Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too much HP on a 914 Subaru conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Tilly74
or two turbos... one small one, one big one
effutuo101
Kawasaki solved turbo lag by putting the turbo very close to the exhaust.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2013, 05:38 PM) *

I don't have boost lag. Smooth from start to finish.

I have that at around 300 hp with my Subie 2.5 smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(messix @ Nov 25 2013, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 25 2013, 09:59 AM) *

Turbo lag can be reduced by the following.

Ceramic ball bearing turbo's
Billet aluminum wheels and better metal technology
Better fin design technology
Twin scroll exhausts (two cylinders that fire at the same time feeding the same exhaust side giving more push per combustion)
Appropriate sized intercoolers, intake and exhaust piping.
More aggressive timing, and better gas

A combination of all that, with a smaller turbo that can be run at a higher boost more efficiently, IE if one turbo is efficient to 20psi but a smaller turbo is efficient to 35psi and therefore can make more power up there, you will have a gain in power and boost response.

Then there are antilag systems, but this is not something for a street car.

Variable vane turbos also

I dont trust those... Seems like a failing technology.. Only one production vehicle uses it (Granted its a 911 turbo). Personally I would rather have a nice twin scroll billet ceramic ball bearing turbo with an extremely efficient fin design than an overly complicated variable vane turbo.

BUT yes, I should have added them to the list... I thought about it, but didnt..
Britain Smith
I got about 400hp at the wheels with my JDM STi Spec-C 2.0L engine. It comes stock with a VF36...twin-scroll, ball-bearing. I run around 21lbs of boost on E-85 with dual turbosmart wastegates. smile.gif

At around 300hp, you start dealing with tire hopping in the rear suspension and putting the power down becomes a real issue. Trying to balance that out starts causes front suspension issues. It is a vicious cycle. Once you get that all worked out, then you start blowing up 901 transmissions. I run a 930 bog with 944 turbo CV's and a dual plate clutch.

Oh the fun...and the addiction smile.gif

-Britain
CptTripps
Ordered a rebuilt VF43. I think it'll be plenty for my needs. If I want to go bigger later...I will. I'll need to get a handle on driving it like this first.

I always thought that if I end up with anything over 300, this thing is going to be a blast. Guess we'll find out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.