Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I drove it today - First time it has run since 1989
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I got the last two CV's in and backed it slowly out of the garage...

Then I put it in first... Grind.......

Then I put it in second, no grind, so back into the garage. The throttle is very tight. It doesn't like to retun to anywhere near an idle point. So I ran to the Flaps and got a couple of throttle return springs.

It seemed better.

I slowly backed out again, took a big breath, and backed into the street!
Then back into second, still hadn't adjusted the linkage. and away I went driving.gif

probably 20 MPH or 30. Still no windshield!!!!!!! Didn't shift gears, but then I started to hear a rear noise. WTF, bearing?, Brakes?

Turn around and zoom back to the garage, never leaving second gear.
Rubber all over the right rear quarter and car is sitting lower on right than left.
WTF? Did I adjust the Bilsteins unevenly? No.

So here I sit. Big smile. Still a ways to go, but so close....
Just read the thread about uneven rear ride height. Now to figure that out... Yes it was hit in the front left, Yes I did a lot of welding, Yes, the whole car has been taken apart and put back together again, Yes it has bigger than stock tires, Yes it could be crooked, Yes the shims could be screwed up, Yes the front ride height might not be even, Yes the engine won't idle, Yes it looks like it is leaking brake fluid, but No, I am not discouraged. I drove my 914 for the first time piratenanner.gif biggrin.gif
balljoint
thumb3d.gif

More than a few of us know that feeling.
URY914
: first.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif
jimkelly
post some pics are the problematic areas. these guys have great eyes.

your throttle cable could be rusty and or frayed.

noises in back could be - as you say - a bearing or trans - though everything is replaceable and available.

make sure you got trans oil in transaxle.

jim
wndsnd
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 9 2013, 03:55 PM) *

post some pics are the problematic areas. these guys have great eyes.

your throttle cable could be rusty and or frayed. ***** brand new *****

noises in back could be - as you say - a bearing or trans - though everything is replaceable and available. **** all brand new *****

make sure you got trans oil in transaxle. ***** Full *****

jim

shoguneagle
You have experienced the "ultimate in personal and ego satisfaction!!! Nothing can beat it. I got the same feeling when I drove my car the first time and having similar problems. Problems can be corrected, the first driving experience cannot be never, ever be replaced with the feelings you experienced.

Now, post some pictures. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif beer.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
wndsnd
Some ride height pictures

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I have the Bilsteins on the 4th perch from bottom

Passenger side rear is the rub.

Thats the side I cut off to get to the hell hole for repair.

Haven't checked the shims yet.

bcheney
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 9 2013, 04:36 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Congrats....looks cool.
Java2570
Do you have enough slack in your throttle cable where it hooks to throttle body? I had mine too tight
once and had issues with it binding and causing the idle to be too high or stick at a certain point.
jimkelly
pass side seems a tad higher than drivers side.
could be your springs are not sitting flat to the perches?
height difference seems minimal.

the rubbing is a bigger issue.
has your car been aligned?
wndsnd
QUOTE(Java2570 @ Nov 9 2013, 04:44 PM) *

Do you have enough slack in your throttle cable where it hooks to throttle body? I had mine too tight
once and had issues with it binding and causing the idle to be too high or stick at a certain point.

Interesting,

I have mine adjusted tight... I will loosen it up. I was keeping it tight because the ball socket is bad and it falls off if too loose. I have a new one ordered but it hasn't arrived yet. So I safety wired it on to the pivot.
wndsnd
QUOTE(bcheney @ Nov 9 2013, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 9 2013, 04:36 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Congrats....looks cool.

Thank you. Far from done. I need to have someone do the final panel adjustments. I don't have the strength or patience for that.

wndsnd
Nothings been aligned yet Jim. Just made it off the jack stands this afternoon.

I still have a lot of tinkering to do but when I am done efing it up I am going to bring it to Racer Chris to set up the suspension biggrin.gif
jimkelly
I would this a cocked rear trailing arm could cause the rub you are getting but the misalignment might be visable to the naked eye ?

nice color, there is another 914 for sale of similar color.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=223544

jim
wndsnd
Thats a nice car Jim.

Adriatic blue. It started out as Olympic but I liked the Adriatic better. Changing color was a bitch.
scott_in_nh
Nice going John! beerchug.gif
ThePaintedMan
piratenanner.gif Congrats!

The throttle return is just one of those things you'll have to tinker with most likely.

As far as the ride height, it looks fairly even judging by tire to body height. However, getting it properly aligned is going to change things. The tow and camber will most surely change, which may correct the rubbing.

We have EMPI rims (like yours) on our car, so I know they will fit, even with 205s. However, they are not machined to the precision that other rims are, so its very possible that swapping your tires around could help correct the rubbing for the time being. I know for a fact that offset between our rims is ever so slightly different between them, so that if I get the order right, there is no rubbing. If I move one tire to the rear, it will rub. Try moving them from corner to corner (as much fun as that is).
r_towle
How close is the fender to the rubber?
Can you get your fingers in there?

Serious solution.
Get on a pair of gloves, grab the fender and gently start to pull the fender away from the wheel, if you do it right, a few pulls will do the trick.
Remarkably flexible rear fender if you are pulling it right.
bandjoey
A tight throttle needing springs might be the cable is wrapped around the clutch cable in the center tube. Mirror and light to confirm. Great looking car too!
wndsnd
Good suggestions I did not think of.

Thanks Scott.

George, they arent 205's they are an odd size. I will post size tomorrow. I neverwould have guessed there are variances between wheels.

Rich,
Fender is right on the tire. But to Georges comment, I am wondering about camber. I did take everything apart so it might be assembled differently than the drivers side. I will keep the fender bending as a last resort. I suppose I could always have it rolled as well.
rick 918-S
Be sure you have a ground strap on the transaxle. Your sticking throttle could be the cable acting like a ground and frying.

The car looks very nice!
wndsnd
There is a ground strap.

I have to get the mirror in there to check throttle cable. Will do that tomorrrow.

Thinking first gear grind is most likely clutch adjustment.

Want to figure out the tire rub so Ican terrorize the neighborhood tomorrow without a windshield again biggrin.gif

What's everyones opinion on rear ride height. Should I try going up a perch on the spring plates or do you think it looks about right now?
wndsnd
Tires are 195/60-15

rhodyguy
why does your exhaust exit on the wrong side? poke.gif
wndsnd
Kevin,

Bought a NOS German muffler off ebay for 914. Turns out it is a bus muffler.
But it is so nice I am going to run it for awhile without the valance

Put as much negative camber in that I could. I also induced some of Rich Towle's methods. much better but I think it will still rub on bumps.

Throttle still sticking. having trouble even with a mirror checking if cable is crossed in tunnel.

something smells. I think is is the tire rub, but it could be clutch and or oil burning.

New clutch and cable, but I had to adjust it almost to the end towards the pulley. I think it is because the flywheel must have been turned.

It goes into first but as I let the clutch out, it grinds a bit and pops out. That indicates to me that it is a rod adjustment and not clutch adjustment.

Do you agree?

Thanks
John
wndsnd
Nice Bus Muffler

Click to view attachment

jimkelly
if 1st is popping out - certainly should try to pull the tunnel shift rod, forward a bit, into the shifter, to try to get better engagement.

in an old trans, popping out of first could due to worn out/rounded teeth on 1st/reverse slider, which your rebuilt trans won't have.

with clutch adjustment, it think you want the clutch to be fully disengaged when fully pressed down and for some distance short of being fully pressed down, and opposite when peddle is not pressed on or slightly pressed down. I think having the car in gear, engine off, and having someone push the car while you check peddle adjustment sounds like a good way to do it, to me. I guess you want peddle board to be installed.

listen to the pros, I am just a thread worm biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 10 2013, 10:17 AM) *

It goes into first but as I let the clutch out, it grinds a bit and pops out. That indicates to me that it is a rod adjustment and not clutch adjustment.

Do you agree?

Thanks
John

Yup. Did we not rebuild this one? First should be perfect and if the rod does not give enough oomph to put the gear all the way in then you will have this. Likely with 3 and 5, too.
wndsnd
Mike,

You did not rebuild this one.

I have your DVD but I will not do it myself.

Not sure it even needs rebuild yet. But it probably does.

I did find your notes and have been working with them on the linkage adjustment.
I can't thank you enough for putting the time into these. They are invaluable to us.

I really can't finesse the linkage and clutch cable because the throttle is sticking. I have to slip the clutch too much and I don't want to burn it up. I think that is the smell I have not tire rub.

I think I found it wrapped, but one of my ball sockets is screwed and I am waiting for another from the bird. I have been trying to wire it but so far it still pops off every time it try to get it working. It sucks working around the pedal cluster.
wndsnd
double post
Dr Evil
If throttle is sticking, you may have the cables for the clutch and the throttle tangled.
jimkelly
if not,

I would use two people, disconnect cable from peddle and throttle body, one holed one end of throttle cable and one hold the other end and slide it back and forth, check for friction or worse.

jim

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 10 2013, 01:19 PM) *

If throttle is sticking, you may have the cables for the clutch and the throttle tangled.

wndsnd
The cable is moving freely in the sheath.

I think that I have so much safety wire on the sockets now that is the source of my binding.

I think I had a wrap becuase I was playing with it and moving it around the clutch cable and all of a suddden I ended up with over another inch of excess cable which I had to shorten at the rear.

There is no throttle body Jim, I converted it to Webers.

Here is the lcable at the rear.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.