Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vagabundo
I posted this on the PP BBS but thought I would start this here to see if a wider audience might help.

I am the original owner of a 1973 2.0 with stock EFI and about 115K miles. Several years ago I had a shop relocate the fuel pump up front while I had the tank out. The car hasn't been driven much since then but I got back on the road recently and the car was driving great after I sorted out some relay problems.

Last week I had to jump start the car knowing the battery was shot. Car was runnin', so I took it out but could not restart to get it back home, even with a jump. My local mechanic replaced the battery and was able to get the car started but it appears the fuel pump is shot (he tapped it with a l'il hammer to get it going).

Here's my problem -- I know these 2.0 pumps are NLA but I could take out the pump and send it Auto ATL for a rebuild. I saw on another thread that the ground wire could be a culprit, so I'm going to check that first. Are there any other things I should be looking at before I take out the pump? I would hate to miss a shade-tree fix before I go down that road.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

vb
JawjaPorsche
NAPA has new Bosch Fuel Pump. I assume yours is a two prong pump? The three prong pump is NLA but the two prong is still available. If you have a three prong, you can use the two prong pump with no problem.

Part number BSH 69133
ClayPerrine
Go to your FLAPS, and get an Airtex E8445. Hook it up and cap the return line that went to the pump.

It is locally available, and produces the same pressure and volume as the stock Bosch pump. I have been running one on the wife's 914 for 3 years now without an issue.

Clay Perrine
Dave_Darling
Actually, you should just remove the "Y" that went between the fuel tank, the fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel pump. After removing the Y, the line just goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the tank.

If tapping on the pump fixes it, the problem is most likely the electric motor in the pump is failing. You may be able to get a local electrical shop to rebuild the pump. That might be more convenient than sending it to Atlanta.

--DD
vagabundo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 13 2013, 03:44 PM) *

Actually, you should just remove the "Y" that went between the fuel tank, the fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel pump. After removing the Y, the line just goes from the fuel pressure regulator to the tank.

If tapping on the pump fixes it, the problem is most likely the electric motor in the pump is failing. You may be able to get a local electrical shop to rebuild the pump. That might be more convenient than sending it to Atlanta.

--DD

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I'm heading down to my local FLAPS to see what Mr. O'Reilly has in stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.