Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel gauge Ohm range
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
I need to buy one of the VDO fuel level gauges for the 914 and there are 3 Ohm range options. Who knows which one is the correct one for the stock sending unit?
Options:
0-90
10-180
73-10

Thanks!
Mike Bellis
It's 0-70 ohm

The Chrysler is the closest but will read backwards. I once was able to flip the element in the sender and make it work well enough.
dfelz
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 3 2013, 08:57 PM) *

It's 0-70 ohm

The Chrysler is the closest but will read backwards. I once was able to flip the element in the sender and make it work well enough.

Thanks mike. I think I will just 3D print a new 80mm housing that will mount and display just the stock gauge level unit. Will actually be cheaper that buying a new VDO unit... To the drawing board! smash.gif
914forme
I run one confused24.gif

VDO Fuel guage for VW sendors

or

CIP1

or VDO themselves

Make it easy on yourself.
dfelz
Well like i said, i went ahead and 3D printed my own holder, and am very happy with it! The lettering is difficult for the printer, and since the lid is a removable part i will continue to print other versions until i get one that looks the best. But for now, this will do!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Is this for a 911 style dash? If so, just use the 911 gauge. The 914 and the 911 use the same sender in the fuel tank, so it works perfectly.

r_towle
A suggestion...

Try not printing the letters at all, so leave a stencil of the letters there and backlight it with led lights......

Kinda like you cut out the lettering it what I am trying to say...
dfelz
Clay, i do have a 911 fuel gauge, but i thought it looked funny with the oil level one just sitting there. I thought about putting a resistor on it to make it "look" like there was a reading but figured this would be more fun biggrin.gif and the since the 911 gauge is a 911 gauge, its worth well more than what i spent printing this pod and using the stock unit.

r_towle, i contemplated that too, but the problem is the inside pieces, like inside the hole of the 9 and the 4.... my next lid will have just "914" in the same cursive style as above, but it will be much larger since porsche will not be above it, that should give me enough room to make the letters big enough to fully print and fill in.

I also needed to widen the opening to better see the orange dial and the low level warning light.
worn
QUOTE(dfelz @ Nov 3 2013, 08:34 PM) *

I need to buy one of the VDO fuel level gauges for the 914 and there are 3 Ohm range options. Who knows which one is the correct one for the stock sending unit?
Options:
0-90
10-180
73-10

Thanks!

I read the lower posts and have to admit i cannot understand the goal. I see you have made a mask for a fuel gauge, but why i cannot tell. sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 13 2013, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(dfelz @ Nov 3 2013, 08:34 PM) *

Options:
0-90
10-180
73-10

Thanks!

I read the lower posts and have to admit i cannot understand the goal. I see you have made a mask for a fuel gauge, but why i cannot tell. sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I never hit no sawzall thingy. Swear it. santa_smiley.gif cheer.gif beerchug.gif
'73-914kid
David bought a set of late 911 gauges for his Getty dash. Late 911 fuel senders differ from the 914/early 911 style sender, so the gauge would always read wrong. Rather then spend the money on an earlier 911 fuel gauge, he made his own housing for the 914 gauge instert. Seems like a more affordable and cool way to try out the 3d printing IMO.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dfelz @ Dec 13 2013, 07:17 PM) *

Clay, i do have a 911 fuel gauge, but i thought it looked funny with the oil level one just sitting there. I thought about putting a resistor on it to make it "look" like there was a reading but figured this would be more fun biggrin.gif and the since the 911 gauge is a 911 gauge, its worth well more than what i spent printing this pod and using the stock unit.

r_towle, i contemplated that too, but the problem is the inside pieces, like inside the hole of the 9 and the 4.... my next lid will have just "914" in the same cursive style as above, but it will be much larger since porsche will not be above it, that should give me enough room to make the letters big enough to fully print and fill in.

I also needed to widen the opening to better see the orange dial and the low level warning light.

I have the same dash in my /6 conversion. I had the oil level gauge replaced with a volt meter.

IPB Image

That is the only picture I could find real fast. North Hollywood Speedometer can do one in black too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.