Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Self Sustaining Electric 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
1jwalters
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/self-sus...c-car/x/5342378

My latest project. Recently I designed a new generation wind turbine. I am going to miniaturize my design and work it into the front trunk area of a teener.

My goal is to drive coast to coast non-stop........

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

I will accept any help thrown my way!

drunk.gif

By the way, it is great to be back here, I missed this place!
rick 918-S
welcome.png Back that is! Where you been?

Oh! thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
JeffBowlsby
You will need to offer equity in your company to generate capital wink.gif
Cap'n Krusty
TNSTAAFL.

The Cap'n
PThompson509
Interesting. Word of caution: do NOT use Electro Automotive - you will lose your money. Lots of people already have lost their money, don't be another.

Cheers!
Mike Bellis
Kind of cool but kind of like spam.gif

welcome.png

I'm taking donations to build a 12 cylinder 914. Any takers? KMA.gif
d914
Perpetual motion ?
skeates
Let us know how those pesky laws of thermodynamics treat you...
Elliot Cannon
If it works, how long before the oil companies make you an offer you can't refuse? av-943.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 17 2013, 12:07 AM) *

If it works, how long before the oil companies make you an offer you can't refuse? av-943.gif

watch out...may end up like Rudolf Diesel...
1jwalters
Hey jeff and rick and everybody else! yep ir has been awhile. i have been traveling all over the planet for the last few years.

where is dr evil? aaron cox still around? Scotty b?

i must apologoze as i am on the road doing a tour of local machine shops and corporate machine shops promoting my wind engine. sending this from my smart phone.

be back home on mo.day.chat with all you guys more then!
Bulldog9
Man this brings me back..... When I was young and ambitious and considered myself inventive, I came up with a plan similar to this. A perpetually powered electric car. The problem was the need and ability to reliably generate and store more power than you are consuming. Given the needs for accelleration, grade increases, accessory/load demands, I figured that if you allowed for a 25% overhead (100KW generate, 75W motor) and had enough capacity you would be fine, but the math (according to my electrical engineer uncle).

The plan was to generate power two ways, 1 was regenerative through a wheel driven generator, second was solar power cells. The theory/idea was sound, the math diddnt hold up. Something about entropy, etc and that the ratio of consumption to generation wasnt right. I thought a 2-3 speed transmission to step up the ration on the generator would address this, but there was little available to make that happen.

So, I decided to scrap the design and went instead for a system with: solar panels (roof & hood), a wheel generator (front wheels) and a small onboard gasoline powered generator (engine compartment) all 3 would dump power into the batteries, solar when the sun was out and independedent of all movement, the wheel generator when moving, and the gas generator for when demand outpaced the ability to generate or the battery levels dropped below 40%. I still liked the idea of a 2 speed transmission to double the speed of the generator relative to speed, the theory being generating twice the power and outpace consumption. This system worked out great on paper and the math worked too. The only problem was I was 13-14 years old and had no access to do anything other than old lawnmower parts, scavanged junkyard parts, and a 1960 VW beetle shell. But this was the 70's, I was 14 and of little means, so I just sent the idea to the General.... Along with my driverless highway idea.

Of course real cars, motorcycles, girls, sports, college, family, Army all got in the way, and I gave up being an inventor, just inovating and improving what I have.

I dont have any idea of the other project you did, but I'm intrigued! Will be watching this thread!

Steve
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 16 2013, 06:00 PM) *

welcome.png

Don't be so flippant about a 914-12. All you need is a VW W-12 motor. It is actually shorter than a 911 engine, and will bolt up to a Boxster transmission with no conversion parts.

(Yes, I have considered it.....)
bulitt
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 17 2013, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 16 2013, 06:00 PM) *

welcome.png

Don't be so flippant about a 914-12. All you need is a VW W-12 motor. It is actually shorter than a 911 engine, and will bolt up to a Boxster transmission with no conversion parts.

Lot of work to get 270hp ?
scotty b
QUOTE(1jwalters @ Nov 17 2013, 04:25 AM) *

Hey jeff and rick and everybody else! yep ir has been awhile. i have been traveling all over the planet for the last few years.

i must apologoze as i am on the road doing a tour of local machine shops and corporate machine shops promoting my wind engine. sending this from my smart phone.

Aaron quit, Evil is busy with his new high falootin 911 owning doctor friends, and they kicked me out dry.gif
jgara962
You're building one of these?
JoeSharp
You missed the Tropical Ramble. Just winding down now. They are talking about a boat trip this afternoon to the Swamphouse on the St Johns river but that will be the end of the ramble. Making plans for next year.
barefoot
QUOTE(1jwalters @ Nov 16 2013, 09:09 AM) *

My latest project. Recently I designed a new generation wind turbine. I am going to miniaturize my design and work it into the front trunk area of a teener.

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

drunk.gif

Feom your video, it seems the widn turbine is spinning with no load. next step, connect a generator to your turbine powerful enough to run your box fan, then get it started with house current, then switch over to generator power and see how long it will run.
BTW, look at this link from sailing anarchy.
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php...han+the+wind%22
brant
Bummer. The only person I've ever had to block. Ever
Rand
If you pitched this on Shark Tank they would rip you to pieces. You are asking for money before demonstrating anything based on reality. A little premature, don't you think? How much power it can generate? Spinning it with a fan doesn't prove anything. What was the point of that?

Hook it to a generator and show us the numbers, along with accurate numbers regarding how much is needed to power a car across the country.

Attach your prototype directly to a prop on a boat and show us how fast you can go (since this is an application you suggested). Try a go kart prototype before asking for $100,000 to go straight to a car.

Fool or scam artist?
Rand
Are you serious about the boat sailing straight into the wind because of this thing? Because by aiming directly into the wind, it would turn a prop hard enough to power a boat forward against that same wind?

I'd like to hear the rest of that explanation, because something's missing. wacko.gif
Chris H.

Uh boy blink.gif ...this is one of the few swaps Mike hasn't done....and once he decides to do something... Mike USE A DIFFERENT TUB THIS TIME....PLEASE!!!!
69telecaster
It's a couple of those laws I kinda remember from many years ago: "you can't get something for nothing", and "nothing is perfect". Let's just say I'm skeptical. dry.gif

cm
Rand
I apologize for my comments.
Tom
What does TNSTAAFL mean? And should I know with out asking?
Tom
pcar916
TAN-staf-ful/ intj,n,v: "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Coined from Robert Heinlein's "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress"

My Note: There seems to be a little discrepancy about which book, but I first read it in a Heinlein book at some point in my 20's. Also...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain%27t...as_a_free_lunch
Bulldog9
Ah, looking at the comments, I'm assuming the original poster is a bit of a troll?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 18 2013, 07:38 AM) *

Ah, looking at the comments, I'm assuming the original poster is a bit of a troll?

Am I missing something as well? Was this guy a troll before? What was his old user ID?

If not then a few people need to take a fucking chill pill.

He seems to know a few of us. There's a whole bunch of self promoters on this site that don't seem to catch this flack. He is converting a 914 so that is definitely not OT.

BTW I'm sceptical as well, as no perpetual motion type of machine has ever been proven to work. But hell.... it's interesting to see him try...with a 914 no less. smile.gif
If you don't like what he's selling (promoting, whatever) don't buy it. He wasn't even outright self promoting....and if he knows anything about this site he knows it's full of cheap ass bastards...come on you don't think he really expects to find a single investor here....do you?. av-943.gif
Hell I bet a few are interested to see if it works because they think they can copy it. rolleyes.gif
Chris H.
I think the old user name is "jwalters" right? Seems like a normal teener guy from previous posts...

Hey why not use your old account confused24.gif ? Someone can reset it for you if need be.
1jwalters
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 16 2013, 01:15 PM) *

You will need to offer equity in your company to generate capital wink.gif

You got something in mind Jeff?? smoke.gif
1jwalters
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Nov 16 2013, 06:44 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif great project

Thanks - hey are you related to Scotty b on here?
1jwalters
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 16 2013, 02:08 PM) *

TNSTAAFL.

The Cap'n

Hey Krusty - good to see you have stuck it out.......
1jwalters
QUOTE(PThompson509 @ Nov 16 2013, 03:52 PM) *

Interesting. Word of caution: do NOT use Electro Automotive - you will lose your money. Lots of people already have lost their money, don't be another.

Cheers!

Feel free to PM me with details........
1jwalters
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 17 2013, 04:55 AM) *

Man this brings me back..... When I was young and ambitious and considered myself inventive, I came up with a plan similar to this. A perpetually powered electric car. The problem was the need and ability to reliably generate and store more power than you are consuming. Given the needs for accelleration, grade increases, accessory/load demands, I figured that if you allowed for a 25% overhead (100KW generate, 75W motor) and had enough capacity you would be fine, but the math (according to my electrical engineer uncle).

The plan was to generate power two ways, 1 was regenerative through a wheel driven generator, second was solar power cells. The theory/idea was sound, the math diddnt hold up. Something about entropy, etc and that the ratio of consumption to generation wasnt right. I thought a 2-3 speed transmission to step up the ration on the generator would address this, but there was little available to make that happen.

So, I decided to scrap the design and went instead for a system with: solar panels (roof & hood), a wheel generator (front wheels) and a small onboard gasoline powered generator (engine compartment) all 3 would dump power into the batteries, solar when the sun was out and independedent of all movement, the wheel generator when moving, and the gas generator for when demand outpaced the ability to generate or the battery levels dropped below 40%. I still liked the idea of a 2 speed transmission to double the speed of the generator relative to speed, the theory being generating twice the power and outpace consumption. This system worked out great on paper and the math worked too. The only problem was I was 13-14 years old and had no access to do anything other than old lawnmower parts, scavanged junkyard parts, and a 1960 VW beetle shell. But this was the 70's, I was 14 and of little means, so I just sent the idea to the General.... Along with my driverless highway idea.

Of course real cars, motorcycles, girls, sports, college, family, Army all got in the way, and I gave up being an inventor, just inovating and improving what I have.

I dont have any idea of the other project you did, but I'm intrigued! Will be watching this thread!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Hey man, at least you tried to do something! More than what many are capable of (not including this place - we are ALL masters of our universes here) beer.gif
1jwalters
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 17 2013, 05:45 AM) *

QUOTE(1jwalters @ Nov 17 2013, 04:25 AM) *

Aaron quit, Evil is busy with his new high falootin 911 owning doctor friends, and they kicked me out dry.gif

Scotty b - good to see you are still around hiding in the shadows!!

How have you been bud? Tell me, has enough time passed by yet to ask just what the flipping hell happened way back when with the thing about the thing??? I have always been curious.....
1jwalters
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Nov 17 2013, 07:22 AM) *

You missed the Tropical Ramble. Just winding down now. They are talking about a boat trip this afternoon to the Swamphouse on the St Johns river but that will be the end of the ramble. Making plans for next year.

You got a blog or lots of pics about this somewhere Joe? I would love to live vicariously through them.......
1jwalters
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 17 2013, 10:20 AM) *

Uh boy blink.gif ...this is one of the few swaps Mike hasn't done....and once he decides to do something... Mike USE A DIFFERENT TUB THIS TIME....PLEASE!!!!

Hey, it would be very interesting! I remember quite fondly of the "Alien" build. He did great work on that project. Rick you got any youtube vids of the alien?
1jwalters
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Nov 18 2013, 07:59 AM) *

I think the old user name is "jwalters" right? Seems like a normal teener guy from previous posts...

Hey why not use your old account confused24.gif ? Someone can reset it for you if need be.

Seems obvious right? Well Chris I have been away for so long that I no longer use the email that I had associated with my original account. I *thought* I remembered my password, but it seems no. So I made a new account....I just wanted to get on here and give the guys a shout out.

Last time I was here, right before I went M.I.A. there was an epic, earth shattering meltdown of the club...............I'll leave it at that.
1jwalters
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 18 2013, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Nov 18 2013, 07:38 AM) *

Am I missing something as well? Was this guy a troll before? What was his old user ID?

If not then a few people need to take a fucking chill pill.

He seems to know a few of us. There's a whole bunch of self promoters on this site that don't seem to catch this flack. He is converting a 914 so that is definitely not OT.

BTW I'm sceptical as well, as no perpetual motion type of machine has ever been proven to work. But hell.... it's interesting to see him try...with a 914 no less. smile.gif
If you don't like what he's selling (promoting, whatever) don't buy it. He wasn't even outright self promoting....and if he knows anything about this site he knows it's full of cheap ass bastards...come on you don't think he really expects to find a single investor here....do you?. av-943.gif
Hell I bet a few are interested to see if it works because they think they can copy it. rolleyes.gif

Hahahahahahahaha!

Hey Mark! Yepper its me the fabled one and only jwalters of yore.....

Thanks for that Mark, I appreciate it.....

I guess it is good to see the club hasn't changed much..... wacko.gif

Good thing? Bad thing? ahh hell, I am back home..... aktion035.gif

Edit:
Ohh, BTW NO, it is not based on the principles of perpetual motion - I am lifting aviation technology and re-purposing it. Kinda like going "around" the wall vs head strong through it.

When I finish it, and my investors see how I accomplished it, I can assume that one or more chief designers might be let go......it is actually quite simple, well, now in this day and age anyway.....
scotty b
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 17 2013, 03:56 PM) *

What? No reply to reality? Asking for funding without promise of return to investors? TNSTAAFL? Perpetural motion? Spam? Laws of physics? Still no comment?

Answer up or you are looking at yet another discharge. This one isn't looking so honorable as your others. (Although we don't know what they were for.)

bs.gif

Chill the fuck out Rand. He clearly stated in his initial post he was on the road and wouldn't check back in for a few days. He's an old member that probably got tired of the bullshit and needed a break. Posts like this one from you are a quick way to turn people off from this place, Including some of the long timers dry.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(1jwalters @ Nov 18 2013, 09:23 AM) *

TNSTAAFL.

The Cap'n

Good to have you back. Just 'cause you have a new account doesn't mean you get another free pass. I believe you've used yours, so you're fair game for my Krustiness ........................ HA!

Seriously, welcome back into the fold .........................

The Cap'n
Rand
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 18 2013, 10:46 AM) *

Chill the fuck out Rand. He clearly stated in his initial post he was on the road and wouldn't check back in for a few days. He's an old member that probably got tired of the bullshit and needed a break.

You are correct. I apologize.
1jwalters
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 18 2013, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(1jwalters @ Nov 18 2013, 09:23 AM) *

TNSTAAFL.

The Cap'n

Good to have you back. Just 'cause you have a new account doesn't mean you get another free pass. I believe you've used yours, so you're fair game for my Krustiness ........................ HA!

Seriously, welcome back into the fold .........................

The Cap'n

I would expect nothing less from your holy krustiness!

Yepper, feels like I never been away............. beerchug.gif
stugray
Oh, you could definitely make it work.

Then put it in hurricane force winds for a week to charge a battery.
Then you might be able to drive for a couple hundred yards....

TNSTAAFL - Heinlein is my favorite

Quick sanity check:
~80hp = ~60 kw
60 kw wind turbine in 20 MPH winds:

http://masteringgreen.com/wipo-60-kw.html

So you need a windturbine bigger than a house and weighs thousands of pounds.
Chris H.
Anything's posssible blink.gif .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flge_rw6RG0

As fate would have it there's a bay window on the left...
barefoot

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

drunk.gif

Dead down wind faster than the wind DDWFTTW It works, see the videos
Barefoot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpdWHFqHm0
skeates
QUOTE(barefoot @ Nov 18 2013, 03:00 PM) *

Ambitious? Yes!
Doable? Yes!

drunk.gif

Dead down wind faster than the wind DDWFTTW It works, see the videos
Barefoot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpdWHFqHm0

The difference here is that (I think) the original poster expects to use the relative difference between the vehicle speed and ambient air speed (termed here as "wind") to power his vertical wind turbine which is in-turn expected to power the vehicle. Since this "wind" is actually generated by the vehicle itself there is no energy to harness that is coming from outside of the vehicle's energy system - hence the 'perpetual motion' designation. At best the original poster may be able to recoup some of the energy used to propel the car when he wishes to slow down in a form very similar to regenerative braking, but second law losses will severely limit exactly how much of that is recouped. If it is being used to capture energy from actual wind (e.g. energy in the atmosphere) then certainly this is no perpetual motion device...but as was alluded to before there simply isn't enough there to capture to reach his goal of a cross country trek, even if he had a constant headwind the entire way! Same goes with solar power (PV). There simply isn't a high enough energy density of solar radiation to power a car of this nature - especially given the pathetic efficiency of PV panels.

All that said welcome back to the site 1jwalters and good luck with your project. We all need hobbies! bye1.gif
messix
interesting. up wind at better than 2.0/1 speed.....

so once you get going ?????

http://phys.org/news/2012-07-blackbird-cart-fast.html
Dr Evil
Dont listen to Scooter, I am still here........for now ph34r.gif
1jwalters
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 18 2013, 01:12 PM) *

Oh, you could definitely make it work.

Then put it in hurricane force winds for a week to charge a battery.
Then you might be able to drive for a couple hundred yards....

TNSTAAFL - Heinlein is my favorite

Quick sanity check:
~80hp = ~60 kw
60 kw wind turbine in 20 MPH winds:

http://masteringgreen.com/wipo-60-kw.html

So you need a windturbine bigger than a house and weighs thousands of pounds.

Ughhh, well there is more ways than your way to skin a cat.

Funny how people seem to be soooo clairvoyant and just "know" what components I am going to use, even when I have said nothing at all.....

Well stugrey I am using components that you are not aware of....and I am using MY design of wind turbine which you do not comprehend of...I am not doing what others have tried and failed - what would be the point of that? Plus that would certainly make all my licenses and certifications questionable...

But thank you for your,,,,comment, I guess....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.