Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Self Sustaining Electric 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 21 2013, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 21 2013, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 20 2013, 12:33 PM) *

The all laughted at Edison. I'm watching and can't wait to see the results. Someone someday will come up with Warp Drive. How bout you? aktion035.gif

Nobody laughed at Edison. He invented stuff. Proved it would work. Patented it. Then announced it and got funding.

They laughed at Tesla, Edison's apprentice. Now Edison's stuff is obsolete, except the light bulb. Tesla's stuff is still in use around the world... Tesla, father of Alternating Current...

Edison offered Tesla $50,000 to come to the US and work with him. A huge sum of money back then. When Tesla got here (not easy for him), Edison told him, "What, you believed that"? av-943.gif Edison insisted on DC power which was unworkable, Tesla's AC power has been used ever since. Kudos to Elon Musk for naming the car after him.
Dr Evil
Edison electrocuted animals, including an elephant, to show that AC was dangerous.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 22 2013, 11:52 AM) *

Edison electrocuted animals, including an elephant, to show that AC was dangerous.

and you used Ac to weld up that intake no ? unsure.gif

I see your point mellow.gif
Chris Pincetich
Remember Ottmar's electric 914? He used that project to launch a career in EVs and is still going, I think. He had dual DC motors connected via a belt, and from what I heard, it was a fast 914!

I say, jwalters, build an EV 914. Then put the wind thingy in there. If it don't work, at least you have an EV 914 beerchug.gif

I want to build an EV 914. I'd like to do a DC motor direct into the 901 (modified to have only 2 or 3 gears) and then an AC motor connected so it could "take over" during cruising and generate power on deceleration. Attach PV cells to the targa roof, then take it off and angle it while parked to get a trickle charge...etc etc

It's still at the smoke.gif stage... biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 22 2013, 10:22 AM) *

Edison offered Tesla $50,000 to come to the US and work with him. A huge sum of money back then. When Tesla got here (not easy for him), Edison told him, "What, you believed that"? av-943.gif Edison insisted on DC power which was unworkable, Tesla's AC power has been used ever since. Kudos to Elon Musk for naming the car after him.

That's not what happened at all:

The Bet. Tesla insisted that he could increase the efficiency of Edison’s prototypical dynamos, and eventually wore down Edison enough to let him try. Edison, Tesla later claimed, even promised him $50,000 if he succeeded. Tesla worked around the clock for several months and made a great deal of progress. When he demanded his reward, Edison claimed the offer was a joke, saying, “When you become a full-fledged American, you will appreciate an American joke.” Edison offered a $10/week raise, instead. Ever prideful, Tesla quit, and spent the next few months picking up odd jobs across New York City. Nikola Tesla: ditch digger.

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/30140/acdc-...d#ixzz2lPWwcaud

ruby914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 21 2013, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 21 2013, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 20 2013, 12:33 PM) *

The all laughted at Edison. I'm watching and can't wait to see the results. Someone someday will come up with Warp Drive. How bout you? aktion035.gif

Nobody laughed at Edison. He invented stuff. Proved it would work. Patented it. Then announced it and got funding.

They laughed at Tesla, Edison's apprentice. Now Edison's stuff is obsolete, except the light bulb. Tesla's stuff is still in use around the world... Tesla, father of Alternating Current...

No more of Edison's light bulbs in my house, obsolete. Fluorescent and LED.

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
PThompson509
Personally I think the 914 is an excellent platform for EVs - after all, I've converted one.

That said, this link from a VERY reputable EV site might shed a bit of light on the subject:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13644

So even with that link, I with the original poster best of luck, and hope that his project does indeed produce more energy than is used to move the car - that would indeed change the world.

Cheers!
stugray
1jwalters: I have a very, very strong history of making people look very bad, even on this board......

stugray: Care to share any of your calculations?

IPB Image
euro911
Having an open mind eliminates half the battle ... well, maybe not precisely 'half', but great discoveries and inventions that many of us take for granted today, simply would not have come into existence without those certain individuals, who brought them to light, thinking outside the box.

Back in the early '80's, I sat down with a blank sheet of paper and block diagrammed an electric hybrid automotive propulsion system. I received valuable input from several of my associates who possessed vast knowledge relating to the individual components in the design. It was only an idea, but the conclusion was that it was feasible, and that some day in the future, it was bound to happen on a large scale.

It is interesting to see that the basic design elements I had in my head are currently being utilized by a few hybrid automobile manufacturers.

I've witnessed major technological advancements in data processing, aerodynamics and exotic composites within the aerospace industry during my 32 year tenure. We've also seen the efficiency of photo-voltaic increase by more than 100% within the past decade, not to mention the major advancement in battery chemistry. I can only imagine what new technologies will be uncovered over the next 30 years confused24.gif

I'll be watching the developments and outcome of your endeavor with interest, Johnathan. Stay the course ...

popcorn[1].gif
Rand
I was harsh on a couple points. Truth now will be in the telling. We've had all this fun with speculation. I sincerely wish best of luck.

Just prove it. Simple.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.