Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Oil Pressure/Temp Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
Evening Gents, I'm looking to upgrade the gauge cluster in my 912E (type 4 engine) and would like to add one of the dual gauges that has oil temp, oil pressure, and oil warning/volt idiot lights.

I know the 912E has an oil temp gauge, and idiot light, but how would I, can I add a pressure gauge too? is there a combo sender that I can hook up? or is it a second sensor?

Thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 13 2013, 07:03 PM) *
is there a combo sender that I can hook up?

I would assume you can use the same dual sender that is available (aftermarket) for the 914.
idea.gif
Dave_Darling
Yes, that should work fine.

You can use one of these types of sender: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._pg2.htm#item11

I am not sure if the resistance range on the 911 pressure gauge matches one of the senders or not.

The sender does not fit well with the distributor. A common way to relocate it is to use a grease gun hose threaded into the case, and some brass plumbing adapters to hook it up to the sender. And make sure to ground the outside of the sender.

--DD
type47
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 13 2013, 07:15 PM) *

I would assume you can use the same dual sender that is available (aftermarket) for the 914.
idea.gif

Click to view attachmentVDO 360-009 dual sender for oil pressure
Click to view attachmentVDO 323-055 oil temp drain plug sender for oil temp
use these with VDO pressure and temp gauges
Click to view attachment
(use oil temp instead of cylinder head temp)
larryM
do you mean you want to use a 911 combo gage in the dash - instead of the aftermarket setup shown above?

yes - you can do that

- i just sold such a 911 gage for $200

yes you need the correct sender - depends on if the gage is 10 bar or 5 bar

Bulldog9
Yes, thats exactly what I want to do. My plan is a bit crazy, plan to keep the 3 center gauges, and put vents in outer where fuel gague and clock are (this is a 912E).

From left to right vent - Oil Temp/Pressure - Tach - Speedo - vent

Will relocate 2" VDO clock, Volt, and Fuel Gauge to lower dash in place of the ashtray.

I want to do this, as I wanted to add an oil pressure gauge either way, and in looking around saw that the 911 had a dual oil temp & pressure gauge, figured this would look better. I could do a 4 gauge stack below, but like the idea of temp and pressure in same location not one in a small vdo in teh lower dash and one in stock positiuon.

The Vent system is basically dash vents from a Ford F-15o, plumbed up to a small fan and filter that will pull air in from the cowl when needed. SHould help in the warmer weather to move air through the cabin.

I also have a crazy plan for the heat as well, have built two small 150W electric heat boxes that will be spliced into the heat duct tubing just before the dash mixing flapper box things. They are basically the size of a 4" electrical box, and draw 2-3 amps each. They put out a nice amount of medium hot/warm air. The benifit of this is that the stock rear blower, switch/relay flapper box system remains intact, and other than an extra dash swiich, the system will look stock. Have to cut about 3" of the air tube out to splice the heater box in each side and then plumb it in. Once carpet goes back in and cowl/footwell is covered will be completely transparent.

Took me almost 2 years to find the right elements combining size with low draw and good heat output. I bench tested them with a 12V power supply for 2 hours and they put out good heat, never gor redhot, and airflow produced plenty of warm air. Because they are so close to the front mixing/flapper units, the retained heat should be fine, and the stock air controls are left as original. Here is a link if interested. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321100648864?ssPage...984.m1439.l2649 I've got a diagram of the system and will do pics of install when finished.

But back to the gauges and senders, I will start looking for the right gauge/price and also the senders. Good to know it will work.!

QUOTE(larryM @ Nov 16 2013, 12:06 AM) *

do you mean you want to use a 911 combo gage in the dash - instead of the aftermarket setup shown above?

yes - you can do that

Dtjaden
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 16 2013, 07:09 AM) *

Yes, thats exactly what I want to do. My plan is a bit crazy, plan to keep the 3 center gauges, and put vents in outer where fuel gague and clock are (this is a 912E).

Will relocate 2" VDO clock, Volt, and Fuel Gauge to lower dash in place of the ashtray.

I want to do this, as I wanted to add an oil pressure gauge either way, and in looking around saw that the 911 had a dual oil temp & pressure gauge, figured this would look better. I could do a 4 gauge stack below, but like the idea of temp and pressure in same location not one in a small vdo in teh lower dash and one in stock positiuon.

The Vent system is basically dash vents from a Ford F-15o, plumbed up to a small fan and filter that will pull air in from the cowl when needed. SHould help in the warmer weather to move air through the cabin.

I also have a crazy plan for the heat as well, have built two small 150W electric heat boxes that will be spliced into the heat duct tubing just before the dash mixing flapper box things. They are basically the size of a 4" electrical box, and draw 2-3 amps each. They put out a nice amount of medium hot/warm air. The benifit of this is that the stock rear blower, switch/relay flapper box system remains intact, and other than an extra dash swiich, the system will look stock. Have to cut about 3" of the air tube out to splice the heater box in each side and then plumb it in. Once carpet goes back in and cowl/footwell is covered will be completely transparent.

Took me almost 2 years to find the right elements combining size with low draw and good heat output. I bench tested them with a 12V power supply for 2 hours and they put out good heat, never gor redhot, and airflow produced plenty of warm air. Because they are so close to the front mixing/flapper units, the retained heat should be fine, and the stock air controls are left as original. Here is a link if interested. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321100648864?ssPage...984.m1439.l2649 I've got a diagram of the system and will do pics of install when finished.

But back to the gauges and senders, I will start looking for the right gauge/price and also the senders. Good to know it will work.!

yes - you can do that

150 watts at 12 volts = 12.5 amps. Either these don't put out 150 watts of heat or they will draw much more than the 2-3 amps you mentioned. 12v at 3a = 36 watts = 122 btu's of heat.
Dtjaden
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Nov 16 2013, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 16 2013, 07:09 AM) *

yes - you can do that

150 watts at 12 volts = 12.5 amps. Either these don't put out 150 watts of heat or they will draw much more than the 2-3 amps you mentioned. 12v at 3a = 36 watts = 122 btu's of heat.

Out of curiosity I did a quick calculation on the amount of heat need to increase the cabin temperature 30 degrees and it works out to about 270 watts. So this may not be a bad idea if your electrical system can support the 25 amps needed for a pair of these heaters. Keep us informed about how this works out!
Bulldog9
QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Nov 16 2013, 10:32 AM) *

I did the same calculations, and was planning to do a larger alternator (rumors of a 100 amp type 4 alt for campers, but havent found more than 70) and second battery in the smuggler box.... However when I hooked these up to my bench powersupply (something I built in High School circa 1980) the amp meter only showed 2.5 amps for one and when both were hooked up the amp meter showed around 4-4.5. I will play around a bit more, and put a multimeter on them.

Will definately keep everyone posted.
Bulldog9
I ended up getting a dual gauge from an 86 911, once I have the part in hand will figure out if I need the 150 or 80 lb sender. Being that I have the tins off, will likely modify the tin to accomodate the new sender. Now when it comes to the temp sender, I imagine that will go down at teh taco plate, and use the same sender from the 912? or will I need a different one?

Thanks! Pics will follow.

QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 14 2013, 08:04 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 13 2013, 07:15 PM) *

idea.gif

Click to view attachmentVDO 360-009 dual sender for oil pressure
Click to view attachmentVDO 323-055 oil temp drain plug sender for oil temp
use these with VDO pressure and temp gauges
Click to view attachment
(use oil temp instead of cylinder head temp)
Dave_Darling
The sump is for the temp sender.

The pressure sender is the dual-pole one. It screws in next to the distributor. There isn't usually enough room for it, though, so a common thing to do is screw in a grease gun hose to the hole in the case, and then use some adaptors to connect it to the sender. Make sure to ground the body of the sender if you go that route.

--DD
oldschool

Evening Gents, I'm looking to upgrade the gauge cluster in my 912E (type 4 engine) and would like to add one of the dual gauges that has oil temp, oil pressure, and oil warning/volt idiot lights.

I know the 912E has an oil temp gauge, and idiot light, but how would I, can I add a pressure gauge too? is there a combo sender that I can hook up? or is it a second sensor?

Thanks!

Steve, how about some pictures of you 912E...I'm a fan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.