Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEED 914/6 THROTTLE LINKAGE PARTS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marinmcgreevy
Hi All,

Starting to work on my 914/6. One of the things I do not like is the throttle linkage. The car has 40IDA Webers on tall manifolds. The throttle linkage is a cable (with a ball socket on the end) attached directly to the cross bar. The throttle cable goes under the engine and then makes a sharp turn up to the slot in the sheet metal for the normal 914/6 throttle rod. The car has a sideshifter so that is why I think this car is set up the way it is. The throttle works fine but having the cable make two sharp 90 degree turns does not sit well. I am looking for the bell crank that mounts on the stud that is pressed into the intake manifold. The manifold has the stud but no bell crank. Pelican carries the bushing but not the bell crank.

Does anyone know of a good source for such parts? I need the bell crank and the rod that goes from the bell crank to the cross bar. I am including a photo of a set for sale on ebay. I do not need the manifold or I would bid on the parts.

Thanks and Merry Christmas! IPB Image
John
Boy am I confused.

I thought the bellcrank (shown in your picture) mounted on the intermediate plate on the transmission. From the bellcrank (on the intermediate plate on the transmission), a solid rod extended up to the crossbar linkage between the carbs (just like a 911 setup)....

The throttle cable actuates the bellcrank.

Have I forgotten everything????????????

I feel very confused.
Cap'n Krusty
You need to look at a picture of the linkage. The 914/6 has a unique throttle cable, going to a bell crank on the right side of the intermediate plate of the trann ( on the left side where the shift linkage attaches). From there a throttle rod extends up through the tin to another bell crank on the manifolds. Those look like stock manifolds, BTW, the tall ones are much taller. You need to be SURE you get the right bell cranks, because there are numerous versions which determine movement and pedal pressure. Rich Johnson sells a nice kit, and I think Dave at GPR has one as well. Any system without the cranks and rod is gonna be less satisfactory than the factory system, which is well thought out and proven effective. The Cap'n
Root_Werks
You have options here. It sounds like this is an original 914-6 that someone put a side shifter into? No?

If this is an original six, get your bell crank parts from Rich Johnson, he has all the original stuff. I think it is around $300. The bell crank is the part that bolts onto the trans. The parts you circled are just carb linkage parts you can grab off of just about any carb'd 911. PMO has those parts if you need them (You will if you don't have them).

Or - You could buy my bell crank kit, but you would also need a 914-4 throttle cable. It is meant for 914-4 to 914-6 conversions. So I wouldn't recomend it if you have an original six. It is $65 and I think a throttle cable is around $20?

Hope that helps, post pictures if you can. That helps out a lot. Let us know if you need anything. We are here to help! IPB Image
marinmcgreevy
Thanks to all.

The car is an original 914/6 that has had a sideshifter installed with a later engine.

I have found the thread on the parts available from Rich Johnson. I will email him. I have used PMO in the past and will contact them for the bellcrank parts. I believe I have a PMO manifold.

My next question is when do I do this? The linkage works fine as is and perhaps I should wait until it breaks. My concern is that I have no idea what kind of cable is in the car (though I believe it is the stock, if not original, 914/6) and I would like to carry a spare. The first thing I bought from Pelican when I bought the car was a spare Terry Cable clutch cable. I had a clutch cable break in traffic on my first 914 back in July 1984.

Thanks! IPB Image
Root_Werks
From what you have described, sounds like you still have the 914-6 throttle cable. Pretty much everything should be a bolt-on type of deal. It may work, but making the cable turn hard corners will cause it to wear out pretty quick. I wouldn't wait. Get the parts and put it back right again.

Hey a 3.2 in your car? You gotta post some pics of it! IPB Image
marinmcgreevy
The photo below shows the linkage. The cable end has a ball socket. The cable goes under the engine and hen goes up and back through the slot in in the engine tin (the one for the throttle pull rod). The cable is secured at a bracket attached to the cross bar mount.
marinmcgreevy
The engine is a 3.0 SC with 98mm Pistons.
Root_Werks
Ah, just what you circled in the other picture. You are missing the traingle piece and rod around the carb linkage along with all the bellcrank 914-6 stuff. Yes, you ave a 914-6 cable, so one less part to buy,,,, but may not be a bad idea to just get one now anyway. Like you said about cables, cheap insurance.

Looks like the set has been working for a while. No rush then? But I would still get it corrected. IPB Image
marinmcgreevy
one more of engine
Root_Werks
IPB Image Looks great!
Cap'n Krusty
The 914-6 throttle cable is easily identified ........... It's threaded on both ends. The one for the 4 is threaded only on the forward end. The Cap'n
marinmcgreevy
OK,

Have been looking around the site and found some photos of Brant's car.

First thing is that car and the fabrication quality is absolutely top notch!

The amazing thing is I think he is doing this project from a long distance (car is about 2-3hrs from home).

His racecar link is depressing as it all looks soooo good and viewing it online makes it seem that the work has occured instantaneously even though I think it has taken a couple of years.

My shop is right next to my house and I am lucky to get two hours a month in working on cars....

Here is what it my throttle linkage is supposed to look like...

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
marinmcgreevy
and at the carbs. (At least I have the same PMO fuel rails IPB Image )
Root_Werks
The missing "links" IPB Image
brant
Evan,

those are very kind words.. thank you..
Its close to what a stock set up is supposed to be.

On the stock car there is a mounting hole drilled into the intermediate plate for the pivot point....

I didn't want to drill the intermediate plate as my tranny was already done.. Plus I wanted to be able to switch my linkage from tranny to tranny (in the future).. Finally, I didn't want to spend the $ to buy all of the stock parts.

Sooo... my pivot point is probably a few inches different than a stock -6.. but overall looks kinda close to what a stock one would look like.

again thank you for the kind words
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.