Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: are new dashs available?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chrisz01
I would like to replace my 74 dash (the usual cracked part) has the instrument hump.

are new ones available?

If not any body have any experiance with Just Dashs in So Cal? if so your opinion of their work and the price you paid.

chrisz01
ConeDodger
Not yet, but...

Mikey914 at 914rubber.com may be able to cover it in leather or vinyl for you.
PanelBilly
Got mine done at 914Rubber and it looks great
Mikey914
I have 2 in stock. They are not exactly like OEM. The have had the crack filled and a thin layer of foam put over thedash before the vinyl is stretched over. They are like the OEM just slightly softer to the touch. If you push on the surfact there is about 1/8" of cushion, the OEM will not move much at all.

-Mark
Niklas
Do you have pictures ?

Are they for sale without return of the old ones ?
To sweden ? smile.gif

JmuRiz
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 20 2013, 08:15 AM) *

Not yet, but...

Mikey914 at 914rubber.com may be able to cover it in leather or vinyl for you.

Leather really....i've been wanting to do this idea.gif
boxsterfan
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
porschefile2010
Try High Performance House in San Francisco. I called in there a month or so ago and couldn't believe the sheer volume of parts from wrecked 914s. Certainly worth a try. PM me if you want more detail.
sbsix
Just Dashes in Van Nuys did a fantastic job on all my interior pieces including the dash. Not cheap, or fast but I was more than satisfied with the end result.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(sbsix @ Nov 20 2013, 10:57 AM) *

Just Dashes in Van Nuys did a fantastic job on all my interior pieces including the dash. Not cheap, or fast but I was more than satisfied with the end result.

Not cheap is right. In fact, freakishly expensive by comparison. Mine is done by 914Rubber in leather. Really nice!
sbsix
Taking nothing away from Mark at 914Rubber, of course. I had no real option 9 years ago when I was looking for new interior pieces and found that I could not replace everything with NOS or even really nice pieces since they were just not all available at any price. NOS dashes alone were going for $500 back then. Plus, I wanted to get rid of my ashtray and clean up the look of the dash.

I worked out a cash deal discount with them and paid less than $2K for all of my interior hard pieces to be recovered. Good as new, all matching and complete.

No idea what the price would be today, but I'm sure it's much more than I paid.
Highland
I got a quote last summer for $650 and $300 for the dash and knee pad with 8 week lead time. How much is it for Mikey914 dash? Pictures would be great. Is the vinyl continuous or are there seems? I've given up on trying to recover my dash myself and am also looking for the best option.
sbsix
No seams in the dash or the other pieces. I'll take a picture of the dash and knee pad tonight when I get home.
sbsix
not the greatest pictures but you can get an idea of the color/texture of the coverings. my car is pretty dusty inside right now, sorry
sbsix
the flash makes it look like there are flaws, but it's my poor photo skills
sbsix
next one
sbsix
last one, hope it helps
Mikey914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Nov 20 2013, 09:25 AM) *

Do you have pictures ?

Are they for sale without return of the old ones ?
To sweden ? smile.gif

I can, I just need to charge a core charge $75, is what I can find these for.
-Mark
Mikey914
Old photos,
I'll get some of what I have in stock
chrisz01
The dashes look great. Yes you are less expensive than Just Dashes. This will be a next year project for me. I bet your last remaining dash will sell quickly after this post. If you sell the last one this year will you consider doing more next year especially if some one was to send you their dash ? Thanks for the pictures. I am the one that purchased the black 74 2.0 flared 5 lug autocross 914 that was consingned buy Brad at 914 ltd advertised on 914 world. (Stunning black 74 2.0 street/track, Illinois). Just had it corner balanced at a Porsche race shop in Nor Cal and the owner said it was the best balanced car he has seen in a while The car came to a total weight of 1,982 lbs.

chrisz01
Highland
How much are the dashboards from Mikey914? Sorry if I missed it. Also what is the grain name on the MIkey914 dashboard? Thanks.
r_towle
I know that is the special stretchy vinyl, but is it available in other colors?

Rich
gothspeed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 21 2013, 01:28 AM) *

Old photos,

That looks awesome smile.gif! ....... is it possible to delete the astray and maybe fix the sagging part over the tach/gauges?
barefoot
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 21 2013, 04:28 AM) *

Old photos,

Are these complete dashes, or replacement covers to add over your present cracked pad ?
Mikey914
QUOTE(barefoot @ Nov 24 2013, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 21 2013, 04:28 AM) *

Old photos,

Are these complete dashes, or replacement covers to add over your present cracked pad ?

These are New vinyl stretched over the old dash after they have been filled. There is a thin layer of foam over the dash so it is slightly softer.
I may not continue doing these as the cost for doing so is about what I'm charging. My cost is $350 a dash and I charge $375. I have been taking a small margin to try to move these and with 2 on the shelf, I'm' not encouraged to have more made up. I am looking at bringing the Just dashes process in house, the investment is significant and there still s a bunch of labor, but if I can make it pencil out, I'll make it happen.

Mikey914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 21 2013, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 21 2013, 01:28 AM) *

Old photos,

That looks awesome smile.gif! ....... is it possible to delete the astray and maybe fix the sagging part over the tach/gauges?

Ashtray delete yes,
The sagging part, not so much. If the structure sags it's difficult to make it straight again.
nsr-jamie
How hard is it to install these? Does the front glass need to come out? Any plans for seat reupholstery kits with the corduroy inserts like the factory came with on some 914s?
ruby914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Nov 25 2013, 09:57 PM) *

How hard is it to install these? Does the front glass need to come out? Any plans for seat reupholstery kits with the corduroy inserts like the factory came with on some 914s?

PITA, NO, confused24.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Nov 26 2013, 03:58 AM) *

PITA, NO, confused24.gif

Removal and install is not hard. No windshield removal. Search for it as the instructions have been posted here several times, at least once by me about 10 years ago.
ruby914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 26 2013, 05:08 AM) *

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Nov 26 2013, 03:58 AM) *

PITA, NO, confused24.gif

Removal and install is not hard. No windshield removal. Search for it as the instructions have been posted here several times, at least once by me about 10 years ago.

Easier than rebuilding a transition.
I can't remember one of the 9 nylon nuts that are easy to get to. It's good to have a nurse to do that part for you biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I have never built a "transition".

As for difficulty, I guess I am just more adept than you at the mechanical stuff tongue.gif
dlkawashima

How hard is it to install these?

I agree with both the good Doc and Ruby ...... it isn't hard in the sense that you're simply unscrewing 9 nuts, but getting to those nuts is definitely a PITA. Some of the nuts (i.e., numbers 3 & 4 in the picture below) will seem impossible to reach, but patience, persistence, and the right tools should eventually enable you to prevail. I found that a knurled finger ratchet and a mini swivel head ratchet made the job a lot easier.

BTW, if your dash has never been touched since it left the factory, some of the nuts should be metal. In the picture below the metal nuts are #1, #6, & #9 but I can't recall if this is right, or if "3" is even the correct number of metal nuts. When you redo your dash, I recommend you make note of which ones are metal and replace accordingly.

Click to view attachment
kid914
Was someone not making these in CF awhile back?????
Whatever happened to them?
ruby914
QUOTE(kid914 @ Nov 27 2013, 05:40 PM) *

Was someone not making these in CF awhile back?????
Whatever happened to them?

Did I forget to PM you too? headbang.gif
PM, on it's way...

Here is the link to the "Remove dash top, step-by-step'' thread in the Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42757
JmuRiz
I think only one CF dash was made, going on new msds GT v8 car. Probably would cost too much for the typical 914 owner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.