Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Case Stud Sealant?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NCRider
Hi Guys getting back on my project after a long delay. Im putting my cylinder studs in, do I need to use any sealant on the ones that are threaded thru the case?

Thanks Jeff
ConeDodger
Yes, Curel T I think...
NCRider
Thanks ConeDodger, I just so happen to have some.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(NCRider @ Nov 18 2013, 06:46 PM) *

Thanks ConeDodger, I just so happen to have some.

It's white as I recall...
NCRider
I'm looking at my sealants and Curl T is green. The more I look at this I think Loctite 565 would be a better choice and maybe what you are thinking of because it is white. It also doesn't get hard and is a thread sealant.
cary
When I did mine, using Jake's high school video.
It was white, but it was Permatex. The little bottle with the brush inside.
yeahmag
Curil T is what Jake was using for that last I read his site. His video is very old now and he has updated some of his recommended sealants (which you can also get from his store). Curil K2 is used for the case halves while you are in there. These (and many others) are what I used on my motors and they work well.
Mark Henry
I've used Curil T on 911 engines...not overly impressed. rolleyes.gif
Java2570
I used Loctite 565 on my case thru bolts....that's what was recommended in the list of sealants
I got from Jake's Type 4 store at the time. I think Permatex Aviation would still be good....
I wouldn't use Curil T on that area but the Curil K2 did do great for case sealing.
NCRider
My question is for the cylinder studs specifically. Is loctite or some sealant to be used. Several of those studs hole are thru to the internals of the case and others are blind holes.

Jeff
yeahmag
I used the Loctite (565 I think) there. I also used it on the rocker studs that go through the head. The Curil T was used on the case and head washers to act as a gasket.
I used the 574...pink stuff that I had laying around that Porsche used in the past. I have yet to see how well it holds up...good I hope on my part. Oh and some curl t on the case bolts below the big washer on the side of the case.
Mark Henry
I've used loctite thread locker and 565 without issue on studs.
I've also used the loctite purple anaerobic "replace a gasket" flange sealant (I forget the number.... 518 maybe?) it works as well.
jeffdon
I used Teflon pipe sealant compound. Seems to work.
NCRider
Thanks guys, I think Im going to use the loctite 565 that I have. It should work fine.

Jeff
Bulldog9
Is there a list of what sealants we need to use and where?

Case -
Thru bolts/case studs -
Case to cyls/spacers -
Cyls to heads -

NCRider
Steve I have a list that came with my Raby kit at home. I can get it to you tonight.

Going forward!

Click to view attachment
Bulldog9
QUOTE(NCRider @ Nov 21 2013, 06:41 AM) *

Steve I have a list that came with my Raby kit at home. I can get it to you tonight.

Going forward!

Click to view attachment

DUDE..... that is beautiful...... I'm about 2 weeks from this, dropping my crank assembly off to my mechanic tomorrow for balancing. And thanks for the list! I went to his site, but seems he no longer has the kit for sale.
NCRider
Recommended Sealants and their uses:

Curil K-2 Case haves and between cylinders/shims and case.

Loctite 565 Push rod tubes, case thru bolts, galley plugs and threaded fittings

Curil T use to seal the 4 lower head washers. The ones inside the head

Loctite 518 can be used instead of a paper gasket where the gasket isn't maintaining a clearance. Oil pump, camshaft plug
Bulldog9
QUOTE(NCRider @ Nov 21 2013, 09:18 PM) *

Recommended Sealants and their uses:

Curil K-2 Case haves and between cylinders/shims and case.

Loctite 565 Push rod tubes, case thru bolts, galley plugs and threaded fittings

Curil T use to seal the 4 lower head washers. The ones inside the head

Loctite 518 can be used instead of a paper gasket where the gasket isn't maintaining a clearance. Oil pump, camshaft plug

Thanks, is very helpful.

Never heard of Curil, was planning on Yamabond (used it on many motorcycle engines) or Permatex Aviation.

OK, so you do use something on the pushrod tubes. I am using Viton seals on both sides, assumed just a finger wipe of oil, but will use the sealant

Suprised to see different sealant used for the cam plug, expected would be the same as the case sealant. Wont the two react to each other where they overlap?

Also, any preference on which threadlocker to use on general assembly?

This motor is hurting my brain............. blink.gif
NCRider
Steve Im just going off of what Jake recommended/DIRECTED at the time I bought my kit. Look into the specs and characteristics of each of these sealants. Jake used them in these areas for a reason. Thats good enough for me. No need for me to deviate or try and reinvent the wheel. I pretty much already paid for that. Just follow the yellow brick road. pray.gif
Bulldog9
piratenanner.gif Well, I'm almost at this point, ready to start assembly, and in going over my parts list, I realized I never bought this stuff...... Unfortunately, the type 4 store (sold as a kit) isnt up yet.

Anyone have an idea on what sizes are needed? I'm thinking of the 50ml, but figured I'd double check first...

Also, any chages in the "current wisdom?"
Java2570
The tubes of Curil K2 & T that came in my T4 sealant kit are both 75ml but I only
used small amounts of each and have a bunch leftover. I ended up using most of the tube of Loctite 565 thread sealant over the course of the build. I think it was a slightly smaller tube, maybe 55ml.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.