Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will this wheel fit ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sawfish
Looking for some guidance as to whether or not these wheels will fit my 72 914.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-CENTERLINE-CLAS...#ht_2867wt_1363

I currently have empi 8 spokes and I am looking to reduce unsprung weight without breaking the bank.

Any feedback?

wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Sawfish @ Nov 14 2013, 09:34 AM) *
Any feedback?

They will bolt up to your 914 but it seems they have the offset to fit a bug/ghia in which case you'll be limited to a narrow tire, if you can fit them at all.

popcorn[1].gif
Sawfish
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 14 2013, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Sawfish @ Nov 14 2013, 09:34 AM) *
Any feedback?

They will bolt up to your 914 but it seems they have the offset to fit a bug/ghia in which case you'll be limited to a narrow tire, if you can fit them at all.

popcorn[1].gif

I currently run a 205/50/15 on a 5-1/2 width anything larger will cost me points.

rick 918-S
I had a set of centerline "style" wheels on one of the 914's I purchased. The P.O. took a grinder and ground the shit out of the calipers. The part that faces the wheels because when you tightened the "VW" wheels down the inside of the wheel locked against the caliper. The calipers were junk after that. I scrapped the wheels and the calipers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Sawfish @ Nov 14 2013, 11:25 AM) *
I currently run a 205/50/15 on a 5-1/2 width anything larger will cost me points.

With the bug offset, i highly doubt you'll be able to run 205s ...
shades.gif
jimkelly
your empi's are probably vw offset too.

you want a set of, fuchs, pedrinis, mahles, or sport steel. for best offset (4.5" I think) and 5.5 width.

jim
JRust
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 14 2013, 12:39 PM) *

your empi's are probably vw offset too.

If he is running 205's no way the Empi's are VW stock. Unless his car is flared confused24.gif . I have seen centerline's with the correct offset. Steve in Portland has a set on his Raby powered 914. Actually maybe they just look like centerlines? They do exist I believe. Just email the people selling & ask for the measurement on the backside
ventedrib
Centerline will make wheels any offset U need.
jimkelly
here is sawfish catching some Gsssssssssssssssssss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV1w-v24jZg

sounds good biggrin.gif
damesandhotrods
They sound like a salesman, and they don’t know their product. The Beetle has a different offset than the Type 3 and Ghia. 914s, Type 3s, and Ghias are pretty much the same offset. Sure they’re 4 lug and they’ll bolt up but that’s a long way from fitting. If you need wheels I’d check The Samba.com before eBay…
rhodyguy
fwiw, cip1 sells what appears to be the same wheel for $99.95. as noted, the backspacing is pretty shallow.
watsonrx13
So is the off set of the wheels pictured?

What is the preferred off set for our cars?

What would be the minimum off set be for a flared car?

--- Rob
jimkelly
here is as a sport steel wheel, and they are 18.5 lbs each.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...hl=wheel+weight
Fuchs == 13 lbs = 4 lug fuch weight
Mahles == 14 lbs = mahle weight
Pedrinis == 17 lbs = pedrini weight

the piece of wood I am using is on one lip but tilted up and one an outter edge of the wheel, so not perfectly level, but close.

appears to be 4.25" offset, subtracting for the tilt in my wood biggrin.gif

depending on the cut of the tire model, some 205x50x15 will rub inner wheel well. I think I like 195x60x15, but again, it depends on mfr of tire.

since fuchs are the least weight. my guess is one could lose another 1lb or so by milling the openings a bit more?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.