list gets exponentially longer every time I post the car.)
The car was an original '73-1.7 Black car, and was modified beyond stock before I bought it.

Body:
Fresh paint. Much of the car was taken down to bare metal and re-massaged with as limited amounts of filler possible and painted with DUPONT single stage Adriatic Blue. The trunks and engine bay still retain the original black, however, doorjambs were painted blue as well.

Camp914 Targa bar vinyl was installed on the car post-paint.

All new seals and rubber pieces have been installed on the car from 914rubber or oem Porsche parts. The car leaks a very minimal amount of water only when sitting still.

My dad and I installed a roll bar and door bars in the car when we built it. I would call it an "Engman long kit on steroids" as it performs a similar action.

Brakes:
rebuilt calipers font and rear. Fronts are Volvo 240 series 4 piston calipers, rears are stock 914. Both have fresh pads and rotors. The front rotors are Coleman racing circle track rotors. Easy and cheap to replace.
-19mm Master cylinder and adjustable proportioning valve inside the car at the base of the firewall. The car STOPS hard without any drama.

Interior:
Brand new carpet kit from 914ap.com, including carpeting on the firewall. FatMat was installed on the firewall and on as many surfaces as possible to deaden sound. It has truly made the car comfortable to drive. FatMat was also installed on the targa top underneath a new headliner to remove the acoustic resonance the fiberglass top produced. The dash was recovered in heavy felt 917 style recently.

Car will come with Scheel Mann seats. These are by far the single most comfortable high bolster seats I've ever sat in while driving a 914. The gas pedal is a D-Zug RSR pedal, which is also more comfortable on the foot when driving long distances.

Gauges were all rebuilt be the late Al Garcia with LED's. They look awesome, and are birght as hell. (Part of me doesn't want to sell the car with these as they were a Highschool graduation present to me from him way back when.. A deal may need to be reached in regards to the gauges)
Brand new autometer monster tach matches the speedo and gas gauges, and the custom center console contains an oil pressure, oil temperature, and cylinder head temp gauge.

The center console contains two speakers and the car will maintain the SONY Xplod stereo that is in it at the moment.

The momo prototipo will not be included in the sale of the car if it gets to that point.

I spend long amounts of time in the car, and the interior reflects that in a positive way. It is clean and not overdone, but extremely comfortable.

Suspension:
The suspension was all rebuilt when I built the car 5 years ago. Delrin rear trailing arm bushings, and elephant racing fronts. Bilstein HD struts all around, and 180lb rear springs with 22mm front TB's up front. Stock sway bar with adjustable downlinks.

Wheels:
15x8 and 15x6 fuchs will be what the car is sold with. Both wheels have brand new tires installed on them.

Powertrain:
The engine is a mag case 2.7 RS spec 6. The cas was shufflepinned, case saved, and brought back to 0-0 on the mains. It has S cams, and 40 IDA carbs. The motor runs awesome and pulls super hard. It's definitely the fastest 914 I've ever driven. Spins to 7200 RPM with ease and sounds great doing it. 964 oil filter console, oil pump, updated chain tensioners, you get the idea.

The entire plumbing system was redone in -12 and -16 Stainless braided lines, and the oil tank (factory -6 tank) was refinished and is perfectly cleaned.

The motor uses an external cooler up front. It's a Benz diesel cooler with -AN fittings welded on. I have yet to see any oil temperature above 190 sitting in socal traffic on a hot day.

The exhaust is the factory -6 heat exchangers. They are in great shape, and the heater works awesome. The heat exchangers are coupled to a Bischoff Stainless muffler. I polished it 2 months ago and it is gaining that wonderful golden/blue color that stainless exhaust systems get.

Gearbox will be a fresh side-shift box, with brand new CV joints, through new FAG wheel bearings.

I suppose that's mostly it for now.. I'll try to drum up as many pictures as possible of specific parts..

Right now, I feel like $26,500 would be where the value of the car sits.. If I'm way out of line on this, please understand this is just a feeler add and I'm not set to sell it, but I would appreciate constructive criticism on the value of the car.
Any questions, send me a PM.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I'll have more photos this evening once I brave the weather and walk out to the parking structure...

Still up for sale? When is the next Irvine Coffee and Cars and will you be there?
'73-914kid
I'll be at the Irvine Cars and Coffee this coming Saturday. If a true buyer for the car turns up, and I could manage the 911, I would consider letting it go.

We can talk at cars and coffee if you'd like.
carr914
QUOTE(Bobby Smith @ Dec 18 2013, 04:58 PM) *

I respectfully disagree with Craig's statement that the price is on the high side of a six conversion. Condition and the components (engine tranny etc.) mean everything. Anyone that has built a high quality conversion six knows the cost and believe me it's WAY north of $30. My 74 3.2 was built by Greg Fordahl. It has the "best of the best" components. The build ran nearly $70,000 not including the rust free donor car.

Cost to Build & Money Received when Sold are Two Way Different Things! The market is Soft on Conversions (of all Types, not just 914-6s - LS Engine swaps into other cars are Solt too)
billh1963
I hope it sells for the asking price! smile.gif
Bobby Smith
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 2 2014, 04:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Bobby Smith @ Dec 18 2013, 04:58 PM) *

Cost to Build & Money Received when Sold are Two Way Different Things! The market is Soft on Conversions (of all Types, not just 914-6s - LS Engine swaps into other cars are Solt too)

I totally agree. I did not pay for my build. I bought it already done for less than the original build. I have a standing offer for $30K. The buyers are out there for nice conversions. I've owned 2 original 6's and my conversion 3.2 6 literally blows them away but obviously does not have the "collector" value.
carr914
I've gotten some nasty eMails about my comment!

1st of all I hope Ethan gets what he wants!

2nd, I love Conversions, But haven't made any monet selling them

3rd, if you don't have anything better to do than send me eMails regarding my Opinion - Fuch Off!
'73-914kid
I've been dealing with cars for long enough to know that you pretty much never get back out what you spend on them. I took no offense with Carr's comments, so get off his back.

I honestly wish this thread would die already, you people keep bringing it up.. everytime it gets bumped, I start thinking about selling it again. I kind of wish it would fall to the second page and stay there...permanently.
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 3 2014, 05:43 PM) *

I've gotten some nasty eMails about my comment!

1st of all I hope Ethan gets what he wants!

2nd, I love Conversions, But haven't made any monet selling them

3rd, if you don't have anything better to do than send me eMails regarding my Opinion - Fuch Off!

Way to go, I need a good laugh. #3 tell it like it is -smile.gif. Reminds me just a few days ago.. I was standing for a cup at Starbucks. Line was close to the door, a 20-30 year old bumps into me hard to and then says...excuse me. I bumped him back and and say the same - excuse me, he says do you want to take this outside. I responded, I'm standing here - how about right here.
Some times, you gotta stand your ground. ...he walks off.
Cracker
I agree with this assessment. I've never been a fan of "feeler" ads...either sell it or not. To post, "if the right..." sounds hokey. Contrary to popular belief, "uncommitted sales ads" do not create/drive demand (or inspire buyers to "jump") - enthusiasts are generally too smart for that ploy. Best wishes - the car looks like a decent driver.

PS: ANY cage on a street car is very controversial...I love the affect it has on a 914 chassis but the safety (non-helmet) is a big turn-off for most. Tough call...

Cracker

[/quote]
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.