Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove powdercoating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Does anyone know if powdercoating can be removed? I got a set of wheels from MikeZ and want to change color. Red just doesnt go with any color I want to paint my car. Can they be stripped and brought back to original? The silver or grey would go nicely with just about any color I go with.
Aaron Cox
bead blast?

edit: you working today? may be able to len a hand.....
skline
I have to go help with 2 satellite setups but then I will be back to work on the car. It's almost 12 now so I will probably be back around 2 ro 3.
Aaron Cox
lemme know IPB Image
Joe Bob
If you are gonna go black....just rattle can them. Scrtach them, rattle can them again....silver same thing.
DonTraver
Just use paint remover from Home Depot, etc. Works good, no scratches.
Carrera916
the last time I dealt with powdercoated engine tins, it had to be bead blast with red oxide which last a bit longer than glass bead. it does not come off easily unless the powdercoat job was done poorly.

i don't think paint remover could do the job.....i might be wrong but I know i've tried pretty much everything else but the blast to get the coat off ....very hard until i used the red oxide media, aahh a bit better....

j
skline
I am at work right now till around midnight, I will try it tomorrow on the back side of one of the wheels and see if the paint stripper will take it off. If not, I may just do as Mike suggests and just rattle can them with some silver. Maybe I will use that ceramic type paint, it seems to hold up pretty well and it looks nice.
Aaron Cox
can you powdercoat over powder coat? IPB Image
skline
I asked that too and Mike said he didnt think it would stick to it without stripping off the old first. Which makes sense when you consider it has to bond to the metal magnetically.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 26 2004, 09:48 PM)
....... bond to the metal magnetically.

wrong....

Electrostatically IPB Image

i dun lurned thangs at skool IPB Image
skline
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2004, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 26 2004, 09:48 PM)
....... bond to the metal magnetically.

wrong....

Electrostatically IPB Image

i dun lurned thangs at skool IPB Image

Ok Mr. brains, now explain Electrostatic and the effects.

Positive attracted to negative??? Hmmm
Trekkor
Why not try wiping one wheel down with acetone and painting it to your liking?

Maybe hit it with 0000 steel wool. IPB Image

KT
skline
Yeah, That is what I will try tomorrow if I ever got home from work.
Trekkor
How about a pic of those wheels?

BTW , you can get a "no sand" paint prep for painting over paint. That might be worth a try.

KT
skline
I will get pics tomorrow sometime and post them. Kind of a before and after thing. I still have to get spacers to install them.
John
You can powdercoat over powdercoat, but it doesnt turn out as nice.

One could heat the part prior to spraying the powder (which melts it as it is applied).

One way to "strip" the parts would be heat. They could be burned off (potentially hazardous to wheels). Other than that, bead or sand blasting would probably be the way to go.

If you are going to re-powder coat the wheels, the pits created while blasting will be filled in and smoothed out as the powder flows out during the curing process (oven).

I don't think any paint will stick well to powder coated parts.

just my $0.02
Mueller
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 26 2004, 10:33 PM)
How about a pic of those wheels?

BTW , you can get a "no sand" paint prep for painting over paint. That might be worth a try.

KT

please, no pictures until they are freshly painted...I don't think I can stand seeing those "hooker-lipstick-red" wheels anymore IPB Image

I'd try scuffing the coating and paint or the chemical strip..it's not going to be easy or quick
IPB Image
spare time toys
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2004, 11:36 PM)
can you powdercoat over powder coat? IPB Image

Yes you can. I had a CBR600 Honda I took apart and had the frame powder coated in blue then a clear powder coat over that it came out sweet.
East coaster
Paint remover works (the good stuff). I remove that crap from anything I ever get that has powder coating on it. Powder coating sucks! At least where I live, powder coating is a death warrant for the part that's been coated. It's guaranteed to corrode the part. Around here paint will protect the part 10 times better.
Joe Bob
Electrostatic can be done with both powder and wet systems. You ground the part, charge the paint, and it's attracted to the part because of the opposite charge. It can actaully "wrap" around some objects and coat the other side....it does not like tight corners...Faraday Cage Effect.

The advantage is that more paint is attracted to the product and you get a higher transfer effeciency..more objects per gallon of paint...powder not sticking can also be recovered and reused...to a point.

Powder coating REQUIRES an oven to melt the paint....thermoset/thermoplat....one will remelt....the other will not and is permanent and can only be abrasive blasted off.

You CAN powder coat over powder....you have to turn up the "juice" though nad it's not as effective in coverage....
skline
Ok, Powdercoating can be removed with chemical strippers. I just sprayed about a 2 inch spot on the back side of one of the rear rims and let it set for about 15 minutes. It took it off just like paint. The finish underneath however is very rough. I am wondering if it will be that rough all over. If so, the only option is to have them re-powdercoated to make them smooth. I dont think they could polish them and make them come out nice. So now my question is, should I just have the powdercoater bead blast them and recoat them in the color I want? Or should I strip them myself and then have them coated?
spare time toys
do it your self and save a couple of bucks.
Trekkor
Sometimes, I just let the pros do it.

What they do in a short time can take us days. ( Weeks. )
Put your energy somewhere else.
Unless you have lots of spare time and money. IPB Image

KT
Joe Bob
Scott....those wheels were "cosmetically challenged" when I got them.....I had them bead blasted and then double powder coated. They are smooth due to the powder. Blasting them again will just piss them off....do the rattle can...trust me... IPB Image
skline
The drawback to the rattle can job is that it will scratch when they put the tires back on. Touching it up with the tires on would be tough to not get paint on the tires and that would look like crap.
Joe Bob
Your going black right? Little masking tape and yer in....
skline
Actually, I wanted to go Silver like the factory color or maybe that ceramic looking silver color. I think it would look nice.
Aaron Cox
bead blast it all off....then powdercoat them silver
Trekkor
Scott, try to paint one first. Then decide.

try that Hammertone finish Rustoleum in silver. IPB Image

If you have to do a little touch up now and then...no big. IPB Image

KT
Joe Bob
Pebble finish....bead blast and leave it....make like yer from Bedrock....
spunone
You can use aircraft paint stripper then bead blast.Or give Burlington eng.in Orange Ca. a call they have done stripping of Powdercoating on wheels .Just my .02 IPB Image
skline
Just got off the phone with Specialized in HB, they quoted me 60 per wheel including stripping. They said if I strip them myself, it would be about 15 bucks less per wheel. Does that sound like a good price? I know it cost me about 65 per wheel to get my Fuchs polished.
Gint
At $15 per, I'd just let them do all the work. Blast and coat.
Trekkor
IPB Image

Send them out. IPB Image

KT
Joe Bob
Cheap....do it.

If you don't like the tires, since you are gonna dismount them anyways......lemme know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.