Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've made more progress, have a look
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I've got the right side just about done. I need to weld in the inner ear strut which will run up to what is left of the middle bulkhead (firewall)
URY914
I went and hung the wheel in it so you can see whats been done.
machina
that looks cool,

are you still going to have a full firewall and metal floor?
jd74914
Have you seen anybody about this addiction IPB Image LOL

Looks good
URY914
If you saw the last pic series, may you remember that the top of the right side frame rail was gone. This is the area just below the stock battery location. I welded on a patch piece of sheet metal and than covered it up with a few layers of fiberglass cloth to clean it up.
I also cut off the jack hole and cover it with f/g to keep the crap out of it.
Aaron Cox
still have sail panels?
URY914
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Dec 26 2004, 12:21 PM)
that looks cool,

are you still going to have a full firewall and metal floor?

I'll cut out the paasenger floor, the section which is in front of the square section which crosses the car. I'll put in a piece of f/g.

I'll put a fire wall back in but it will be lower than stock.
URY914
Last for now. That formed sheet metal gusset you see welded to the main hoop and the foward bar came from Fisher's Buggy's here in Tampa. Is a standard buggy piece that adds a lot of strength to the connection.

I plan on rolling it out of the shop next week for some better shots.
machina
what's up with your motor? (i mean motors)
URY914
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Dec 26 2004, 12:33 PM)
what's up with your motor? (i mean motors)

I'll put the same engine back in it for now. But I've got a 2.0 which I'm collecting parts for.

I like this one IPB Image
URY914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2004, 12:28 PM)
still have sail panels?

Yes but the sail panels and top bar will be f/g, of course.
Gint
Can you still call it a 914?
URY914
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 26 2004, 11:39 PM)
Can you still call it a 914?

Yes, without question. It is not "full tube frame".
It has stock engine. shock and suspension mounts.

P IPB Image
balljoint
This car is purely for A/X right? How do you think your mods would fair in a collision, with correct lights etc. (windshield?) could your car be road legal? Just curious, this is neat stuff. IPB Image
URY914
Yes, purely autox. Which is how I can get away with some of the things I've done. Like almost no steel in front of the front wheels or behind the rear wheels. The other reason is that my welding skills are not to the level that I want to trust my life on a roll bar/cage that I welded up.

If this was to be a road race car I would use the same basic design but use larger diameter bars and have a certified welder put it together.

As far as it would fair in a collision? It will be fine when I hit a cone at 70 mph, but if I t a wall at 30 mph, it would be a write off. No question about it. IPB Image

A guy has to know his limits. IPB Image

Paul
Air_Cooled_Nut
Looks more like a dune buggy than a 914 IPB Image
machina
I know you have years of experience driving, etc but I have seen firsthand 2 nasty accidents at an otherwise tame looking auto-x event. I have read about others on the web.

Just take that into consideration Paul, don't worry... even if you add a couple extra bars you'll still have the longest owned and lightest 914 in the free world. (and even the the not free world) IPB Image
Stutgart46
Paul,
What are you doing for a body? Are you using a Sheridan kit or are you making up your own?
Also, are you going to run in PCA and SCCA? Maybe you'll be giving Danny Shields a run fo his money. IPB Image
URY914
QUOTE (Stutgart46 @ Dec 27 2004, 07:29 AM)
Paul,
What are you doing for a body? Are you using a Sheridan kit or are you making up your own?
Also, are you going to run in PCA and SCCA? Maybe you'll be giving Danny Shields a run fo his money. IPB Image

The body is a fiberglass, GT flared, no-roof, special of my own creation. Danny is the only guy that beats me in our region's events. He is smoooooth.
Root_Werks
Damn Paul! IPB Image IPB Image Your 914 rocks! rocking nana.gif I bet you don't even need a jack to change out a flat tire! IPB Image
URY914
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Dec 27 2004, 10:08 AM)
Damn Paul! IPB Image IPB Image Your 914 rocks! rocking nana.gif I bet you don't even need a jack to change out a flat tire! IPB Image

Thats why I cut the jack receiver off. IPB Image

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.